Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Overstayer Modular Channel - Who has one?

Post by inoshi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am

SmokyClap wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:26 am
Same company makes a mono version that offers slightly pared down versions of all the same features for around $1,400. Search Overstayer Imperial Channel. Sounds like you’re looking for a stereo device, though.
yea definitely needs to be stereo.
visible cow wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 am
If software is ok I would highly recommend Soundtoyz Decapitator. Otherwise maybe keep an eye out for an Overstayer ID-4. That OTO machines box looks nice too but I'm not personally in love with the interface (saying this as a BAM owner).
I ended up going this route for now, except w/ fab filter plugins. I spent the extra cash on a better audio interface so that i can process multiple stereo channels separately, which has given me a lot of ideas. thanks for the suggestion, it has been very satisfying.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am

inoshi wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am
I ended up going this route for now, except w/ fab filter plugins. I spent the extra cash on a better audio interface so that i can process multiple stereo channels separately, which has given me a lot of ideas. thanks for the suggestion, it has been very satisfying.
If you decide to look at hardware again in the future, Overstayer's Stereo Voltage Control would fit your criteria. It has a Harmonics switch for saturation, and it is an excellent stereo VCA compressor on the mixdown buss or sub-mixes. Seems to fit your description, since you said you didn't need the EQ and filtering.

Another option would be Louder Than Liftoff. Their Chroma+ is in the $1,500 price range and offers preamp coloration, as well as slots for Colour Modules to customize your unit. They make a great 1176 compressor Colour Module that would work in there, though it has limited control over the settings. You can even slot in tube or transformer saturation modules.

I was looking for nearly the exact same type of thing a few months ago, but I also wanted mic preamps for recording. I would love to have a Modular Channel but can't really afford it. But I got extremely lucky and found an Overstayer Dual NT-01 and bought it. There weren't many of these made. It's a dual mic preamp and DI with Harmonics (2nd/3rd order switchable) plus a FET compressor on each channel.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 am

Jason Brock wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am
inoshi wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am
If you decide to look at hardware again in the future, Overstayer's Stereo Voltage Control would fit your criteria. It has a Harmonics switch for saturation, and it is an excellent stereo VCA compressor on the mixdown buss or sub-mixes. Seems to fit your description, since you said you didn't need the EQ and filtering.

Another option would be Louder Than Liftoff. Their Chroma+ is in the $1,500 price range and offers preamp coloration, as well as slots for Colour Modules to customize your unit. They make a great 1176 compressor Colour Module that would work in there, though it has limited control over the settings. You can even slot in tube or transformer saturation modules.

I was looking for nearly the exact same type of thing a few months ago, but I also wanted mic preamps for recording. I would love to have a Modular Channel but can't really afford it. But I got extremely lucky and found an Overstayer Dual NT-01 and bought it. There weren't many of these made. It's a dual mic preamp and DI with Harmonics (2nd/3rd order switchable) plus a FET compressor on each channel.

man those all sound great, i especially like the idea of the Chroma+, i'll have to look into what is available for this. Added all them to the research list. thanks for the suggestions! I plan to circle back to the hardware options eventually.

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:36 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am
i was looking for nearly the exact same type of thing a few months ago, but I also wanted mic preamps for recording. I would love to have a Modular Channel but can't really afford it. But I got extremely lucky and found an Overstayer Dual NT-01 and bought it. There weren't many of these made. It's a dual mic preamp and DI with Harmonics (2nd/3rd order switchable) plus a FET compressor on each channel.

Nice! If you ever want to get rid of it just give a holler!
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

Return to “General Gear”