new tape echo from ECHOFIX!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

Post by nadafarms » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:59 pm

I use my re150 with a meris reverb and love the combo, don't really care about the spring reverb on my 201. So if it's a good reverb then cool!

MuMetal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MuMetal » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Some folks make it sound like the spring reverb on a 201 is actually any good, and something worth including in a modern tape echo.

Frankly it is shit, thin sounding, and hardly a good example of spring reverb. I never use it, despite having had several Roland echos over the past 30 years.

But who really gives a shit about reverb in a tape echo? It doesn’t matter.

Echofix has been the go-to for parts for at least a decade. They know the strengths and weaknesses of original units.

Frankly, just the robust build, line level, instrument level, balanced ins & outs, along with CV control makes this attractive.

Price is roughly equivalent to a well-serviced vintage example. Similar to the Fulltone take on solid state and tube Echoplex models, and those have no problem selling.

Interest piqued!

Kazremark
Common Wiggler

Post by Kazremark » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 am

Yeah, I also don’t care about whether there’s a real spring reverb in this. I’ve already got an og space case and waiting for the new space case, but this definitely has me interested if it can get closer to that Roland sound.

megabeast
Learning to Wiggle

Post by megabeast » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm

Wow! Looks amazing.

lmgrovllum
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lmgrovllum » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:20 am

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the preorder after being annoyed (again) by the "tape" setting on the Eventide Timefactor / missing an old RE-201. Will see how this turns out... Paypal now provides something like 180 days for purchase protection so I'm not too worried 8-)

Funch

Post by Funch » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:25 pm

Yea but would you rather have an analog spring reverb or a DSP spring reverb if given the choice?

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:46 pm

mush wrote:
lmgrovllum wrote:Just saw this and I'm tempted. If the quality is as they say I'm sold on it - only other tape machines with cv control are the SE-500, TE-1, Vocu VTE 2000.
The T-rex Replicator is missing from your list. It is quite good IMO.
Yep. The Replicator (Euro) is lovely. :love:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:54 am

Funch wrote:Yea but would you rather have an analog spring reverb or a DSP spring reverb if given the choice?
But the thing is ... you're not given a choice so that issue is moot. I'd much rather not pay for an internal tank ... I mean, what if it sucks balls? You're then stuck with a tank that you're not using (and that you paid for!).

I'd prefer to retain the modular ethos and take advantage of the heaps and piles of reverb units offered these days than pay for a tank system in this unit.

DSP vs a "real tank" .... I couldn't care any less about that. In fact, I wouldn't want to be stuck with a tank that I don't use (and cannot sell) than have access to my own choice of reverb and not pay for one in this tape delay unit (or any other).

Personally I feel as though "a real tank" is more of a prestige item than anything really needed.

:cloud:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:09 am

Looks very cool, has lot of options, price it's a bit spendy, but compare it other new tape delays its in the same level, I already have 3 tape delays, the more basic evens super echo moving tape head, and speed, mod so it takes cv for motor, other is same tapedelay build in a solton power mixer, this has springreverb, and recently moded the motor that is driven by a bastl motor controller also modded so I have a direct wet output which I can mix in the mixer and better control over the feedback with eq etc, they were cheap both still cheaper than what those Evans super echo goes for, got in trade a t.rex replicator module this fun, and well the t'rex module or pedal are easy to take with you, which is a big advantage, doesn't has SOS, but I guess if want you can fake that with using a looper module or pedal before it and use wet out, and use saturation, yeah tape is something special,

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Re: new tape echo from ECHOFIX!

Post by kindredlost » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:38 pm

Yep. Bot this no hesitate. Fuck the spring reverb issue. I have plenty anyway and the true tape SOS is a major plus. I haven't had a good tape unit that was reliable for decades so this is a no-brainer. Bought plenty of extra cartridges to last through the pandemic.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:54 pm

kindredlost wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:38 pm
Yep. Bot this no hesitate. Fuck the spring reverb issue. I have plenty anyway and the true tape SOS is a major plus. I haven't had a good tape unit that was reliable for decades so this is a no-brainer. Bought plenty of extra cartridges to last through the pandemic.
They seem to have added real spring reverb and a switch to choose between it and the DSP reverb. Looks like a nice box.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:52 pm

Possibly not the best DEMO of the EF-X2 but I am very delighted with the sound of this delay. The beauty of that slowly shifting glide when the motor slows down is something I'll never grow tired of. I used an LFO with a very slow ramp into the CV Speed input. The sound source is a voltage controlled AM radio module I custom built. It is run through a frequency shifter and a couple of filters (LP to a BP).

The Echo Fix unit is built to perfection. It comes with a lovely cleaning kit and spare tapes. I used the Sound on Sound feature for this video. Playing the feedback knob and the spring reverb by hand.

More details bout the music portion and signal chain as well as gear used in the video is outlined at the YT page.

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:46 am

nice performance as usual, looks like you found a nice spot for the Echofix!
Last edited by thevegasnerve on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:56 pm

re: sound on sound, does it erase after one pass ala Roland or keep recording ala Korg?

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:49 am

everydaycurry wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:56 pm
re: sound on sound, does it erase after one pass ala Roland or keep recording ala Korg?
Telling from the blurred echo-y clusters in the video above, it seems to layer sound upon sound, a bit like the Multivox MX 312/Evans ES 780.

NIce.

Stephen

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:59 am

I really haven't stopped and taken the time to understand the Sound on Sound aspects fully but I do believe it layers nicely. It's not quite as strong as the Korg Stage Echo is at it. But it could be that I haven't set the feedback or Echo Level right. Even though the tape playback is outstandingly clear it does afford the expected degradation, controlled by EQ and record level so that is nice.

Here is another more percussive sequencer based use to hear some of the modes (3 & 5) as well a SOS at certain points. Also listen for the familiar but smooth motor stop and start behavior. I think I was in SOS mode when restarting the motor but as is usual the entire performance was inscripted and improvised so I don't recall exactly.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:17 am

appliancide wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:54 pm
They seem to have added real spring reverb and a switch to choose between it and the DSP reverb. Looks like a nice box.
Ah that's nice. It was a bit headache-inducing to think of someone making a lovely SOS-capable tape delay and then just using DSP spring reverb simulation on it, when spring is relatively easy. Nothing wrong with the option of lush, long digital delays too, obviously, but the target market is gonna want the option to use a spring sometimes...

This looks like a nice modern unit and it has the advantage that it actually fricken exists and is shipping.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:07 am

Agreed. The spring reverb is a welcome additon and fills the bill for someone looking to replace or upgrade from a Roland RE201. I remember the Re201 I had sounding a bit more tinny and metalic in the spring unit but it's been decades and my hearing isn't the same now either. This seems darker and more smooth somehow. I bought the last unit Vintage King had (I think) and it could be one made before the actual spring tanks were added but I haven't tried to find out just yet. Too busy having fun and visiting with family this weekend. It was my birthday and I had a lot of dinners and visits to deal with which took my attention away from my birthday presents (EF-X2). Ha. First world problems. I'm going to find out and if it's not one with it they have a kit to include them now. Like I said before, I have several actual tank spring reverbs but it would be great to have one inside the unit. The switch inside has the markings for Spring or Digital written in so I assume it does but bumping the unit doesn't cause the usual tank ringing sound you would expect. Hmmm...

Return to “General Gear”