Effect Pedal Recommendations please

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Effect Pedal Recommendations please

Post by resetlfo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:19 am

I would like to get couple of effect pedals for drums and synths .

I need some advices for good ones .
firsts ones in my mind are the eventides , but I never experienced on them , dont know the how good they sound .

Vintage cheaper ones are very welcome . !

thanks

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 am

If you're new to pedals then I'd suggest getting the Zoom MS-70CDR as a first step - it's cheap, versatile and works well with synths.

It's not the most boutique or high-end pedal, but will give a good idea of the type of FX you find useful/interesting and a good baseline for measuring other more expensive pedals against.
Last edited by Muzone on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Granny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Granny » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 am

pedals i use often and can fully recommend for synths:

Zoom MS-70CDR
Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy
Ibanez Bi Mode Chorus
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo

and a couple of DIY pedal kits

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:14 am

Muzone wrote:If you're new to pedals then I'd suggest getting the Zoom MS-70CDR as a first step - it's cheap, versatile and works well with synths.

It's not the most boutique or high-end pedal, but will give a good idea of the type of FX you find useful/interesting and a good baseline for measuring other more expensive pedals against.
Absolutely couldn't agree more, the 70CDR is a very versatile pedal, and it always surprised me at how good is sounded. Definitely something to just buy anyway.
Eventide stuff is very good, high quallity, but I find the sound is very cliched at the mo, it's nice, but no matter what you do with it it always has "that sound" which is all over the place these days.
Don't forget budget stuff like the Behringer pedals, cheap and very cheerful.

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resetlfo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 am

super !

would love to hear great vintage ones also . !

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resetlfo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:23 am

mousegarden wrote:
Muzone wrote:If you're new to pedals then I'd suggest getting the Zoom MS-70CDR as a first step - it's cheap, versatile and works well with synths.

Absolutely couldn't agree more, the 70CDR is a very versatile pedal, and it always surprised me at how good is sounded. Definitely something to just buy anyway.
Eventide stuff is very good, high quallity, but I find the sound is very cliched at the mo, it's nice, but no matter what you do with it it always has "that sound" which is all over the place these days.
Yes this is what I hesitate about eventides.

I am after more organic devices , more muddy & analog sounding

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 am

resetlfo wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Yes this is what I hesitate about eventides.

I am after more organic devices , more muddy & analog sounding
Older stuff is always a good bet, but you pay a premium price. Even though modern replicas of old pedals can sound more muted, or "muddy" they don't have that really organic feel of the originals, for some reason they seem to always iron out the best bits of the sound! The originals tend to be noisier, limited bandwidth, and all sorts of other grunge going on, but these things are what make them what they are, new ones attempt to give you that sound without any of the so called bad side effects, but in doing so they throw the baby out with the bath water.

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:38 am

Does the Zoom MS70CDR have reverse reverb?

Mikro93
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mikro93 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:47 am

booger wrote:Does the Zoom MS70CDR have reverse reverb?
It does (ReverseRv), as can be seen here, on p.18:
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... t_v2_0.pdf

+1 for the MS-70CDR. Great, great stuff, on the short list of things I regret having sold.

The Boss LS-2 is a very, very useful utility pedal for synths, allowing you to run two chains of effects in parallel (or having a dry and a wet chain), and much more, with a small form factor.

At the moment, I use the Line6 M5, great swiss knife, only one effect at a time though. But it's stereo, which is especially useful for distortions.

Having an analog delay pedal to wub wub is always a good idea, even a cheap one :)

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:01 am

My favourites, (at the moment)

Analogue pedal - MXR Carbon Copy, can get really nice and dark and isn't so expensive (plus holds resale value well so you wouldn't lose a lot buying'n'trying)

"not too expensive" reverb - TC electronic T2, digital but has toneprint so you can really dig deep into the settings

slightly oddball pedal - Catalinbread Bicycle Delay, takes a while to figure but can get very weird and wonderful

These 3 would probably cost less that a Strymon/Eventide and arguably be far more versatile, unless of course you want "that sound" instead of "your sound" ;)

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:10 am

MS-70CDR is great, so many things in a small interface so it demands investing time and some effort to get the best of it.

I really wish Zoom makes an upgrade version of MS70CDR, twice the size, soft nice switches for table top operation (for synth users in mind), 10 knobs for pramas and, most importantly, LFO or some modulation options to modulate effect params, would be super to have CV inputs for them. Twice the price, which would still be bargain. Please make it, it will sell for sure.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:19 am

Interesting to see the MS-70CDR recommended so much. The MS-50G is a little cheaper and apparently has nearly all of the effects, I've heard...

All the MultiStomp pedals and the G1(x)on/G3 have the same DSP, just different interfaces and sets of effects. I have a G1on that was something like $40 and I basically never use it... maybe I should give it another try though.

G1on's interface isn't the friendliest though -- menu diving required just to adjust levels etc. That could be part of why it sleeps in a drawer.

Mikro93
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mikro93 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:03 am

starthief wrote:Interesting to see the MS-70CDR recommended so much. The MS-50G is a little cheaper and apparently has nearly all of the effects, I've heard...
And even more. But the really interesting 'verbs and delays and modulation effects are in the MS70-CDR :)

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:09 am

I just returned a zoom G3 back to a mate. I didn't like it, although I really wanted to as it was free and had heaps of fx. Amp simulators, overdrive and distortion, reverb, and modulation effects were all noticeably 'meh' sounding on synths and drum machines. You can't turn knobs and perform fx due to stepping. Compressor, limiter, then 4chained delays was cool but even in that ambient wash territory there was a 'bad muddy' tone not a good one.
I'm now using a Behringer echo machine for cheap and cheerful delay. I like it way more than the zoom G3. Clear enough, characterful enough, again free from a mate. You could keep an eye out for one in your classifieds.
Note: I'm monitoring on good headphones and mini monitors, not on my brutally revealing monitors. I'd be even more picky through those.
I hope the ms70gr sounds better than the G3, it must if everyone recommends it.

Anyone able to suggest a higher end reverb that's modern dsp and not Eventide space, strymon, or meris? That they prefer to those? I need a good reverb and I'm flinching at the prices (that are reasonable for quality gear, just ). :75:
I want modern deliciously detailed and clear. I got old 80s rack units for the murk.

Back to OP: boss ge7 for eq (totally underrated fx type too, eqs and filters emphasising tones prior to other pedals is great). T-cube myomorpha as a Rat clone (copy of a copy of a clone type deal). Waldorf 2pole (not a pedal but so rad)

Shout out to Muzone suggestions I'm following up 2 of those myself.

Fx are where it's at, keep striving

Ra
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ra » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:32 am

Don't know if this is the kind of "effect" that you're looking for, but I love the Minifooger Drive pedal for some nicely shapable dirt.
Even more versatile if you can mix it with a bit of the original signal - I repurposed the stereo L/R channels of a sampler as mono Clean/Dirty, with the panning controlling the amount of dirt.
Last edited by Ra on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:38 am

Forgot to mention the amazing Yamaha Magic Stomp, got some great doubling presets and the reverbs are fantastic. Difficult to choose actually, if I had to, between that and the CDR70.

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 am

Another "not really that expensive but not exactly cheap" pedal I'm interested in hearing is the Mooer Ocean Colour
https://www.juno.co.uk/products/mooer-o ... 666629-01/

Seems to offer quite a bit but hard to find a demo, may have to do a "buy'n'try"......

rod_zero
Common Wiggler

Post by rod_zero » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Check out empress reverb and echosystem.

Also great value for the money: Boss DD500 and RV500; Source Audio Ventris and Nemesis.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Muzone wrote:Another "not really that expensive but not exactly cheap" pedal I'm interested in hearing is the Mooer Ocean Colour
https://www.juno.co.uk/products/mooer-o ... 666629-01/

Seems to offer quite a bit but hard to find a demo, may have to do a "buy'n'try"......
Check out this guys videos....I thought about this too, but I think that it could become a bit of a cliche in terms of ambient stuff, a bit like Eventide. Does it really offer anything new in this respect? Modern effects technology depends on sound itself, it's not like the invention of a piano,or a violin say, where the instrument is dependant on other factors like notes and scales, and how we apply them. Effects are instantly recognisable, for better or worse.

[video][/video]

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:40 am

I'm not so sure Mouse that effects become always recognisable but what I do think becomes cliché is the (over)use of pedals that do one distinctive thing, for me it's the "tape emulation pedal" that gives me the :roll: feeling

The cheaper pedals may not have the gloss or finesse of the "blue box" but I've always found that 3 or 4 decent but not bank-breaking pedals in a chain give far more scope for sound tailoring that one mega-box.

Things like runnning a mono synth into an analog delay then a stereo verb, sending each of the outs to a digital delay set a little out of sync can get interesting.

So I'm not sure that the Mooer would be a cliché pedal - with 2 independent delays and 17 different delay types, 9 different reverb types and (the inevitable!) shimmer effect I think you could come up with a few programs that would be pretty individual?

Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:37 am

Something crucial for both drums and synths is, in my humble opinion, a good compressor pedal. It's barely there when you turn it on, but turn it once, and you'll never ever want to turn it off. I can suggest you the Dynacomp. Not too expensive, very decent, sturdy as hell.

I also personally love using a Micro POG on a monophonic synth (or voice) as it beefs up the sound very nicely. I never tried it on drums, really dislike it on guitar but I love it on synth and know someone who makes full live sets of herself looping her violin and adding layers with a POG, and it sounds incredible.

These effects aren't as demonstrative or obvious as all the Strymon/Eventide/weird/strong effects that have been mentioned so far I guess, but I like effects that enhance my sound and respect the OG signal and sound source instead of changing it entirely. I sure can't live without my compressor and Micro POG anymore. Avoid the Nano POG though, it doesn't track very well.

Zenn
Hired Geek

Post by Zenn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:10 am

My Favourites:
- Aria FL-5 Flanger. Best. Flanger. Ever..
- Korg DST-1 Distortion. Just wonderful, bit noisy
- Ibanez Shark Distortion. Not as crunchy chewy as the korg, but it has a build in noisegate that makes it very comfortable to use
- Boss DD7. Trigger IN, CV IN, wide range of delays, stereo, mono... what more would you want from a delay?

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Drolo Molecular disruptor

a bit weird but good for drums, synths. .
8 crazy effects, eg. ringmod, pitch shift, glitch delay, filter..
more efx downloadable.

https://www.davidrolo.com/product/molecular-disruptor/

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

more videos on the drolo website

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Another Zoom fan here.

Zoom G1on is good for setting up once, then using as a send effect on a mixer. Also works great on vocals.

Zoom G3n is really nice for live tweaking because of its knobbiness, and good for switching on and off effects in the chain.

Volca Keys - not bad. Volca Keys + G3n - people ask me how much I paid for the gorgeous synth.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:11 pm

I just got an Earthquaker Afterneath. It's definitely not a typical reverb! More of a diffuse cluster delay thing.

"Diffuse" softens the attack of those delays so they're less distinct pings
"Length" smears and repeats/extends the decays.
"Drag" affects the predelay and the spacing between each delay. (CCW = more delay, CW = less, which feels backwards.)
"Reflect" is feedback.
"Dampen" is a gentle LPF.

At the minimum, there's a 150ms predelay and the delays ring out for about 0.9 seconds.

The longest Drag setting multiplies that by about 430%, so around 650ms of predelay and 4 seconds total.

With minimum drag and maximum Length and no feedback, it rings out for about 29 seconds :eek: so you can expect 2-minute long reverb tails before even dialing in any feedback. (It'll be very quiet well before it hits one minute, but still present.) Feedback will let you keep it going forever, quite smoothly.

The sound is fantastic and works great with synths, at least if you want something a bit more ambient and weird or bouncy and particle-y.

I have the V2 version, where the stomp button is silent instead of clicky and I'm surprised at how much I love that.

First pedal I've bought in about 3 years and it's a winner :tu:

There are three features that would make it perfect in my eyes:

-- Shorter possible predelays. Typically when I set up a reverb it's got a very short or zero predelay; the minimum of 150ms here means you're not going to use it for certain material. But it's good at what it does, and it does long and weird.

-- CV control over Drag. Since it pitch-shifts whatever's in the buffer, that would have been nice with an expression pedal or Euro sequencing/modulation.

-- A Freeze button to automatically maintain just enough feedback to keep the level steady. Honestly, maintaining an infinite sustain manually is still pretty easy manually -- with a 2 minute decay time the consequences of too little feedback are pretty minor and easily recovered from. :)

Return to “General Gear”