Behringer Model D - CV Osc 1v/Oct (INPUT) Issues?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
globalwm
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:49 pm
Location: ABQ, NM

Behringer Model D - CV Osc 1v/Oct (INPUT) Issues?

Post by globalwm » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi,

I just hooked up my Behringer Model D this weekend and cannot seem to get it to respond to CV inputs on the OSC section. Being somewhat familiar with the original, I made sure I had at least one OSC turned ON and its Volume turned up.

I have tried several CV sources and sequencers from my Eurorack but nothing seems to work. Any others experienced anything like this so far? I am listening with the headphones on and nothing comes though.

I can test with the A-440 button (section 3.1.6 on the manual
and hear that tone when engaged. However, I am unable to access any of the Special Modes (section 4.9 on the manual) - that doesn't seem to work at all. Nothing flashes.

I am also unable to update the firmware since it seems like it is Windows only (.exe) and I am on OSX. Not able to check what firmware I'm running either as I'm unaware on how to tell.

Looks like there is a firmware update released on 1/25/2018 :
https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/b ... 480289.pdf

Addressed Issues :
1. Set the pitch CV to zero volt after power on.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thank you.

User avatar
globalwm
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:49 pm
Location: ABQ, NM

Re: Behringer Model D - CV Osc 1v/Oct (INPUT) Issues?

Post by globalwm » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:50 pm

globalwm wrote:Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Contacted Behringer Tech Support in the meantime: 702-800-8290 as the retailer I purchased it from could not assist.

Actually, funny story - I called the retailer (MF) today and they gave me a number to call for product support on this. When I dialed the number (800-536-8463) it was Sweetwater. I explained to them what happened and confirmed that they are not contracted by MF to do product support. Wow...

Maybe GC is headed where Gibson guitars is going?

User avatar
estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1147
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Post by estin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:01 pm

^ LOL even GC knows Sweetwater is awesome. :guinness:

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:12 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post by dubnspace » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:09 pm

I know this may be a stupid question but since you don't mention it, I assume you're sending it a gate signal as well?
have you tried over Midi to make sure unit is working?

User avatar
ziggomatic
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:49 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Post by ziggomatic » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 pm

dubnspace wrote:I know this may be a stupid question but since you don't mention it, I assume you're sending it a gate signal as well?
have you tried over Midi to make sure unit is working?
+1 for this reminder, make sure you are sending a gate signal to either FC Gate or LC Gate, and make sure the the envelope settings are good (IE make sure the sustain knobs are all the way up). With Atk & Dcy set to 0 and Sus set to max on both envelopes, you should be able to hear the synth tracking when your gate input is high. Also obviously make sure your filter is open (set to max).

I got mine to work with CV just fine using one CV for FC gate and one for OSC v/oct tracking.

User avatar
globalwm
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:49 pm
Location: ABQ, NM

Post by globalwm » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:29 am

dubnspace wrote:I know this may be a stupid question but since you don't mention it, I assume you're sending it a gate signal as well?
have you tried over Midi to make sure unit is working?
Not stupid question - that was it! After establishing a working patch via MIDI sequence, I switched over to CV and needed to send in a GATE signal (from my BSP) to LC GATE INPUT (#40 below) as well.

Image

I guess I got hung up on not hearing anything from the OSC and expencting something to stream out like my other modules.

Thank you!

User avatar
globalwm
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:49 pm
Location: ABQ, NM

Post by globalwm » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 am

ziggomatic wrote: +1 for this reminder, make sure you are sending a gate signal to either FC Gate or LC Gate, and make sure the the envelope settings are good (IE make sure the sustain knobs are all the way up). With Atk & Dcy set to 0 and Sus set to max on both envelopes, you should be able to hear the synth tracking when your gate input is high. Also obviously make sure your filter is open (set to max).

I got mine to work with CV just fine using one CV for FC gate and one for OSC v/oct tracking.
Image

Thank you - this is what I needed to hear. Got everything working last night and glad that was all that it was (noob mistake).

I will play with the other modes and also sending VELOCITY from my BSP to the Filter of the BMD.
"True love is rarer than an Oberheim 8 voice" - Andre

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Re: Behringer Model D - CV Osc 1v/Oct (INPUT) Issues?

Post by Panason » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:13 am

globalwm wrote:
I am also unable to update the firmware since it seems like it is Windows only (.exe) and I am on OSX. Not able to check what firmware I'm running either as I'm unaware on how to tell.
Ah yes, the wonderful world of Behringer ... I'd be super cautious about updating the firmware. Basically if the synth works ok, don't.

User avatar
EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1344
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 9:01 am
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Post by EPTC » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:42 pm

I remember being similarly confused with a Moog when I first got CV control. Yes, always send a Gate with CV to Pitch; The gate will open the envelope, and decay to silence as it's set on ADSR until another Gate signal pings it. A good way to think of this is a gate opens up the sound of a signal - on/off. You gotta open the door to let in the sound, to make a metaphor.

Depending on how the Behringer is wired, you might be able to just put a ghost cable in (1/8" plug) there to permanently keep the sound open. That works with later-era Moogs. Or, as others are saying, syncopate Gate with Pitch.

You mention you're using a BSP - I think that's a 10-12v gate, so you might want to attenuate that. Find as low as possible an attenuation setting (dialing it to zero through an attenuator, and then slowly dialing it up until you find the spot where the Gate triggers - or just meter through something like an O'Tool)

Reason being, if it's identical to the Model D, you'll want to be careful to not send a 10v Gate, as the spec on Model D's is 0-5v. I've been able to keep the Gate on a Model D open with something as low as 2v sent on the manual gate switch on a Walking Stick Ribbon (though with heavy attenuation-Walking Stick defaults to 10v), which works nicely as a way to hold the note open and then send whatever CV I have into Pitch or into Filter - Benefit here is you wouldn't have envelopes happening, it'll just be sustained tone. But measure out the Gate you're sending into the Behringer (or find specs on the voltage of the Gate) as over time anything over 5v might wear down the component. (if it's a true spec-for-spec clone, that is)

Happy exploring!

User avatar
globalwm
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:49 pm
Location: ABQ, NM

Post by globalwm » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:53 pm

EPTC wrote:I remember being similarly confused with a Moog when I first got CV control. Yes, always send a Gate with CV to Pitch; The gate will open the envelope, and decay to silence as it's set on ADSR until another Gate signal pings it. A good way to think of this is a gate opens up the sound of a signal - on/off. You gotta open the door to let in the sound, to make a metaphor.

Depending on how the Behringer is wired, you might be able to just put a ghost cable in (1/8" plug) there to permanently keep the sound open. That works with later-era Moogs. Or, as others are saying, syncopate Gate with Pitch.

You mention you're using a BSP - I think that's a 10-12v gate, so you might want to attenuate that. Find as low as possible an attenuation setting (dialing it to zero through an attenuator, and then slowly dialing it up until you find the spot where the Gate triggers - or just meter through something like an O'Tool)

Reason being, if it's identical to the Model D, you'll want to be careful to not send a 10v Gate, as the spec on Model D's is 0-5v. I've been able to keep the Gate on a Model D open with something as low as 2v sent on the manual gate switch on a Walking Stick Ribbon (though with heavy attenuation-Walking Stick defaults to 10v), which works nicely as a way to hold the note open and then send whatever CV I have into Pitch or into Filter - Benefit here is you wouldn't have envelopes happening, it'll just be sustained tone. But measure out the Gate you're sending into the Behringer (or find specs on the voltage of the Gate) as over time anything over 5v might wear down the component. (if it's a true spec-for-spec clone, that is)
This was excellent explanation and I'm tracking with you on attenuating the Gate. I have a inline attenuator cable but is there something else you would recommend?

Thank you!
"True love is rarer than an Oberheim 8 voice" - Andre

User avatar
milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1489
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:19 am

Post by milkshake » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:50 am

globalwm wrote:
I have a inline attenuator cable but is there something else you would recommend?

Thank you!
You need to send a gate to BOTH envelopes to trigger them.
Seems to be an easy mod, just solder some wire between the sockets, but I still haven't found time to do it.

For full velocity sensitivity, you'll need 2 outboard vca's. One for every envelope.
Shall I ... blablabla ... to thee.

The more you pay for something, the less likely you are to critise it.

ContraPoints

User avatar
globalwm
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:49 pm
Location: ABQ, NM

Post by globalwm » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:18 pm

milkshake wrote: You need to send a gate to BOTH envelopes to trigger them.

For full velocity sensitivity, you'll need 2 outboard vca's. One for every envelope.
Interesting - ok, I see. So, that also reminds me of the saving: You can never have enough VCAs. :)

dtb200
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:25 pm

Re:

Post by dtb200 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:24 am

globalwm wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:29 am
dubnspace wrote:I know this may be a stupid question but since you don't mention it, I assume you're sending it a gate signal as well?
have you tried over Midi to make sure unit is working?
Not stupid question - that was it! After establishing a working patch via MIDI sequence, I switched over to CV and needed to send in a GATE signal (from my BSP) to LC GATE INPUT (#40 below) as well.

Image

I guess I got hung up on not hearing anything from the OSC and expencting something to stream out like my other modules.

Thank you!
I had the same (noob) issue so this thread was v helpful, thank you all :-)

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”