Arturia MicroFreak

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

bradovic
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Arturia MicroFreak

Post by bradovic » Sun May 03, 2020 4:43 pm

This thing is just so much fun. The keyboard plays much better than expected , and theres a lot of range in the sound. It was also MUCH lighter and smaller than i expected lol. but at least the controls feel solid. On board reverb instead of slice and dice would make it a solid 10 for me.

jenamu6
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jenamu6 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:14 am

I wish you could have it arp on midi and still would have CV/gate for playing solo on top of it. Like two channels of control.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by lisa » Tue May 05, 2020 1:11 pm

MindMachine wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:36 am
lisa wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:52 pm
orangehexagon wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:20 am
lisa wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:55 am
The MicroFreak is quite expressive as a eurorack controller.

This is so good! :sb:
Thanks! :oops:
Very cool to hear it in a subtle voice.
Thanks! It this video I'm only using the MicroFreak as a controller, though.
My second ever track using Mutable Instruments Rings. Here paired with Make Noise 0-coast and Arturia DrumBrute and Korg Minilogue. A rather bittersweet piece. ❤️

diggida
Common Wiggler

Post by diggida » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:39 pm

Hey guys!

First time MW post here, so...wish me luck!

I have a microfreak and really like it. I'm on the brink of falling down the eurorack rabbit hole(have a rack, power, a MN Function, and a Moog GM, haha) and am wondering how useful the Microfreak would be as a sequencer for a eurorack setup. Would it be as useful as a keystep? Not sure how well the onboard features translate via the CV outs. Anyone use the MF this way?

Thanks!

pmboos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:41 pm

diggida wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:39 pm
Hey guys!

I have a microfreak and really like it. I'm on the brink of falling down the eurorack rabbit hole(have a rack, power, a MN Function, and a Moog GM, haha) and am wondering how useful the Microfreak would be as a sequencer for a eurorack setup. Would it be as useful as a keystep? Not sure how well the onboard features translate via the CV outs. Anyone use the MF this way?

Thanks!
Lisa paging you in the Arturia Microfreak aisle...
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:51 am

pmboos wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:41 pm
diggida wrote:
Hey guys!

Thanks!
Lisa paging you in the Arturia Microfreak aisle...
Hehe. :) I haven't used the sequencer much for controlling other gear I'm sorry to say. As far as I can tewll it works fine but the Arturia X-step line of controllers seem to be serious powerhouses for this kind of thing so my bet is that it would be better to go with any of them for the first setup.
My second ever track using Mutable Instruments Rings. Here paired with Make Noise 0-coast and Arturia DrumBrute and Korg Minilogue. A rather bittersweet piece. ❤️

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:23 pm

diggida wrote:
You've expessed no preference for Behringer either way nor have you suggested the use of sub-optimal power supplies in Eurorack, so you're doing just fine so far! In a month or two you'll get this. Probably sooner wrt to the former. :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:04 pm

Funny, when I decided to buy a Freq it was half as an interest to use it as a controller. For $300 it is a great controller and then it also has a nice synthesizer for free. Once I got it, and after seeing Lisa's videos, I was blown away by how versatile it was and how good it sounded. The controls are very expressive. For $300. After reading the OP post tonight I thought, crap, I never really tried it as a pure controller. So tonight I tried it with my mutt Euro rig and an ARP 2600. The CV out works in both cases, The Gate does not work in either and when I use it with Euro - the display on the Freq goes dark?! I reboot and all is well. This is into a Doepfer ADSR or Doepfer Vc Decay. Strange.

I'll dig deeper, but as a sound engine or stand alone unit it is incredible. As a modular controller... not sure yet.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

diggida
Common Wiggler

Post by diggida » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:59 pm

ObsoleteModular wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:23 pm
diggida wrote:
You've expessed no preference for Behringer either way nor have you suggested the use of sub-optimal power supplies in Eurorack, so you're doing just fine so far! In a month or two you'll get this. Probably sooner wrt to the former. :lol:

Welcome to the forum.
Ha, well, thanks! I'll be mindful of the minefields!

boingy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by boingy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:27 am

diggida wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:59 pm
ObsoleteModular wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:23 pm
diggida wrote:

Welcome to the forum.
Ha, well, thanks! I'll be mindful of the minefields!
I'm new too and now that you've mentioned those minefields I can feel their tractor beam drawing me in!

@MindMachine - the gate out works fine on my MF although it's connected to another semi-modular synth (that I can't tell you the name of because it starts with B) rather than Eurorack. Also, the screen on the MF goes dark if you have not twiddled a knob for a while so that might be a red herring. I find it very odd that Arturia decided to turn off the screen but leave the annoying octave button flashing! Great synth though.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:43 am

boingy wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:27 am
I find it very odd that Arturia decided to turn off the screen but leave the annoying octave button flashing!
Not that odd; the screen will break after being used X hours. The flashig led will probably outlive all of us. :)

boingy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by boingy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:05 am

lisa wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:43 am
boingy wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:27 am
I find it very odd that Arturia decided to turn off the screen but leave the annoying octave button flashing!
... The flashig led will probably outlive all of us. :)
Only if it survives me attacking it with a hammer when it finally drives me over the edge. :bang:
I'm actually considering spraying those two buttons black to tone down the flashing. I've currently got a bit of black tape over them!

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:47 am

Maybe this was answered before but does anyone have a way to reverse the polarity on the MIDI plugs? It seems Arturia has their own standard, I can't connect my Microfreak to my Digitakt, for example. Wanted to have the Digitakt controlling the Microfreak but after an hour of banging my head it seems impossible.

boingy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by boingy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:04 am

My Microfreak came with adapter cables. Use those if you have them.

There are two versions of the connections, nominally named type A and Type B. The tip and ring are swapped from one to the other because there was no standards. The MIDI organisation has now standardised on one of them but that does not help all the products out there with the "wrong" version. To make matters worse the latest Novation products meet the published standard but not their older ones. So you can buy a Novation MIDI adapter cable that does not work! So what you actually need, and I've never seen the product available commercially, is a stereo jack plug to stereo jack socket lead that swaps the left and right channels! Easy to make if you can solder.

J0ris
Learning to Wiggle

Post by J0ris » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:11 pm

I got myself a Microfreak and played with it for a few hours - lots of fun. Not perfect, but nice raw digital tone for the money. I love how dirty it can sound, and how much life/expressivity you can ingest using the mod matrix.

I am now wondering about the Korg Minologue XD, which of course also has algorithmic oscillators, including ports of Mutable Plaits. Has anyone compared the Microfreak with the (user wave part of the) Minologue XD?

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:09 pm

FYI ordered me up a BOSS BMIDI-5-35 cable: https://www.boss.info/global/products/bmidi-5-35/

This cable came recommended on another forum for interfacing the Microfreak with MIDI Type A equipment. Will give it a spin when it arrives. Maybe will produce a whole album using the Microfreak and Digitakt!

pmboos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:33 pm

So question, I think I want to get a stand for my Microfreak, but I'd like to have it all on its own at the corner intersection of two of my double full size keyboard racks and sort of staggered below the top keyboards and above the lower ones. (I have these at right angle to each other...)

So far the best thing I have found is platform designed to hold a small speaker or monitor that attaches to a microphone stand. Anyone have recommendations?
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:12 pm

I used this for small stand alone synths and it’s been ace:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lity-stand

pmboos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:35 am

chvad wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:12 pm
I used this for small stand alone synths and it’s been ace:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lity-stand
Nice - thank you - that looks like just what I was searching for...
---

diggida
Common Wiggler

Post by diggida » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:07 pm

Hooked my Micro Freak up to my Neutron and its a pretty fun combo. Had the MF sequencer working the Neutron and was fun for have nice big analog bass running under some chords. Big thumbs up here.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:59 am

This puppy is like a Plaits with presets

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:07 am

Bob Borries wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:59 am
This puppy is like a Plaits with presets
And polyphony. :loves:

diggida
Common Wiggler

Post by diggida » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:25 pm

And mod matrix and touch capacitive keyboard and arpeggiator and sequencer! :-)

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:44 am

diggida wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:25 pm
And mod matrix and touch capacitive keyboard and arpeggiator and sequencer! :-)
… and … Borries already mentioned presets.

I have this thing for about 4-5 months and frankly have not dove in as deep as I should have. But even just on the surface it is likely the best value ever for any musical piece of equipment. If I had more room I would likely have a second, but I need to learn the first, first.

I'm pumping it through pedals to see which work if any for processing not looping etc.: EH Analogizer, Boss GE-7 EQ, Behringer Spectrum, EH Attack EQ, MXR Carbon Copy, Hotone EKO, Boss Hi-Band Flanger…
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

diggida
Common Wiggler

Post by diggida » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:15 pm

It really is an impressive and unique product at an amazing price. I’m sure it’s not for everyone, and I didn’t think it was for me, but I’m happy to be wrong.

Return to “General Gear”