Elektron Digitone

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:48 pm

KaOsphere wrote:Just received mine !

Made a little generative test...Love the sound !

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/393476748" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

:nod:
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

Hezza11
Common Wiggler

Post by Hezza11 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:50 pm

Definitely on my purchase list when stock and funds allow.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:14 pm

jshell wrote:I ordered from Elektron and got in that first batch and got it yesterday. But it was known that they had a limited batch for direct order and the rest of the units they had were going out to retailers - but extrapolating 'first initial batch' from when retailers will have them? Who knows. I know my local synth shop owner was surprised I had it so fast.

OS 1.01 is out, btw: https://www.elektron.se/support/?connec ... #resources

And here's my rough initial 'digitone noisy soundscapes + single PO-35 pattern' jam. I'm still burnt out from recent album work and can't seem to come up with anything melodic so on the Digitone and Modor, I seem drawn to just these big FM soundscapes right now. Just two tracks of Digitone, and PO-35 sync'd to Digitone and having some reverb, chorus, and delay from DN.

https://soundcloud.com/sunhil/initial-d ... dscape-jam

(Crud, soundcloud embedding seems broken for me again)
Nice! The sounds occasionally evolve into something reminiscent of some of the Marble Madness music. (which is among my favorite FM game soundtracks) I can tell I will have a lot of fun with this thing.

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:27 pm

[video][/video]

nomadjames
Common Wiggler

Post by nomadjames » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:25 pm

jshell wrote:And here's my rough initial 'digitone noisy soundscapes + single PO-35 pattern' jam. I'm still burnt out from recent album work and can't seem to come up with anything melodic so on the Digitone and Modor, I seem drawn to just these big FM soundscapes right now. Just two tracks of Digitone, and PO-35 sync'd to Digitone and having some reverb, chorus, and delay from DN.

https://soundcloud.com/sunhil/initial-d ... dscape-jam

(Crud, soundcloud embedding seems broken for me again)
Dude...that’s sick. Sounds so good!!
"I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination." -- Hunter S. Thompson

https://soundcloud.com/nomadjames
https://twitter.com/nomadjames
http://www.nomadjames.com

nomadjames
Common Wiggler

Post by nomadjames » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:31 pm

This thing is going to sell like hot cakes. There is a definite resurgence in interest in FM synthe for techno and DnB right now. I think these sounds would be great sample fodder for newer nuero kinds of sounds. With the relatively low price, I think this thing is gonna be a major hit for Elektron...perfect timing on it.
"I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination." -- Hunter S. Thompson

TS
Common Wiggler

Post by TS » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:21 am

It is definitely cool to see something new that is FM come out. I have been kicking around the idea of picking up a TG77. I wonder which I would enjoy more...

nomadjames
Common Wiggler

Post by nomadjames » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:28 pm

Me too, and the price has been steadily rising on the Yamaha stuff...I think lots of techno guys are trying to get their hands on the stuff.

Hezza11
Common Wiggler

Post by Hezza11 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:26 am

So Thomann.de have these in stock for anyone in Europe.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/elektron_digi ... e_431568_0

Just placed my order and had confirmation from their customer services that it was definitely in stock and its being packaged to ship out today, and not a pre-order.
Last edited by Hezza11 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:59 am

All the demos of this thing sound fantastic, but with only 4 tracks and 8 voices, I can't justify the price tag. If this were $499-$599 I'd be all over it. Guess I'll wait for the used market to open up.

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:57 am

dubonaire wrote:Can someone tell Elektron it's Didgitone, not Dig-etone. Ugh!
If Digitakt is somehow Swedish, takt meaning beat etc. and you use the Swedish pronounciation of 'digital' (dig-e-tahl), then it's dig-etone. Tone however is not Swedish, so it becomes a mash-up of languages with the Digitone.

I also just ordered from Thomann :party:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:57 pm

I see there is no shortage of people willing to pay to beta-test for Elektron.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Panason wrote:I see there is no shortage of people willing to pay to beta-test for Elektron.
Hey welcome to Gearslutz! Thanks for chiming in with the invaluable feedback. You’ll do great here.

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Panason wrote:I see there is no shortage of people willing to pay to beta-test for Elektron.
Hey welcome to Gearslutz! Thanks for chiming in with the invaluable feedback. You’ll do great here.
He is right though. that Digitone is one glitchy mother, OS is still in beta. Lots having problems already with it, until Elektron sorts out the OS.

Elektron fanboy's buy all their gear before it's even properly working. elektron seem to concentrate getting new gear out as quick as possible, before fixing the OS's of previous products. They are guilty of this!

jshell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jshell » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:02 pm

slicetwo wrote:All the demos of this thing sound fantastic, but with only 4 tracks and 8 voices, I can't justify the price tag. If this were $499-$599 I'd be all over it. Guess I'll wait for the used market to open up.
How much did you pay for your 4 track (well, kindof 6) track 4 voice Analog 4? :P

Admittedly I got lucky and got the A4 mk1 new for not much more than the Digitone and sound engine aside, I'm noticing the gulf between the two products. Digitone is still nice but even this lower "digi-*" product price feels a bit of a premium for what this thing actually does right now.

And this is the first Elektron I've ever paid full price for. Still think it was worth it, but with the slump I'm in, I should have waited. I'm struggling to make any synth I have now sound good to my ears/brain.

I like the size of the thing, and when I first got it it made think "man, I really should get a Digitakt! (even though I have Machinedrum and Octatrack)". But after a little more play, I'm realizing the big Elektrons have spoiled me.

The things missing from Digitone and Digitakt are often things I use lightly (song mode, parameter slides, etc), or occasionally (effect sequencing, although I understand you can hack around this with midi loopback), but I do feel their absence. But I also know if they had made this thing in an Analog 4 style body and price point, I wouldn't have been able to afford it. And I think it'll still be a lot more fun than some of the other FM options I was looking at.

But yeah, probably worth waiting for the price to come down some. And probably worth just keeping an eye on Elektron to see if they get their shit back together. I've been quite a hardcore fan of the company since getting my Machinedrum just a couple of years ago, but the changes they've gone through over the past 18 months is starting to worry even me.

They ought never have killed the silver boxes.

And I ought go back to my old policy of buying synths at the very end of their production run. Worked well for Evolver, Machinedrum, and Monomachine.
Jeff Shell for Eucci and AODL
Finest harsh noise and electroacoustics since 1994

http://euc.cx/ | https://sunhill.bandcamp.com/

FS - Pittsburgh Modular Generator+Expander

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote: Elektron fanboy's buy all their gear before it's even properly working.
I´m the contrary of a elektron fanboy, you can bet.
my antipathy against that company grows permanently

nevertheless had i to preorder the DN :lol:
......this, after i got a DT also based on preorder and been screwed again by this shitty people.

but show me somebody an alternative ?
just alone for the sequenzing part ?
( cirklon ? .......lol, forget it)
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
He is right though. that Digitone is one glitchy mother, OS is still in beta. Lots having problems already with it, until Elektron sorts out the OS.

Elektron fanboy's buy all their gear before it's even properly working. elektron seem to concentrate getting new gear out as quick as possible, before fixing the OS's of previous products. They are guilty of this!
It's just a very immature and naive way of looking at things, in addition to providing no contribution to the thread whatsoever other than stirring shit.

If you're an early adopter, you should go in expecting there to be flaws. There's a difference between an immature OS and true beta testing. Clearly Elektron have chosen to release their products on the early side and allow end users to provide feedback and mature the product line. It's a different model than some others have employed. But in my experience, if you buy a newly released product you should expect that there will be some issues that need to be ironed out. Also this notion that Elektron can only do one thing at a time, provide bug fixes or develop new products, is absolutely laughable. The people who complain the most are the ones that can't be pleased. Either they get an early OS updated that doesn't solve their problems and then they bitch about it, or they have to wait for a more complete update that solves more problems and they still bitch about it. Elektron, nor ANY other manufacturer, doesn't owe you anything. They provide a product which you can choose to buy or not to buy. These threads often get derailed by people who want to talk trash, or say how one thing is better than the topic of discussion (another statement that annoys me, because they are often completely subjective moronic statements that are never followed with any remotely coherent explanation of why one believes this is the case). Anyways, now I'm veering off topic. But if you preordered this product, or really any product IMO, and expected it to be flawless out the gates, you're pretty naive to say the least.

Nilesong
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nilesong » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:57 am

Sold out at Thomann.DE now. More due end of March. :doh:

They might have sorted the bugs out by then...?

Hezza11
Common Wiggler

Post by Hezza11 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:06 am

New video by cuckoo. Only watched half but liking what I see, might not be my style of music but can see loads of potential for sound shaping.

[video][/video]

cavidim
Common Wiggler

Post by cavidim » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:13 am

what are your thoughts about using digitone as a sequencer for eurorack ?

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 am

Hezza11 wrote:New video by cuckoo. Only watched half but liking what I see, might not be my style of music but can see loads of potential for sound shaping.

[video][/video]
I usually like Cuckoo´s videos because he makes gear sounds alive and different, in a very musical way, but this one was kinda disappointed to me...I think FM is not his thing...he´s making it sounds just like a classic FM synth, instead of the more advanced machine it is...the NAMM demos was way better showing the true potential of the Digitone with stuff that was beyond the DX-style synthesis

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:29 am

Things to do ( in correct order ) :

- Buy/own the hardware for more than 7 minutes.
- Be vocal and have strong opinion about bugs and design flaws

The other way around is just wasting bytes of internet datas...

Ditching the users who do enjoy their product is optional but can be added anywhere for more argumented point of view...
Sig !

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:20 pm

jshell wrote:How much did you pay for your 4 track (well, kindof 6) track 4 voice Analog 4? :P
I hear you, but that's not a fair comparison. Digital vs. Analog. There's no reason, in this day and age of technology, that a digital synth should have such low polyphony.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:11 pm

cavidim wrote:what are your thoughts about using digitone as a sequencer for eurorack ?
Using my Digitakt with my eurorack. Bought a Digitone partly to supplement the sequencing. Using two Shuttle Controls. It’s pretty amazing.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 pm

slicetwo wrote:
jshell wrote:How much did you pay for your 4 track (well, kindof 6) track 4 voice Analog 4? :P
I hear you, but that's not a fair comparison. Digital vs. Analog. There's no reason, in this day and age of technology, that a digital synth should have such low polyphony.
Actually I think someone else addressed the voice count thing with a pretty coherent hypothesis a few pages back. I don’t know if it’s true. But it seemed like a logical explanation. I’m not an engineer of any sort or programmer and can’t claim to know anything about what is and is not possible in the given hardware. I do find that the Elektron workflow and UI is very pleasing to me.

Return to “General Gear”