SSL SiX desktop mixer!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Easterner
Common Wiggler

SSL SiX desktop mixer!

Post by Easterner » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:46 am

Seems like at $1,499 US that it could be a great set of (admittedly cut down versions of) SSL preamps, EQ, channel compressors, bus compressors, analogue summing...

https://solidstatelogic.com/six
“[It] offers two recording channels with SuperAnalogueTM mic pres, two band EQ, an essential one knob version of the classic SSL Channel Compressor, a new two-band Channel EQ, inserts and 100mm faders. There is a two-knob version of the legendary G-Series Bus Compressor on the main mix bus and the unique Listen Mic Compressor on the Talkback. In mixdown mode it is a very capable twelve channel summing system that offers analogue detail, depth and width to your mixes.”

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:50 pm

I´ll wait for the Behringer EiGTH with GigaAnalogueTM mic pres for just $399 :hihi:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:10 pm

I dunno - not enough channels for tracking anything into the DAW except stereo signals, one at a time (no way to do things like a simple five-mic drum set). And 12 is not quite enough channels to make OTB analog mixdown worthwhile, IMO, so it would probably end up being used only for tracking stereo synths and as a monitor controller for ITB mixdown. And there are already plenty of great products for those purposes. I think they trimmed the features just a bit too much.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:13 pm

Lovely features but I don't understand why modern mixers can't be square, housed in a nice square box. Why does it have to be shaped to look like an Autobot skull?

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:16 pm

EPTC wrote:Lovely features but I don't understand why modern mixers can't be square, housed in a nice square box. Why does it have to be shaped to look like an Autobot skull?
:lol: For real though.

This actually looks pretty cool feature wise, just not enough channels.

jules
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jules » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:49 pm

I want the same with direct outputs and 8 channels (all super analogue, with the ALT-in switch to line level).
Says the man who wants an upgraded X-desk.
Dieter: "who needs all this??!!??"
tak poo-poom

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:21 pm

While the price is reasonable for what you get I have to wonder what niche they’re going for here. Too few channels and too limited functionality for mixing duties, and SSL isn’t exactly my go to for characterful tracking, especially with only two preamps available.

Futuresound

Post by Futuresound » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:55 pm

Michael O. wrote:While the price is reasonable for what you get I have to wonder what niche they’re going for here. Too few channels and too limited functionality for mixing duties, and SSL isn’t exactly my go to for characterful tracking, especially with only two preamps available.
ITB folks with just a few pieces of hardware maybe? I don't quite get it myself either.

criticalmonkey
Ultra Wiggler

Post by criticalmonkey » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:34 pm

we have a couple of those super analogue channels at work - I'm not a fan of the pre,
but the idea seems pretty close to being good -
i think reimagining the mixer is a great thing - i suspect more to come in this space

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

Post by nadafarms » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 am

Considering your average 2 channel quality mic pre with eq is $2000... I think 1499 for some channels and a mixer is a great deal, ya cheap crybabies

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:28 am

EPTC wrote:Lovely features but I don't understand why modern mixers can't be square, housed in a nice square box. Why does it have to be shaped to look like an Autobot skull?
looks like those silly sides can be removed. But with "Logic" in their name why add this shit! You're paying for it, like a Gucci mixer, I suppose.
but still, give me 4 direct outs/channels. Not sure who would use this, maybe fancy elite podcasters? :despair:

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:36 am

nadafarms wrote:Considering your average 2 channel quality mic pre with eq is $2000... I think 1499 for some channels and a mixer is a great deal, ya cheap crybabies
have you heard it?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:41 am

If it is up to their usual quality, it seems like a stinkin’ good deal.

At least 5 channels of compression. Enough EQ for tracking. I bet it’ll come with some of the plug-ins in the near future so as to sweeten the deal. It’s fairly complete. Just needs a Remote DAW fader or similar.

I’ll try this at MusikMesse and report back.

zeit

Post by zeit » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:31 am

ITB folks with just a few pieces of hardware maybe?
Yes, exactly. This would be perfect for me. Plus, I'm huge fan of the Autobots. Optimus Prime is the man! :lol:

???
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ??? » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Yeah! That's actually what I'm looking for! I wonder if it's worth it...

ngarjuna
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ngarjuna » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:25 am

Kent wrote:If it is up to their usual quality, it seems like a stinkin’ good deal.

At least 5 channels of compression. Enough EQ for tracking. I bet it’ll come with some of the plug-ins in the near future so as to sweeten the deal. It’s fairly complete. Just needs a Remote DAW fader or similar.

Except the compressor is fixed ratio, attack and release...I doubt the SSL bus compressor becomes the classsic it is today without those basic adjustments.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:41 am

ngarjuna wrote:
Kent wrote:If it is up to their usual quality, it seems like a stinkin’ good deal.

Except the compressor is fixed ratio, attack and release...I doubt the SSL bus compressor becomes the classsic it is today without those basic adjustments.
Most of the features on the bus compressor were never used by many, many, many engineers. It's pretty much left in just a couple of settings.

ngarjuna
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ngarjuna » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:47 am

Kent wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:

Most of the features on the bus compressor were never used by many, many, many engineers. It's pretty much left in just a couple of settings.
Yes but...the settings that actually are commonly used by many, many, many engineers are the attack, release and ratio. It's not useless at 2:1 slow/fast but the idea that nobody ever adjusts the attack or release or ratio on the SSL bus compressor is weird to me. There's a big difference between 10ms attack and 30ms and one is not always the correct choice for every piece of program material.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:08 am

For an analog ‘press’ to run your DAW’s output through it might be quite cool. Vintage King’s overview video sounds fantastic. It does have precious few channels and looks like it’s aimed at the record-one-track-at-a-time musician. Two Alpha Channels with an outboard two channel compressor may arguably provide better fidelity but will at least double the price, only have one aux, and no faders. (This is what I am using) However you can rack mount the whole thing into 3-4U, which is not possible here.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Use this thread - viewtopic.php?t=215131
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Return to “General Gear”