Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:18 am

Just got mine. First impressions (note - usually first impressions are too stellar and just skim, but nonetheless here they are...)
1) it's a beefy monster
2) I enjoy the delay more than I thought i would.
3) i've not gotten my head around the lfo just yet, admittedly, I'm not too sharp
4) the instrument begs to be played
5) the red and overall aesthetic is just fine with me

As you were ...

azrrik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by azrrik » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:08 am

Broadwave wrote:Oh, oh... I'm having a bit of a problem with external CV control of the Neutron's VCOs.

If I use the Neutron via MIDI (Roland System 8/Kronos) everything sounds fine with both VCOs scaling correctly, but if I use either the Arturia Keystep/System 8 or ARP 2600 Keyboard CV output (BTW, all 3 are calibrated for precisely 1V/Oct) and plug it into the VCO 1&2 input, the Neutron's VCO scaling is way out, to the point of being unuseable with a CV based keyboard.

I'm going to try and rescale the VCOs with the internal trimmers for external CV control, but I suspect that I won't be able to use it via MIDI afterwards, unless there's also a trimmer somewhere for MIDI CV scaling :hmm: :despair:

I'm also going to do the sync mod, the default is dreadful.
Did you ever find a solution to this?

I'm trying to do the same thing, control the neutron via CV from my Hermod. When the neutron powers up, the V / Octave seems to be offset by some really low midi note, probably 0. So using one of the single 8,16 or 32 range settings results in the VCO operating between the 0hz - 40hz. However, if I send the Neutron a middle C via midi, then all subsequent notes played via CV are in the audible range.

So it seems that the issue is the V / Octave control is always adding the last midi note played (or 0 at startup) as an offset. It would be great if this could be disabled or set to some useful default value at startup...

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Did you use the app to check if there is a solution.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

Hyberus
Common Wiggler

Post by Hyberus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Have you been in contact with Behringer? If you get in touch and tell them about a problem they will try to replicate it, and find a solution; which would usually be a firmware upgrade
Random is the new maRnod

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Here is my first go with the neutron. I enjoy it quite a bit, in some ways it reminds me of the sound of my MC-202. I can definitely see why people don't like the overdrive. It makes sense to allow for the distortion in this sort of circuit, but this particular distortion sounds like a guitar overdrive, and just doesn't work for a lot of what I want to do. I look forward to patching more with it, and using the BBD with other sounds:

New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

cwmod
1-Post Wiggler

Post by cwmod » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:27 am

Neutron is great!
I've made an extended patch sheet that also reflects the pre-patched connections, and shows the Neutron App settings:

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:41 am

Thank you!

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Wed May 08, 2019 6:59 am

I swapped the pot caps of OSC pitch and PWM to avoid fat-fingering the mix control. Works for me, but doesn´t work with the overlays I´ve seen so far. *sigh*. It´s a bigger problem for the larger knobs, so I wonder if the small caps are available as spare parts? If not, what would be the specifications I need to know in order to find some 3rd party caps?
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

corbobilly
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbobilly » Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 pm

Where can I find the 2.0.2. version for the firmware: on the Behringer site, I see only the 2.0. version ! :confused:

umberman
Learning to Wiggle

neutron sonic possibilities?

Post by umberman » Thu May 16, 2019 5:51 pm

hi! it is possible to obtain on behringer neutron some west coast sounds/timbres? for example ploncky-glitchy (buchla like) aleatorism?
and other crunchy or atonal noises? if yes, how to do this? thnx!

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Fri May 17, 2019 12:01 am

corbobilly wrote:Where can I find the 2.0.2. version for the firmware: on the Behringer site, I see only the 2.0. version ! :confused:
At the Behringer site, it lists 2.0 in the first two lines (win+mac), then 2.0.2 on the next two lines, so alphabetically, not newest first.

https://www.behringer.com/Categories/c/ ... /Downloads

PM me if that doesn´t work for you.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

corbobilly
Learning to Wiggle

Post by corbobilly » Fri May 17, 2019 3:19 am

Mr. Aloud wrote:
corbobilly wrote:Where can I find the 2.0.2. version for the firmware: on the Behringer site, I see only the 2.0. version ! :confused:
At the Behringer site, it lists 2.0 in the first two lines (win+mac), then 2.0.2 on the next two lines, so alphabetically, not newest first.

https://www.behringer.com/Categories/c/ ... /Downloads
Many thanks; I find it _ 8-)

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:37 am

I fixed Behringer's aesthetic/UI atrocity!
I customized one of Heinakroon's designs... it took 2 months for him to deliver and I didn't realize it is matte print only and cannot do pitch black, but it's not bad.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Panason wrote:I fixed Behringer's aesthetic/UI atrocity!
I customized one of Heinakroon's designs... it took 2 months for him to deliver and I didn't realize it is matte print only and cannot do pitch black, but it's not bad.
I like it, how long did it take to make the change? I'm assuming you had to remove all the knobs but not undo pots from panel.

Also, did you remove the protective plastic from the knob inlays? I'm curious if others had to do it too, it took awhile but it was worth it :oops:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:35 am

Thanks, yeah, I have a knob cap pulling tool that made the job a lot quicker and stress-free. You just remove the rack screws and the knob caps. The overlay is synthetic paper and just covers the front panel.

The racks screws go into nuts that slide along rails and are not fixed in place so you have to keep the Neutron horizontal while doing it. Next time I would fix the nuts in place with a drop of silicone gel. And maybe add a couple of drops on the panel here and there to make sure the overlay stays nice and flat.

I did remove the film from the knob caps to get the maximum shine... so vain!

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:53 pm

So, I am considering picking one of these up. I am hoping to mount it in my Synthroteck 84 hp, 6+1 case. What about access to the rear outputs, MIDI thru, USB etc? Who has done this, how have you solved these potential access problems?
Last edited by r05c03 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:12 am

you lose all the rear connections and with that the ability to change MIDI channels or use the app - some folk have made a rear panel breakout for Eurorack, should be easy enough to find them either for sale or the 3D print file via Google.

something like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3802733

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33 am

Cool thanks!. Yeah, I was thinking I could cut away the back panel from the stock synth case and mount it some how to my case, but this works too. One problem is my 6+1 case has the 1U rails in the center, which would mean PIA powercables etc right connecting right in the middle of the box. It might not be that big of deal depending on there the break out box is positioned, but still.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:48 am

I haven't pulled my Neutron apart, but on the Behringer Model D, the rear panel is a PCB, bolted to the metal skiff.

The PCB has one multi pin connector, and one two pin one.

It looks like it would be fairly simple to make a blank panel to mount that in a 1U space... maybe out of wood or plastic. Getting the holes centred properly is the tricky part.

Here's my Model D, with the rear panel on the left, in a temporary cardboard "case". It still has the cable attached for the main connector. I ought to extend the two wire one, which runs to a far right corner, but I'm not using whatever it does, at the moment.

The easiest place to mount that panel, for the main cable to reach, would be to the top left of the synth - just rotating the panel about 90 degrees from where it is in the skiff, and lifting it a couple of inches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Is that a mod wheel on the right? :woah:

AndyHornBlower
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AndyHornBlower » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Yep. It's my prototype analog mod wheel, for the left handed :)

It's made from a real Yamaha mod wheel, I bought on ebay... I forget which model of synth it was from originally.

The short version is, you put 5V across the track of the pot (the outside two pins or lugs), and take the signal from the wiper (centre pin or lug) to a 3.5mm mono socket. I probably had it plugged into the Cut Off input, in that picture.

The slightly longer version is you also put a resistor in series with the output, or between the 5V regulator and the pot, to guard against short circuits - you might want to go with a slightly higher voltage regulator if you put one in series with the track of the pot, if it matters to you.

In this case, I was getting 5V from a USB power brick, typically used to charge phones - that's the green block, in the picture.

1986Bowler
Common Wiggler

Post by 1986Bowler » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:42 am

I really like mine- sounds good. Distortion OK, but not overly exciting...

My only beef at this point is the fact that it is slightly longer than the Model D, which means I can't laser a nice stand to tier them together.

I wonder if the Pro-One is the same length....

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:57 am

Will someone in the UK be up for doing the hard oscillator sync mod?

kr236rk
Learning to Wiggle

Neutron Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Post by kr236rk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:47 am

Have this :wink:

How do you sustain results though? Get some really interesting effects but they tend to fade & then come back, with some quite long blank intervals inbetween, like waves of sound with troughs of silence.

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Neutron Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer

Post by r05c03 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:56 am

kr236rk wrote:Have this :wink:

How do you sustain results though? Get some really interesting effects but they tend to fade & then come back, with some quite long blank intervals inbetween, like waves of sound with troughs of silence.

Wut?

Return to “General Gear”