Arp Sequencer ?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Arp Sequencer ?

Post by resetlfo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Is there something it does like no others can ? I was always wondering
For example does it have anything over a cirklon , functionality wise and in creativity sense ?
Th x

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:49 pm

I don't have any real familiarity with the Cirklon, but...

One major thing I like about the ARP sequencer that I haven't seen in others is
that the clock speed can be modulated by a CV. In particular, you can route one of the gate busses to the clock speed, and with a little tweaking it is very easy to get sequences that aren't simple bang-bang-bang, but have quarter notes *and* eighth notes, or triplets, or whatever kind of rhythm you like.

There are means to combine the outputs with other incoming CVs as well, not sure how that would work with other sequencers (My main experience is with Klee and baby-10 sequencers in addition to the ARP)

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:48 pm

One thing about the ARP is that it's so simple, you basically have to play it like an instrument to get interesting stuff out of it (other than 8x2/16x1 loops).

Their Gate Bus design is an amazingly clever way to wring a lot out of a limited featureset. I used to rail on every hw step sequencer maker that either didn't do that at all or didn't actually understand it well enough to implement correctly.

The ability to have a 2x4 set of sequences and then with a flip of a switch expand that to 6 or 8 steps or to use the cv out to drive the clock was great.

This is one of the first sequencers that makes racheting an absolute doddle to implement and to change dynamically. Download the owner's manual some time and really study what it can do.

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resetlfo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 pm

oldgearguy wrote: The ability to have a 2x4 set of sequences and then with a flip of a switch expand that to 6 or 8 steps or to use the cv out to drive the clock was great
So actually this means that you can create odd rhythmic patterns which dramatically can be altered by just moving sliders or switches ?

Scot Solida
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scot Solida » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Nothing too esoteric here, but good fun, nonetheless! :party:

[video][/video]

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 pm

resetlfo wrote:
oldgearguy wrote: The ability to have a 2x4 set of sequences and then with a flip of a switch expand that to 6 or 8 steps or to use the cv out to drive the clock was great
So actually this means that you can create odd rhythmic patterns which dramatically can be altered by just moving sliders or switches ?
Yes. One of the gate busses can be routed to reset.

You can also set it up so that it goes as a one-shot. Trigger the sequencer, it goes through one time and then stops.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:56 am

resetlfo wrote:
Yes, but only for both halves simultaneously when you're running the sequencer in 8/2 mode -- my first disappointment when I got my first ARP Sequencer in 1994: I thought I could use the two sections independently for polyrhythms and such... I soon learned I needed another ARP Sequencer to keep me happy.

A very useful tool, which I still use a lot. I wish there was some kind of modern replacement for it which does all the tricks the ARP can do but ironed out the little design gaps (like multiple clocks, multiple counters, true parallel operation etc.).

Stephen

minime123
buy/sell/trade

Post by minime123 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 am

oldgearguy is right - its an instrument and feels like it. the doepfer a155 analog sequencer is similar in function (with the switches for gate bus) but the whole layout of the arp is much better, with slide pots to enable you to easily visualize the sequence, etc etc. plus, it looks great. :)
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade / Repair
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 am

[video][/video]

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:11 pm

I've always had a special place in my heart for the ARP sequencer. I especially like it's immediacy and ease of use. Many years ago I was sat down at a 2600 and an ARP sequencer, and just had a blast with it, and the owner was blown away with what I was able to do with absolutely no prior experience with either instrument.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:32 pm

Alan Wilder on Depeche's "Waiting For The Night""
Flood and I had been listening to Tangerine Dream and decided to try and create a similar atmosphere for this track. The main sequence was put together using his ARP and the sequencer that accompanies the synth. Due to its many velocity and filtering possibilities, this unit has a unique quality which is difficult to replicate using a modern-day sequencer triggered by MIDI. Once it has been set-up, in order for the sequence to be transposed to follow the chord structure of the song, I needed to play in each chord change from an external keyboard. A similar principal was applied to achieve the bubbling bass part which, together with the main sequence, forms the backbone of the track. The charm of the ARP sequencer stems from the slight tuning and timing variations that occur each time the part is played. This gives a sense of fluidity and continual change which seems to suit the song.

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resetlfo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:00 pm

regarding the quantised outputs;

does it mean whatever craziness you do on sliders, they will always fire nearest quantised note ?

Scot Solida
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scot Solida » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:05 pm

resetlfo wrote:regarding the quantised outputs;

does it mean whatever craziness you do on sliders, they will always fire nearest quantised note ?
Yep. :tu:

Lackan110f
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lackan110f » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:24 pm

elmegil wrote:One major thing I like about the ARP sequencer that I haven't seen in others is that the clock speed can be modulated by a CV.
This makes it possible to run it in ridiculous speed. Listen to the beginning of "Spacelab" with Kraftwerk:

I always thought this was done by enhancing tape speed until I tested a 1601 for the first time. That intro can be re-made with a 1601 straight out of the box with some delay added.

Marvelous machine. I have mine controlling 5-6 synths and I have a gate on/off box so that I can activate or deactivate different synths.
Last edited by Lackan110f on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:03 pm

Lackan110f wrote:
elmegil wrote:One major thing I like about the ARP sequencer that I haven't seen in others is that the clock speed can be modulated by a CV.
This makes it possible to run it in ridiculous speed. Listen to the beginning of "Spacelab" with Kraftwerk:

I always thought this was done by enhancing tape speed until I tested a 1601 for the first time. That intro is 1601 straight out of the box with some delay added. [...]
Are you sure?

Kraftwerk used the Sennheiser VSM-201 Vocoder at that time, and it can sweep through its filter bands and produce a similar effect:

From 08:44 onwards.

Stephen

Lackan110f
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lackan110f » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:02 am

doombient.music wrote:Are you sure?
No, not at all! :)

I am no expert in what KW used, I only made the connection since the 1601 arrived in 1975-76 and so did "Man Machine".

But it is very easy to create that very same effect on a 1601 at least.

minime123
buy/sell/trade

Post by minime123 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:50 am

resetlfo wrote:regarding the quantised outputs;

no. only if you use the quantized outputs, which have a much smaller voltage range than the unquantized outputs.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

minime123
buy/sell/trade

Post by minime123 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 am

Lackan110f wrote:
doombient.music wrote:Are you sure?
No, not at all! :)

I am no expert in what KW used, I only made the connection since the 1601 arrived in 1975-76 and so did "Man Machine".

But it is very easy to create that very same effect on a 1601 at least.
this is how synth nerd rumors start, you know.
after several decades, michael boddicker recently revealed that the famous synth sound on van halen's song Jump was actually two prophet-5's and not an oberheim, as many previously thought. :lol:
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER

Lackan110f
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lackan110f » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:51 am

minime123 wrote:this is how synth nerd rumors start, you know.
OK :) just to be really clear:

KW most probably used their "Synthanorma" 16-step custom-built analogue sequencer built by Matten & Wiechers for the Spacelab-intro.

http://www.elektropolis.de/ssb_synthanorma2.htm

But you can create the exact same effect with the 1601.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:23 am

Scot Solida wrote:Nothing too esoteric here, but good fun, nonetheless! :party:

[video][/video]
Wonderful. Old and new covered at once.

1601 is on my wish list.

The Oddy sounds as good as anything out there. Wonderful patches. :sb:
FS: Pedals, Mangler, Tascam 238 and DR-03
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=244651

Scot Solida
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scot Solida » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:04 am

MindMachine wrote: Wonderful. Old and new covered at once.

1601 is on my wish list.

The Oddy sounds as good as anything out there. Wonderful patches. :sb:
Thanks. This is the second 1601 I've had (and the fourth Oddy! there's another open on my bench). It is loads of fun.

Return to “General Gear”