Prophet rev2 or OB6?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:20 pm

Just gave it a whirl, and yeah, the P6 responds pretty quickly to program changes... Even up to BPM in the 260s it seems to keep up, though it was a little difficult to really hear what was happening. Video to follow I hope.

Edit: And here's a shitty short video:

IG link

Second EDIT: Fixed it, i'm an idiot
Last edited by Sinamsis on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobule
Common Wiggler

Post by bobule » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am

Hi!

I am one of the factory patch designers for both the OB-6 and the Rev2.
My thoughts are;

OB-6 is 100% sweet spot, grab and forget, really hands on organic and just seems to always fit with whatever I am doing.

Rev2 is amazingly flexible, dual layers = two 8 voice synths or one super complex voice. so much modulation, great improvement on the P08 sound but is very close to that heritage. modulating the fx is ace and opens up a whole world of other possibilities (hipass filter and ring mod are ace).

I bought an OB-6 as soon as they were out and when I had the rev2 for sound design I had them on the same stand and had a good week of playing them both together.
They have a very different tone but are complimentary. The OB-6 is magic for me but I am intending to buy a Rev2 at some point as I found using it as two 8 voice synths gave me a lot of option before committing.

Nonsensical recordings of both are on my soundcloud;

https://soundcloud.com/twoquietsuns/rev2-vs-ob-6

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:10 pm

I really truly appreciate all these quality responses.

I think I've settled on the OB-6. The OB-6 just grabs me like no synth has done before... its sound just really resonates with me.

I'll be sure to follow up after I've spend some quality time with the OB-6.

:party:

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Sinamsis wrote:Just gave it a whirl, and yeah, the P6 responds pretty quickly to program changes... Even up to BPM in the 260s it seems to keep up, though it was a little difficult to really hear what was happening. Video to follow I hope.

IG link
The link didn't work for me

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:45 pm

bobule wrote:Hi!

I am one of the factory patch designers for both the OB-6 and the Rev2.
My thoughts are;

OB-6 is 100% sweet spot, grab and forget, really hands on organic and just seems to always fit with whatever I am doing.

Rev2 is amazingly flexible, dual layers = two 8 voice synths or one super complex voice. so much modulation, great improvement on the P08 sound but is very close to that heritage. modulating the fx is ace and opens up a whole world of other possibilities (hipass filter and ring mod are ace).

I bought an OB-6 as soon as they were out and when I had the rev2 for sound design I had them on the same stand and had a good week of playing them both together.
They have a very different tone but are complimentary. The OB-6 is magic for me but I am intending to buy a Rev2 at some point as I found using it as two 8 voice synths gave me a lot of option before committing.

Nonsensical recordings of both are on my soundcloud;

https://soundcloud.com/twoquietsuns/rev2-vs-ob-6
great insights, and thanks for contributing!! and the sound sample!

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:12 pm

orangehexagon
Weird. Worked on my laptop but not my phone.

Edited because I posted the wrong link. What a day!

Muse FTW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Muse FTW » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:17 am

orangehexagon wrote:I really truly appreciate all these quality responses.

I think I've settled on the OB-6. The OB-6 just grabs me like no synth has done before... its sound just really resonates with me.

I'll be sure to follow up after I've spend some quality time with the OB-6.

Nice! :banana:

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:57 pm

Sinamsis wrote:Just gave it a whirl, and yeah, the P6 responds pretty quickly to program changes... Even up to BPM in the 260s it seems to keep up, though it was a little difficult to really hear what was happening. Video to follow I hope.

IG link

Second EDIT: Fixed it, i'm an idiot
woah! thanks for sharing that

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:20 am

i'm reporting back to say that i'm extremely happy with the ob-6. it was ultimately the right decision.

while it doesn't have the extra modulation, i'm realizing i don't need it and it's getting me into actually PLAYING the synth. i'm more focused on my composition and the expression. paired with my analog four, i feel like i'm really set with my current minimal setup to make the music i want to make.

there's something really beautiful about this synth. it can sound very "acoustic," which is kinda funny because on paper it's not much different than any other subtraction analog synth. also, that variable filter really gets me excited.

for those that own this synth and have a source of a trigger sequencer (in my case the analog four), i highly recommend playing with entering a sequencer on the ob-6 and sending triggers to the sequencer input jack. it can get pretty weird, but also pretty controlled, musical, and ultimately really fun varying the playback of entered notes and chords. it works exactly as i had hoped.

i've also got an expression pedal on the way to open up play-ability a bit more. super stoked to have sequences running while also playing.

i get what people have said about voices and stacked sounds, but for me right now i'm not really interested in stacking sounds. the playability and sounds this synth can make i imagine will keep me satisfied for a long time.

cheers and much love for the input everyone has offered.

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 am

also if anyone has a license to the soundtower editor that they don't use or don't like and want to sell and transfer the license... i might be interested. it'd be nice to back up sequences and patches as i go, since i can get kinda librarian about my compositions.

InnnerSight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by InnnerSight » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:06 am

orangehexagon wrote: for those that own this synth and have a source of a trigger sequencer (in my case the analog four), i highly recommend playing with entering a sequencer on the ob-6 and sending triggers to the sequencer input jack. it can get pretty weird, but also pretty controlled, musical, and ultimately really fun varying the playback of entered notes and chords. it works exactly as i had hoped.
I would be interested in hearing an audio example of this - if you have one.

fwheel
Common Wiggler

Post by fwheel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:53 am

InnnerSight wrote:
orangehexagon wrote: for those that own this synth and have a source of a trigger sequencer (in my case the analog four), i highly recommend playing with entering a sequencer on the ob-6 and sending triggers to the sequencer input jack. it can get pretty weird, but also pretty controlled, musical, and ultimately really fun varying the playback of entered notes and chords. it works exactly as i had hoped.
Me as well! I bought OB-6 last month and so far considered the sequencer to be a useless extra on an otherwise brilliant synth but this sounds really interesting...

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:44 pm

InnnerSight wrote:
i'm not sure how an audio example would really illustrate this. it would just sound like varied sequences with rests. i suggest trying it out :party:

InnnerSight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by InnnerSight » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:18 pm

orangehexagon wrote:
InnnerSight wrote:
i'm not sure how an audio example would really illustrate this. it would just sound like varied sequences with rests. i suggest trying it out :party:
I was interested in the weirdness you managed to obtain - If I had an OB6 handy I would try it but unfortunately...

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:24 pm

InnnerSight wrote:
orangehexagon wrote:
InnnerSight wrote:
I was interested in the weirdness you managed to obtain - If I had an OB6 handy I would try it but unfortunately...
gotcha. i'll be sure to record some stuff next time i sit down with it

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:53 pm

orangehexagon wrote:there's something really beautiful about this synth. it can sound very "acoustic," which is kinda funny because on paper it's not much different than any other subtraction analog synth. also, that variable filter really gets me excited.
There's definitely more of a fuzzy mid-range presence on the OB-6 compared to the P-6 (this is sort of the hallmark of the older OBs)--sure that lends itself to a more acoustic sound.

InnnerSight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by InnnerSight » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:56 pm

orangehexagon wrote:gotcha. i'll be sure to record some stuff next time i sit down with it
Great stuff, I look forward to hearing what you coax out of this wonderful sounding synth. :guinness:

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 pm

I love my Rev2, but the more I hear the OB-6, the more I want one.

Does anyone here use a controller with polyphonic aftertouch? I'm starting to think about one after my failed Polyevolver Rack attempt.

If poly aftertouch is really a huge difference, I would maybe get a desktop OB-6 and some old Ensoniq keyboard with polyAT to control it since the DSI OB-6 bed is channelAT, but I believe the OB-6 supports polyAT.

:hmm:

I love how vocal the OB can sound.
:tu:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:18 pm

dkcg wrote:I love my Rev2, but the more I hear the OB-6, the more I want one.

Does anyone here use a controller with polyphonic aftertouch? I'm starting to think about one after my failed Polyevolver Rack attempt.

If poly aftertouch is really a huge difference, I would maybe get a desktop OB-6 and some old Ensoniq keyboard with polyAT to control it since the DSI OB-6 bed is channelAT, but I believe the OB-6 supports polyAT.

:hmm:

I love how vocal the OB can sound.
:tu:
I'm going to steal your identity and disable all your credit cards haha.

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:43 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
:oops: :lol:

That OB-6 does sound really cool and unlike anything I own...daamn yoos Tom!
At least my Oberheim 2-voice gas is pretty much completely gone now.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:50 pm

dkcg wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
:oops: :lol:

That OB-6 does sound really cool and unlike anything I own...daamn yoos Tom!
At least my Oberheim 2-voice gas is pretty much completely gone now.
It's funny I went through the same process.... I really wanted a Two Voice Pro. Thought about an OB-6. Ended up with an Andromeda and decided that was good enough and some haha. Also Pro 2 has the OB flavored filter and P6 filter I think. But I would tell you take some time with what you have and really explore it. It will give you time to get to know what you have and decide if you need more.

Also, if I'm the voice of reason, you're really f'd.

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 pm

yup, the Pro2 has some of that sound in my head that I hear in the OB-6 demos. So i'm not running out to get an OB-6 any time soon. I'm still finding my way around the Pro2 and haven't really gone beyond the surface of the Tempest and Rev2.

But a poly Pro2 would be amazing and probably be the only poly synth I need. The modulation assignment is amazingly deep. It's not perfection (i wish the sequencer could play backwards, random, etc.).

I'm in the process of moving, but once I finish moving, I can't wait to see if the Pro2 plays well with the Buchla and it's CVs. Would be cool using the Buchla oscillators as external audio inputs, and the CVs and gates... :D

Due to my move, everything except the DSI gear is packed way or already moved. I'm a newbie DSI synth studio user right now...making cheesy trance/dance music, trying to remember where that one sound was and which synth it was in, going through presets only to forget where they were. But it's kinda cool being around gear that I know little about, but want to know everything about. Synthing feels fresh again. :tu:

But I still think I want a pair of OB-6 modules polychained with a polyAT controller. What I get will be a different story. I'll probably get nothing, and I'll still like it. :love:

Two weeks until I pick up the 3rd Evolver for a 4 voice polyMEK. :cloud:

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:29 pm

Rev2 way off in the back for now. OB-6 module, controlled by the Pro2 for now.

It...sounds...like.... :mygod:

Muse FTW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Muse FTW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:15 am

dkcg wrote:Image

Rev2 way off in the back for now. OB-6 module, controlled by the Pro2 for now.

It...sounds...like.... :mygod:
That's righteous. How do you like this combo?

Sound clips are demanded. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Ambientdreaming wrote: I did not but it would be an amazing powerhouse for the OB6 Desktop, unless you're into playing the keys as well. I think it helps make up for some features the OB6 is missing like the powerful Elektron sequencer, more effects, LFOs and those trig conditions.
I was under the impression that trig conditions are not available for MIDI sequencing on the OT or any Elektron machine?

Return to “General Gear”