especially good user interfaces?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

especially good user interfaces?

Post by DeanG » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:37 pm

What synth ui has seemed really GOOD to you?

IMO the nicest one I've used is the Arp Odyssey, (in my case the korg version). With the exception of the pitch bend pads of course. Otherwise everything seems to fall right to hand and the sliders offer quick visual feedback and playability with amazing modulation ability.

Also remember really enjoying my Pro One.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:08 pm

The Odyssey has one huge design flaw that inhibits live use a bit: no octave switches on the oscillators.

Nicest interface for me still goes to the Nord Lead 3. By far the greatest implementation to assign modulation ever.

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:36 pm

I never found a problem with the odyssey. I assume you're not referring to the 3 position 1 octave up one octave down switch, but something on each individual osc? It all depends on usage I suppose.

oldgearguy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oldgearguy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:40 pm

whether you love or hate the sound, the DSI Prophet 12 has the best synth UI I've ever used. Even the dreaded Mod Matrix which is usually a downfall on most other synths is extremely easy to use on the P-12.

The only niggle I have is displaying time-based things like delay in 0-127 units and making you go to the manual to look up the number to time mapping.

Ramases
Common Wiggler

Post by Ramases » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:04 pm

The UI on Synthtech's E352 is really well done. One push button encoder and a screen.
It took about 2 minutes to figure out and has all the settings readily available without any menu-diving.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Juno 6/60/106

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Alesis Ion is really good considering how powerful it is. The best synth I’ve ever used.

The Korg Minilogue is great too. It can’t do a fifth of what the Ion does but what it does it does well and it’s easy to use. The built in oscilloscope is pure genius. The second best synth I’ve ever used.

I’ve tried most of the classics but they’re often way too limited for my liking. It’s easy to make a good UI for a basic synth. I can’t be impressed by that. :despair:
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

RedLab
Common Wiggler

Post by RedLab » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:41 pm

+1 for Arp Odyssey and synths with sliders in general (with one function per slider). The visual feedback of parameter positions is so much better than with knobs it's like pseudo patch memory; whether you memorize the most important settings in a patch or taking an actual picture it's much easier to capture and recreate.

Nord leads are great too, they're very easy to become friends with

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Nord 3 without a doubt. The knobs are also super solid and niiiiiice.

darenager
Bad Mother Fucker

Post by darenager » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:42 pm

SH-101 - once you know it you can look at it and know more or less exactly how it is going to sound.

Mattman389
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mattman389 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:44 pm

No Model D love? It's by far the most immediate synth I've ever laid hands on. Especially if you have a reissue, no need to route a cable to get that sweet sweet feedback.

cube48
Common Wiggler

Post by cube48 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:30 am

+1 for Nord Lead 3, especially the modulation visual feedback assignment mentioned above.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 am

Wiggling the knobs on the Nord 3 is almost as good as doing the same on a horny woman's nipples. It made me think that rubberised knobs should have an additional dimension of control : grabbing and pulling them.

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:01 am

More Pansòti
Less Panason.

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:58 am

Mattman389 wrote:No Model D love? It's by far the most immediate synth I've ever laid hands on. Especially if you have a reissue, no need to route a cable to get that sweet sweet feedback.
I've never had a minimoog model D, but I have an SE02 now as my only synth and I find the model D inspired design a joy to use. Patch memory, sequencer, and xmod section open up the possibilties and are easy and accessible to use. I am sure a model D is a blast.

Downside of se02 ui is not small knobs as some say, at least for me. Rather the advantage offered by the patch memory and digiital controls come at the cost of some delay in response at times. Most of the time for what I do this is not a problem and I went with the se02 instead of the all analog behringer D to have the patch memory.

The SE02 has given me new appreciation for what Moog did in developing a performance synth for musicians in the minimoog, as well as ARP's Odyssey. I think the ui was a priority with the earliest performance monosynths. Someone said it is easy to develop a good UI for a basic synth. I disagree with that.

solitud
Ultra Wiggler

Post by solitud » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:53 pm

GrantB wrote:Juno 6/60/106
+1
There is a reason the Junos are still sought-after. True *one knob per function* design, no hidden "page2" functions like on an OB8.
Sliders and buttons are well spaced out and every parameter makes sense.
There are no deadzones in the parameter ranges, everything feels like a sweetspot. It helps also that the build quality is excellent and the sound fantastic.

Prophet 6 is also very good. But because it has more functions it also has proportional more flaws. They got the part with the parameter ranges not quite right, especially Env Amount and Velocity.
https://modulargrid.net | modular database
https://f0f7.net | SysEx in the browser

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 pm

I'd argue that praising Junos and the like is a bit like praising a Husky-brand hammer for its UI. Yeah it's a good design but it's a simple tool and also based on previous designs. Most 70s and early 80s synths are based--both in architecture and UI--on the Minimoog, which admittedly they got right. But once you want to make a more complex tool it's a lot harder to keep the UI really good. For something more complex I'd say the DSI Poly Evolver is a really good example. Knob per function would have been impossible with the mod matrix but the menus are mostly shallow and it does have a knob and button for all of the main features. Plus the sequencer is fully hands-on like an old school analog one. The combo mode implementation is the exception.

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Blofeld - super easy to program given the complexity vs number of knobs.

rod_zero
Common Wiggler

Post by rod_zero » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Panason wrote:Nord 3 without a doubt. The knobs are also super solid and niiiiiice.
Yep, the fact that the led rings can reflect the actual values of parameters makes using layers very easy.

The modulation assigment is a breeze, and the whole implementation of the multitimbral mode is perfect with layers, spits and chord memory.

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:50 am

Almost all gear from 70s-early 80s are with very good UI (especially Moog and Roland). MU modular that save design ideas from Moog Modular (or just clones of them) are good too.

In modern era Mutable Instruments has very clean and clear design which I like.
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:07 am

Knob per function vintage analogues / knobby digitals are all going to be good here.

What is interesting is newer synth designs shoehorning dense functionality into less dense interfaces. Nord G2 Modular is incredible for the density under the hood in my opinion

Kudos to the Lead 3. Prophet 12 also fantastic.

I also really like the UI on the Toraiz SP-16 sampler - super intuitive. I've never looked at the manual.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:47 pm

drxcm wrote:
What is interesting is newer synth designs shoehorning dense functionality into less dense interfaces. Nord G2 Modular is incredible for the density under the hood in my opinion
Oh yes. Especially for more complex patching, the user interface on the G2 and the original NM are both by far the best UIs I have used. I can actually patch those synths far faster than patching my real hardware modular (or any other synth, for that matter).

The ability to put the modules on screen wherever makes the most visual sense, the ability to copy & paste chunks of a patch, the well organized module category tabs, even the options for how a mouse move will affect a screen knob.

Plus, of course, the actual hardware controls on the surface of the synth, which are very flexible and can be optimized for each patch...

I really do wish this product line had been continued. Imagine what a new G3, leveraging all the latest tech, would be like....

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:30 pm

Roland System 100m. A full modular with normalling of pitch CV and gates throughout the cabinets so you need literally one cable to make a patch if you want. Every module has more inputs and outputs than you need, with attenuators on them so you have a built-in mixer everywhere you need one. All filters and VCA's have signal LED's so you can see at a glance that signal is present and whether it's overdriving that input or not. Plenty of built-in multiples and jack converters all over the place so you're never far from one. It's the best modular interface I've ever encountered.

Also the OP-1. Super intuitive and color-coded.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:08 am

I find Elektron gear very easy to get around on (well, except Octatrack, but I struggle with sample-based gear that exceeds a shallow threshold of complexity).

Another vote also for the Minilogue. It's designed in an intuitive way so it's not necessary to memorize the manual to do deeper things with it, but it's also not dizzyingly deep. It's just a well designed little analog poly, exactly what I was looking for.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:37 am

OP-1 for me. It was my first ever musical instrument; and although I did learn almost zero thing about actual synthesis; it got me hooked up ! It's a beauty to hold, everything is so clear & color coded on the screen and it's fun to use on it own.

Recently I've found the Digitakt to be very easy to learn & navigate; all I needed to get started was a 5min demo at the shop. They really nailed it there.

Return to “General Gear”