new Roland TR-8S plays samples

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:56 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote: This, you can kinda edit samples but that changes them for every kit , start time , filter per track etc, all though surface level can be different. So it doesn’t have close to the edit options the Elektron has, if they fixed this then the Digi would be in real trouble.
It's ok to dislike Elektron products, but it's risky to buy a product with the hope that features that are not there today, will be added tomorrow. I've made that mistake a couple of times in the past.

If you want more capable sample playback, I'm sure you can find alternatives to both Roland and Elektron
I totally agree, given Roland’s past experience, I certainly wouldn’t hold my breath. I would never by it in hope.
FWIW I love elektron products, I will always keep my MD. I just prefer the sound of other machines. Most samplers I love are too archaic for me these days.
I'm monitoring the Rossum Assimil8or - it's the next-gen iteration of the sampling/sample processing engine that appeared in the Proteus 2000 and last generation of Emu hardware samplers. Of course the price of entry when cost of case, power supply, etc. is added dwarfs the TR-08S'.

Before the TR-08S was announced, I'd been leaning towards the TT-78. Might still go that way, we'll see. In either case, sampling is not a consideration as I still have my other audio mangling devices.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:09 am

wtf indeed. :despair:

Is this reddit?

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:17 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:Are pelican and Panason ‘samefag’ as the school boys at chan would say?
Quoting this to preserve it for posterity. :yay:

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:55 am

:lol: Pelican

Ok so confused by this manual yet again, are sample tones the same as user samples?

In which case you can edit filter ,spread, bitreduction, and envelopes per channel. It’s only truncation that’s fixed globally , so the only bummer is not being able to mod start and end points.

Hope so, that makes it a lot more appealing.

Edit : Thanks DGtom, seems you had already clarified this on closer inspection, just thought it was part of the same section in the manual. Like you say it wouldn’t be beyond Roland to do something like that though :deadbanana:
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flabby » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:25 pm

i might be wrong, but I'm sure I saw in the manual you could motion sequence 'waveform'. So would that mean you can motion sequence to trigger different samples on one track? Kinda round robin?

Also, on page 5 it seems you can have independent track lengths too.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:01 pm

This seems like a must have for me. I won't pre-order though because if I do it will be bug laden and or broken upon receipt. Maybe i'll have one in the next 6-8 months-ish :sadbanana:

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:09 pm

flabby wrote:Also, on page 5 it seems you can have independent track lengths too.
Yep, this has been shown in a couple of the videos.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

zedius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zedius » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:12 pm

I didn't like the implementation of the "Flam" on the last one - you could specify spacing but not velocity. Maybe a dumb way to describe it, but I want my flam to ba-BAP not just ba-bap or BA-BAP. Basically I want a ghost note.

Has anyone seen if this functionality exists on the -8s?

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Panason wrote:

Elektron are fucked. OB will never work as promised. You will always have digital audio sync issues if you are using another audio interface alongside OB. The new Elektron toys are not designed for serious studio use, but for people who just have one or two elektron boxes and a laptop. "Total backup" is a fucking joke they way they implemented it... it's like the awful iPhone sync where you can wipe the contents of your device with one click. Total BS that doesn't belong in studio gear.
Okay, but how do you really feel?

cake100
Common Wiggler

Post by cake100 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Yloopz wrote:Nice those the individual outs. Great for triggering modular (using the Rytm and/or the Toraiz at the moment) interesting...
On the TR8 when you assign say the rimshot to output A or B, it does not work properly with my SH-101.
The workaround is make your own device or install a mod.
So you may want to clarify this works on this release.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 pm

I have recently bought a TR-08 and TR-09 both, i was going to buy a digitakt when i sold my 2 electribes but now that this is out, i want it more. The tr08 and tr09 can stay in the studio for when i want the authentic sound or travel. I will never get rid of them. The tr8s looks sick. I just preordered one in fact and will let my electribe money sit in my account until then :mrgreen:

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:01 am

no CR-78? :despair:
pre-ordered, for the samples. :tu:

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:16 am

thetwlo wrote:no CR-78? :despair:
pre-ordered, for the samples. :tu:
It comes with POWER TOOL samples built in! I was sold when i heard that much.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:50 am

Is there a list of factory samples anywhere ?

I know this is tr8 but somebody posted it on GS and it made me laugh (kink parody)

We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:06 am

zedius wrote:I didn't like the implementation of the "Flam" on the last one - you could specify spacing but not velocity. Maybe a dumb way to describe it, but I want my flam to ba-BAP not just ba-bap or BA-BAP. Basically I want a ghost note.

Has anyone seen if this functionality exists on the -8s?
i noticed this listening to some youtubes, i seems like it's kind of on or off for some stuff like that, whereas you can get the in between areas with the boutiques. I think maybe sampling is in order if you wanna have the in betweens on the 8S. Either way, we can hope it starts shipping soon, i'm very impatient for it alrady :yay: and I am going to find a microSD i can keep in the 8s... so many drum WAVs collected.... :twisted:

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:I have recently bought a TR-08 and TR-09 both, i was going to buy a digitakt when i sold my 2 electribes but now that this is out, i want it more. The tr08 and tr09 can stay in the studio for when i want the authentic sound or travel. I will never get rid of them. The tr8s looks sick. I just preordered one in fact and will let my electribe money sit in my account until then :mrgreen:
This may or may not be the right call depending on how important sampling is to you. From what has been shown so far, the TR-8S does not sample, and its ability to handle loaded samples is limited compared to the Elektron stuff.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 am

"It plays samples!"

Really ... it's 2018, ffs.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:59 am

"...complains about electronic music gear on internet forums."

Really ... it's 2018, ffs.

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Panason wrote:ffs.
ffs

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Exclaiming what year it is, my favourite argument in 2018.
909, manic trilling courtesy of Make Noise René and DPO, wavetable bass by Disting and some soft melodies by the Korg Minilogue. I mainly sat and watched it all unfold. :eek:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Not complaining about this one, more like mocking. :twisted:

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Actually is Two Thousand and Hating

But why you feeding him. Besides I have a hunch it’s whats his name.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:53 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:From what has been shown so far, the TR-8S does not sample, and its ability to handle loaded samples is limited compared to the Elektron stuff.
But being able send the samples to individual ous is HUGE to me at least or use as triggers.
Since it has sound out via USB it would've been cool if the 8 outs were TRS and could be configured as send/returns like on the Emax II and others(?)

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:08 pm

thetwlo wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:From what has been shown so far, the TR-8S does not sample, and its ability to handle loaded samples is limited compared to the Elektron stuff.
But being able send the samples to individual ous is HUGE to me at least or use as triggers.
Since it has sound out via USB it would've been cool if the 8 outs were TRS and could be configured as send/returns like on the Emax II and others(?)
The other guy said he was going to buy a Digitakt, which implies a certain level of expectation regarding sample playback and processing capability. But if he was thinking of just using it as a drum machine, with the sample playback aspect of secondary importance then the TR-8S might be the better fit.

Def hear ya on the 8 outs. Looking forward to hearing how the triggering actually works out.

zedius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zedius » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:31 pm

sutekina bipu-on wrote:I think maybe sampling is in order if you wanna have the in betweens on the 8S.
Yep. I think even if I have to load sampled kick drums that already have the ghost note I'll be happy. Obviously a major reason to buy an Aira product instead of a more powerful sampler is the ACB and not the samples, but I think that being able to load samples will allow us to augment the engine in creative ways.

And I'm glad that Roland is listening, but does anyone else find it funny that they listened to the folks who were whining for samples? Every time I saw "Why can't I load my own samples?!" it made me chuckle a bit because those owners really had no idea whatsoever, and now Roland is like "Here you go!"

Squeaky wheel, I guess :)

Return to “General Gear”