Guess what's coming from Behringer...

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:17 am

>Legendary analog synthesizer with xxx design allows for insanely fat music creation

correct in all cases, whatever fat means! there is no denying that vintage synth prices are overinflated, dito eurorack. the main effect this has is that audionerds get to make an income out of a hysterical feeding frenzy involving addicted other nerds. nothing wrong with that but it has nothing to do with quality OR music.

so i applaud ulli berhringer for putting a check to that, especially with a ridculously overpriced primal synth like the vcs3. all these classics are based on fairly simple circuitry and not magic and should be produced with todays technology. the ullimoog is proof of that ...

then please do that to eurorack. yes, nerdculture will take a loss but then we could build BIG systems without ruining our finances. we have been milked long enough ... it will happen anyways and better with a small agile company like behringer than a big corporation.

egothelivingplanet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by egothelivingplanet » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:27 am

Pase wrote:
Funky40 wrote:this is a cultivation of hate. looks unnice.
Yeah I know I was harsh, but I stand by my words.
Let me explain in another way with someone else’s words:

"First they came for Mackie, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a pub soundtech.

Then they came for Boss, and I did not speak out—
Because I was into boutique pedals by Z-vex.

Then they came for Peavey Valve amps, and I did not speak out—
Because I am not a shred guitarist.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

This kind of discussion has been going on for years in guitar circles, and probably longer in sound-tech circles. I've got to a point where I just try to vote with my wallet, and ignore the pantomime. The number one rule for me is: if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. A £3 t-shirt from Primani? A 50p pint of milk? A £20 guitar pedal? Someone is getting screwed.
Love the intertextuality of this.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

Muff wiggler needs more poetry :sb:

Seriously though, I think the only power we have in this world is what we choose to spend our money on, that is if we are fortunate enough to be able to make a choice at all.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:58 am

Pase wrote:A £3 t-shirt from Primani? A 50p pint of milk? A £20 guitar pedal? Someone is getting screwed.
Undoubtably, young children and their families in far off lands are getting paid virtually nothing, are abused, and have to live in terrible conditions.
But do people care? No. As long as we can have our cheap clothes, food and guitar oedals no one cares. Sadly that's the way it is, people are greedy and and as long as that's the case, there will always be room for those who milk the situation for all it's worth, and more.
There is no good or bad capitalism, capitalism is capitalism, by its very nature it relies on heads being stood on somewhere down the ladder.
What can be done about the Behringers of this world? Nothing, if it wasn't Uli it would be someone else, Nicholas Van Hoegstraten isn't a one-off, there are landlords just like him all over the planet. I know it's an extreme comparison, but desperation creates need, a need for a flat from a slum landlord, or a cheap synth from Behringer to fulfil a synth nerds cravings. These situations are very different but the business model is virtually the same.

roger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by roger » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:38 am

LoFi Junglist wrote:
roger wrote: Ironically, one of the "kings" of cloning old instruments in software, Arturia, are really successfull with new designs.
I wish nostalgia had kept Creamware afloat as well :waah:
Just recently read a comment that Sonic Core are coming up with a new "Scope" version for old and new dsp cards. Maybe there is some truth to it.

BTS
Common Wiggler

Post by BTS » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:53 am

It looks like the Wasp clone might be further along than the others. They just registered a trademark and this logo leaked:

I could see the eurorack stuff (Wasp, CAT, K-20) coming out relatively quickly while the 2600, VCX and drum machines stay prototyped. Mainly due to re-purposing the Model D housing that's supposed to be out early next year.

There's an interesting news page over at Matrixsynth
My site with links to my work: Box of Tapes Sound Recordings

Twitter @BTS0

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:38 pm

ym2612 wrote:Image
Behringer = Judy?

GGW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by GGW » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Not just fat, they are INSANELY FAT! Now I'm interested :animal:
The Synthi is the one that I'd be hoping for. Aren't those still made in some fashion? Is the name and form open to copy?

a9headbangingBABEWYN
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a9headbangingBABEWYN » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:34 am

Fabong wrote:
a9headbangingBABEWYN wrote:OUT OF ORDER!

Nobody is forcing you to buy the product if you dont care for it, why should people who want one be excluded from the possibility of owning one? Elitism needs to die for serious progress to be made. Imagine if motor vehicles forever remained the property of the rich alone, for fear that mass produced cars would extinguish the need for quality automobiles. Quite the opposite is true!

I would prefer not to point fingers, especially here, in a controlled format with physical memory. But....

Well, ive already bought a product. 3 clones of Boss pedals. The (behringer names then) SM200, BSY600 but most of all CC600. Picked up cheap in junk shops in japan on the fly.. What im trying to say is im not riding on some high horse condemning these products they might release. But....

When companies who are still operating speak-out maybe we should listen. When it comes to high end products which musicians usually spend many years with, (not something bought on the fly, high priced synths), well maybe we should think thrice.
When, clearly, there are makers who are trying to push envelopes in new directions, well maybe, we should pay attention.

I thought the book (pardon the heavy reference) "Beg, Steal and Borrow: Artists Against Originality" was very interesting. More of a development on the subject itself. That we can copy synth circuits but not mickey mouse??? Something at fault here!!!!

People who -think- that they are buying a synthi will still buy it. People who have saved their dough for years will still buy the -real- one. And yes. There is a distinction and there will always be. The distinction will most likely get more pronounced with time. In the future the technology it will become even more pronounced, a simple analyzer will tell the soundfiles/samples apart. Thereafter the fake will be more fake and the real more real. Some will judge harder then others but there will and always will be a distinction here.

All with the tone. The tone is the Key. And the tone will always be highly distinguishable between the real and fake
For clear-voyant terms i mean that the old circuits age and the new ones age. All in different flavour, like wine, for better or -worse-

BTS
Common Wiggler

Post by BTS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Back onto the Behringer leaks, they posted this image recently.

Two of the chips in the upper left have been identified as bucket brigade chips.

Could this be a WASP prototype or the MS-20 prototype?

Twitter @BTS0

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:34 pm

I'd bet more on any clone other than an MS-20 clone, given how cheap the MS-20 Mini is already.

BTS
Common Wiggler

Post by BTS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:57 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:I'd bet more on any clone other than an MS-20 clone, given how cheap the MS-20 Mini is already.
I dunno, I was leaning towards the MS-20 clone they teased due to the number of patch points in the pic. I was one of the three eurorack-sized clones that were in the tease they posted earlier.

Twitter @BTS0

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:54 pm

None of my synths make insanely fat music. I hope they make a module for insanely fat music.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:51 pm

So has anyone gotten one of these Model D clones yet? Or has it not hit the street? :despair:

loachhat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by loachhat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 pm

BTS wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:I'd bet more on any clone other than an MS-20 clone, given how cheap the MS-20 Mini is already.
I dunno, I was leaning towards the MS-20 clone they teased due to the number of patch points in the pic. I was one of the three eurorack-sized clones that were in the tease they posted earlier.
Mmmm weird take on a VCS3 matrix?
edit: I guess not nearly big enough :P

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:11 am

loachhat wrote: Mmmm weird take on a VCS3 matrix?
That's an interesting thought, actually. Would sticking in a one sided jack make the connection?

This seems like a pure 'hype photo' anyways, very tightly spaced no way to read, unless it is some kind of matrix
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

loachhat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by loachhat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:25 am

gentle_attack wrote:
loachhat wrote: Mmmm weird take on a VCS3 matrix?
That's an interesting thought, actually. Would sticking in a one sided jack make the connection?

This seems like a pure 'hype photo' anyways, very tightly spaced no way to read, unless it is some kind of matrix
Some insane sequencer? :hihi:
To be honest that could be a market they could pretty severely disrupt... a budget circlon killer with tons of CV outs.
Maybe not 64, but...

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Actually that's a really interesting idea.

If Behringer were to make a Cirklon killer, what would it be?

(I don't think that Behringer could kill the Cirklon, by the way. Cirklon's fans are paying top dollar for top notch craftsmanship, and they know it. I doubt more than 1% of them would even give a Behringer sequencer the time of day.)

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:21 pm

bitflip wrote:So has anyone gotten one of these Model D clones yet? Or has it not hit the street? :despair:
THE ANSWER IS A FAT, LOUD AND REVERBERATING NO.

:mad: :bang:
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:31 pm

loachhat wrote:
BTS wrote:
Mmmm weird take on a VCS3 matrix?
A better bet than the MS-20 clone.

Korg is not as notorious as Roland as a lawsuit-happy company, but I've no doubt their claws will come out if pushed enough, esp. on a product still in production.

BTS
Common Wiggler

Post by BTS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:52 pm

The PCB looks like it would be a eurorack size. The only clones that were supposed to be eurorack were the MS-20, the Wasp and the Octave CAT.

Like I said, given the number of patch points, the MS-20 clone seemed like the most logical choice.

Twitter @BTS0

debris
Common Wiggler

Post by debris » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:12 pm

strangegravity wrote:None of my synths make insanely fat music. I hope they make a module for insanely fat music.
what is this "fat musc" genre? never heard of it :hihi:

Knights Who Say Neve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:01 pm

debris wrote:
strangegravity wrote:None of my synths make insanely fat music. I hope they make a module for insanely fat music.
what is this "fat musc" genre? never heard of it :hihi:

Huba-Swift
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Huba-Swift » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:47 pm

The only reason I could see Behringer doing an MS20 clone for euro is if they decided to add add new jacks, ie. osc waveform output, pwm input, individual cv inputs and 1v/oct inputs for both oscillators, etc. as well as converting the S trigs to V trigs. How cool would that be to have a fully modularized MS20?

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:49 am

Huba-Swift wrote:The only reason I could see Behringer doing an MS20 clone for euro is if they decided to add add new jacks, ie. osc waveform output, pwm input, individual cv inputs and 1v/oct inputs for both oscillators, etc. as well as converting the S trigs to V trigs. How cool would that be to have a fully modularized MS20?
Could be possible. I'd still put more money on the Wasp or CAT - less chance of a Korg lawsuit.

BTS
Common Wiggler

Post by BTS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:03 pm

On a different note, it looks like their full size VP-330 clone is getting ready to debut:

Via Matrixsynth

Twitter @BTS0

Return to “General Gear”