Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed May 13, 2020 12:57 am

Thanks, Mark :)

Virustian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Virustian » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm

Recently purchased a neutron and fell in a love - hate relationship with it.
What I love is the price ,the midi clock to lfo, the shape morph, the patch bay expandability and the bang for the bucks modules that you get for 300e.
One S&H, VCO and a slew module could cost you more than the whole synth.
But I think that the filter is unbearable on this one, causing a lot of unpleasant screeching when cranked to hi resonance ,reminds me more of an overdriven EQ with a high Q rather than an aggresive MS20 blast. I think the reason overdrive sounds nasty to many people is the filter. When I bypass the internal filter and route the signal to an external filter module ,suddenly the synth is being transformed to a characterful beast, aggresive but juicy. I tried many workarounds before this conclusion, but I think that the mofatt filter does not have many sweet spots and overdrives the drive-vca stage in an unpleasant way when the resonance is cranked from 10'o clock and above.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Virustian wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm
Recently purchased a neutron and fell in a love - hate relationship with it.
What I love is the price ,the midi clock to lfo, the shape morph, the patch bay expandability and the bang for the bucks modules that you get for 300e.
One S&H, VCO and a slew module could cost you more than the whole synth.
But I think that the filter is unbearable on this one, causing a lot of unpleasant screeching when cranked to hi resonance ,reminds me more of an overdriven EQ with a high Q rather than an aggresive MS20 blast. I think the reason overdrive sounds nasty to many people is the filter. When I bypass the internal filter and route the signal to an external filter module ,suddenly the synth is being transformed to a characterful beast, aggresive but juicy. I tried many workarounds before this conclusion, but I think that the mofatt filter does not have many sweet spots and overdrives the drive-vca stage in an unpleasant way when the resonance is cranked from 10'o clock and above.
Is this still true if you use the patch bay to bypass all of the overdrive stuff and route a clean osc mix directly to the filter, and the filter out directly to the VCA, VCA directly to main out?

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Virustian wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm
But I think that the filter is unbearable on this one, causing a lot of unpleasant screeching when cranked to hi resonance ...
By default, the filter is overdriven. It sounds better if you reduce the signal level going into it. Have you tried patching an attenuator between the oscillators (e.g. Osc Mix) and the filter input, and ideally another one between the filter and the VCA?

That's how I normally use mine, and I bypass the overdrive too; just:

OSC Mix -> ATT1 -> VCF In

VCF1 -> ATT2 -> VCA In (bypassing the Overdrive section)

ATT1 can also be voltage controlled, and despite what it said in the manual, it is not patched from ASSIGN by default - nothing is. I like to set ASSIGN as MOD, and patch it to Shape1 or Shape2, or the filter CV (oddly called Freq Mod) but ATT1 CV is another good candidate.

You can also try patching the Overdrive section between the oscillators and the filter, instead of the first attenuator.
MatriceNeutronforPatchs.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AndyHornBlower on Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Virustian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Virustian » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 am

Actually I've not tried patching both attenuators to filters I-O , i've tried only patching the input or the output with no satisfying results soundwise, but if I patch osc mix straight to a moog filter, even in high levels of overdrive, the external filter sounds way better. I'll give it a try with your recommendation and post my experience later! Thanks!

Return to “General Gear”