Mixer crisis...

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Mixer crisis...

Post by mousegarden » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 am

I'm at tipping point, between getting rid of things because it's ever expanding, or carrying on with even more "stuff" Like I'm running out of mixer channels, but I don't have the space for a big desk, I need something with the maximum number of channels in a small footprint, I can go a bit bigger than 19 inch format, but not much. I'm having to run all of my stereo keyboards in mono, and I'm using a sub mixer, which I don't like, it's cumbersome and not very flexible.
I've got four stereo sources, a couple of tape decks, 2 Monotrons, 2 mono synths, computer returns. I'm up to about 18 inputs with just that lot.
I'm finally thinking of getting a digital mixer, if that would give me more inputs.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:19 am

If you can do some multi-tracking / overdubbing you could save some money...do you really need to mix all those 18 channels live?

If not then you 're gonna need a mixer. There are some digital mixers without faders, for mixing in the DAW.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:17 pm

2-step mixer crisis solving:

1. sell everything
2. buy digitakt

:party:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:22 pm

^
Hows that doing for individual outs?
I didn't think so.

Waiting for Overbridge? :hihi:

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:28 pm

Mixer Crisis is a good band name

JosefK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JosefK » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:31 pm

Same situation. I am using a Midas f24 with two patch bays. Very flexible!

jabs
Common Wiggler

Post by jabs » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:09 pm

Patchbay, patchbay, patchbay. I'm working on studio consolidation after years of rampant gear accumulation, and a patchbay plugged into whatever my final studio and/or live mixer is will be the solution.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Mixer crisis...

Post by CF3 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:32 pm

mousegarden wrote:I'm finally thinking of getting a digital mixer, if that would give me more inputs.
A Midas M32R + Behringer SD16/SD8 (over AES50) would be pretty slick

On the analog side of things:

- Expand with a Rane SM82s (8 stereo channels), Can be had pretty cheap
- Speck Xtramix
- Speck X-Sum
- Any number of 1U-2U rack mixers

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Panason wrote:^
Hows that doing for individual outs?
you don´t need them...you don´t need nothing more...well, maybe a little midi controller, but that´s all
strangegravity wrote:Mixer Crisis is a good band name
indeed!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:10 am

A digital mixer will solve your crisis.

rustedimac
Common Wiggler

Post by rustedimac » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:36 am

I use a behringer X18. Real good stuff for cheap.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:59 am

Make room for that big studiomaster that's still sat behind my wife's dressing table!

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:07 am

Thanks, the analogue mixer plus patch bay is out, I've tried it, loads of wiring, and patching things up kills the moment for me, it's like another layer of stuff to get in the way. The digital route is attractive, in a number of ways, some digital mixers give you lots of inputs, great, they also have good effects and compressors, that means less stuff elsewhere. Also, some have on-board recording, and even act as an interface, even better.
All I really need to do now is figure out which digital mixer, I need it to be as simple as possible, without too many layers and endless menu diving, and access to as many hardware faders "live" as possible.

:hmm:

Update, the Allen and Heath Q24 seems to do everything I need, amazing in fact, 32x32 audio interface, on-board USB recording, 4 effects engines, and 24 hardware faders. Now there's just one thing to sort out....the f*****g price...

:ripbanana:
Last edited by mousegarden on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:24 am

mousegarden wrote:Thanks, the analogue mixer plus patch bay is out, I've tried it, loads of wiring, and patching things up kills the moment for me, it's like another layer of stuff to get in the way. The digital route is attractive, in a number of ways, some digital mixers give you lots of inputs, great, they also have good effects and compressors, that means less stuff elsewhere. Also, some have on-board recording, and even act as an interface, even better.
All I really need to do now is figure out which digital mixer, I need it to be as simple as possible, without too many layers and endless menu diving, and access to as many hardware faders "live" as possible.

:hmm:
Behr UFX1604

or

YAMAHA MG16XU

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:29 am

I route all my synths trough a Roland M480 line mixer and then patch that to my main mixer. It's gigantic and rackmounted.

For recording it works great or I can easily re patch a single synth or two into the main mixer if needed.

I have 160 also that is pretty awesome.
Last edited by TheDegenerateElite on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 am

TheDegenerateElite wrote:I route all my synths trough a Roland M480 line mixer and then patch that to my main mixer. It's gigantic and rackmounted.

For recording it works great or I can easily re patch a single synth or two into the main mixer if needed.
Mg is right though, the analog mixer into an interface thing sucks, it is only okay if you spend forever getting your levels PERFECT into the mixer and your whole recording layout set up in your DAW, and it still sucks. God forbid you have to change any of the gain settings you have your mixer going into. It's just not worth the trouble unless you have some analog only mixer that is so good it has to be recorded with, and then you would really just need a 2 channel interface.

If you can afford it , why not get a Behringer X32 or similar and never have to look back for any reason...?

I have a roland MX-1, it's my favorite thing on earth, would i recommend it to anyone who doesn't have at least 3 roland Aira or Boutique? Never. But it was enough to teach me that all the effort you can put into an analog mixer and interface, is money better spent elsewhere and unless you work entirely or mostly "out of the box", just get a nice interface and let your DAW handle it. (sure, get a usb controller for the faders)

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:47 am

I don't have issues patching things and setting levels.

But then again, I don't multitrack the entire mixer in one go. Why would you into a DAW?

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:55 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:Mg is right though, the analog mixer into an interface thing sucks, it is only okay if you spend forever getting your levels PERFECT into the mixer and your whole recording layout set up in your DAW, and it still sucks. God forbid you have to change any of the gain settings you have your mixer going into. It's just not worth the trouble unless you have some analog only mixer that is so good it has to be recorded with, and then you would really just need a 2 channel interface.

If you can afford it , why not get a Behringer X32 or similar and never have to look back for any reason...?
You're thinking the same as me about my current set-up. And, I'm only using 2 channels of I/O on my interface anyway. I treat my recordings like live stereo performances, so I never use more than two inputs. But the mixer is the heart of everything, a performance tool. The Behringer would be fine, but it's only got 16 inputs, so I wouldn't be any better off, I need a minimum of 24. My budget needs to be as low as possible, within what I need, about £5,000 tops I guess.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:59 am

tIB wrote:Make room for that big studiomaster that's still sat behind my wife's dressing table!
Ha Ha! I'd love to, but it's just too big...

:ripbanana:

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:13 am

MY GAAAADDDD!!!

A&H Q24....you can't apply EQ per channel, you have to assign channels to sub-groups first. It takes a few button presses to just make faders post-fade, in short, it just confirms all I feared about digital mixers.
No, it's not happening, whatever the solution ends up being I'm sticking to analogue.

Wray
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wray » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:28 am

mousegarden wrote:MY GAAAADDDD!!!

A&H Q24....you can't apply EQ per channel, you have to assign channels to sub-groups first. It takes a few button presses to just make faders post-fade, in short, it just confirms all I feared about digital mixers.
No, it's not happening, whatever the solution ends up being I'm sticking to analogue.
Mixers are unfortunately always a concession. Unless you buy a Neve. But for 5000 it should be possible to buy something decent.
For much less you can buy a Mackie like this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2404VLZ4 I personally like the colorles preamps of the mackie.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 am

Wray wrote:
mousegarden wrote:MY GAAAADDDD!!!

Mixers are unfortunately always a concession. Unless you buy a Neve. But for 5000 it should be possible to buy something decent.
For much less you can buy a Mackie like this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2404VLZ4 I personally like the colorles preamps of the mackie.
I've just been looking at the Soundcraft Si Impact 32, it seems more logically laid out, and operationally more like an analogue desk than the A&H Q series.
Mackie desks are fine, but the EQ isn't that good to me, I have a small 1202VLZ at the moment as a sub mixer, it's great, clean, but that's about it. The 24 channel Mackie is also rather big, and a Mackie's secondhand value is almost nothing.
Last edited by mousegarden on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobule
Common Wiggler

Post by bobule » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:42 am

soundcraft mtk series worth a look if you dont need inserts..

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:44 am

bobule wrote:soundcraft mtk series worth a look if you dont need inserts..
Definitely need inserts, I've got four compressors running.

Wray
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wray » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:53 am

mousegarden wrote: Mackie desks are fine, but the EQ isn't that good to me, I have a small 1202VLZ at the moment as a sub mixer, it's great, clean, but that's about it. The 24 channel Mackie is also rather big, and a Mackie's secondhand value is almost nothing.
I'm afraid that's the 'concession part' ;)

But, I hope you find your mixer.

When you use usb you can do all the eqing in your daw

Return to “General Gear”