Guess what's coming from Behringer...

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:27 pm

debris wrote:
strangegravity wrote:None of my synths make insanely fat music. I hope they make a module for insanely fat music.
what is this "fat musc" genre? never heard of it :hihi:
There is a certain phrase that appears repeatedly here

https://ask.audio/articles/behringer-te ... es-briefly

efexor
Common Wiggler

Post by efexor » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:09 am

BTS wrote:On a different note, it looks like their full size VP-330 clone is getting ready to debut:

Via Matrixsynth
Only 3 octaves,hmm, should be 4 at least.

roger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by roger » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:50 am

Taco Belly

Post by Taco Belly » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:17 am

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 am

Nice. I was worried that all of these clones would be packed into a tiny Eurorack panel like the Moog. Glad to see the latest reveals indicate otherwise.

needlz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by needlz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am

I'm all for this. The democratization amazing vintage gear.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:27 am

Yes please. Can't wait to hear it. If it is half as good as the praise of the original - I am in.

edit: viewtopic.php?t=196581
Last edited by MindMachine on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:30 am

roger wrote:Image

I'm down for one of these, it sounds amazing from what I've heard so far.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Wow, this thing looks really classy. :tu:

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:11 pm

yawn...does Behhringer only make knock offs? Magic eight ball says very likely.

I'd rather save up and buy something contemporary for 2018, not a budget re-hash of someone else's design.
I totally get why people will buy these. But not why they get so excited. It's like getting excited about buying a pair of JC Penny jeans instead of Levis.

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Seems OB-XA is on the way... UB-XA
thats the one i dont get at all. how did the behringer democratic synth selection process come up with this one? OBX yes but why obxa? why do we need to enable more synth nerds to play "jump van halen" sonically correct?
I'd rather save up and buy something contemporary for 2018
i thought exactly the same thing and tested almost all new analog polys. not one sounded even remotely as good as an obxa, especially the new DSI synths. the best one was the modor and thats a digital synth. so i kept my money and and am waiting for dr. behringer ...

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:50 am

calaveras wrote:yawn...does Behhringer only make knock offs? Magic eight ball says very likely.

I'd rather save up and buy something contemporary for 2018, not a budget re-hash of someone else's design.
I totally get why people will buy these. But not why they get so excited. It's like getting excited about buying a pair of JC Penny jeans instead of Levis.
I think like that all the time, but I'm not seeing or hearing anything groundbreaking in hardware, but do we really need that? As far as sound goes we have infinite possibilities in software now, and if we did hear a sound we hadn't heard before in 2018 no one would notice, it's just not important anymore. We are recycling the past with instruments, just like we are with music, it's just another twist of life, who knows where we will be in twenty years time, and what trends will be.

mfkzt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mfkzt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:50 am

calaveras wrote:yawn...does Behhringer only make knock offs? Magic eight ball says very likely.
DeepMind? Neutron? Be fair...

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 am

Yeah, and magic 8 ball also says if dear old "Uncle Bob" hadn't knocked off Hugh Le Caine's filter design then the "great national treasure legacy business" would never have got established......

minphase
Common Wiggler

Post by minphase » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:40 am

Muzone wrote:
Yeah, and magic 8 ball also says if dear old "Uncle Bob" hadn't knocked off Hugh Le Caine's filter design then the "great national treasure legacy business" would never have got established......
That’s simply not true. Designers like Bode and LeCaine had demonstrated voltage control before Bob Moog, and all three were part of a matrix of mutual knowledge, communication and respect. But the transistor ladder filter wss not LeCaine’s invention. To suggest a knock-off is just wrong. Read Gayle Young’s book (it’s great). LeCaine wrote an article for Moog’s Electronic Music Review magazine well after the 904 was released, not the sort of thing one does when one’s invention is stolen. There was a lot of mutual admiration between those two inventors. I spent a week’s holiday at the National Archives in Ottawa reading HLC’s notes.
WTB: Time. Talent. Sex appeal.

FS/FT: MC505,Boss RPVs (not RPGs), Simmons SDS-V FULL KIT

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:45 am

minphase wrote: I spent a week’s holiday at the National Archives in Ottawa reading HLC’s notes.
This is the most spectacularly nerd-y sentence I've read in a long time, love it! :mrgreen:
WTB / WTTF: Bugbrand PRC2B, DD3, PRC4, ENV1

Current Bugs frame:
https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/580413

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:08 am

Revisiting this old thread and thinking that this comment by Mousegarden deserves a bump! It's very true.

Also, there has been a development.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/behring ... vcs3-clone
mousegarden wrote:

I think like that all the time, but I'm not seeing or hearing anything groundbreaking in hardware, but do we really need that? As far as sound goes we have infinite possibilities in software now, and if we did hear a sound we hadn't heard before in 2018 no one would notice, it's just not important anymore. We are recycling the past with instruments, just like we are with music, it's just another twist of life, who knows where we will be in twenty years time, and what trends will be.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:14 am

Can't wait for the chinese clones of Mehringer clones. :hmm:

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Panason wrote:Can't wait for the chinese clones of Mehringer clones. :hmm:
I can't wait for the rural Chinese clones of the suburb Chinese clones of the Mehringer factory clones of the Behringer factory clones.

30 years from now all we'll still have in production are the same instruments we had in production 50 years ago from now.

Just think about it. No one can INNOVATE when it risks the business going under because all their synth business is stolen by cheaply manufactured clones of your own damn instruments that you don't want to make anymore because you're trying to progress. The only synth manufactures this doesn't hurt are ones like Yamaha that have tons of other reliable lines going.

The Roland Boutique series gets a lot of hate but they had to R&D that software and ACB tech, analog tech has been down for decades now, while the analog parts used that made them notoriously analog have become more precise and less nostalgia inducing, to the point we have to introduce slop and drift and etc. etc. to analog synths.

I feel that if you want synth companies to innovate you can't support the things that quite possibly, don't make them innovate! I'm sure there are more factors as to why the likes of Korg and Roland don't bow down to the demands of the consumer, but this comes off as an arguably big reason. It's not worth the risk. Behringer does the least risky things possible, absolutely 0 risk to them if they continue to learn how to properly avoid lawsuits. Every other synth manufacture has to fight fire with fire and also take minimal risk.

I always think of TRON when people hate on digital stuff. To me that was the future, ironically. I loved seeing the crazy lights, getting sucked into a digital system, etc. (I know Daft Punk used almost all analog gear on the soundtrack but still...). The future is bright for software if it's continuously developed without so much hate or risk.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:20 pm

Divinital wrote:
Just think about it. No one can INNOVATE when it risks the business going under because all their synth business is stolen by cheaply manufactured clones of your own damn instruments that you don't want to make anymore because you're trying to progress. The only synth manufactures this doesn't hurt are ones like Yamaha that have tons of other reliable lines going.
Disagree. Modular has all of the innovative stuff. Can people afford to build full fledged synths with cases and keys (which eberyone has a dozen times over already in the studio)!? Hell no! Why bother.

If you're telling me there's not innovative Eurorack being released every day, you're not paying attention. Who needs another stinky chinese keyboard attached to the part you want? I agree the money/ profitability is not there on a pre-rolled all in one fixed architecture synth, but doing "your thing" in the modular domain is 1000x better than something that conforms to what some penny counter at Roland "thinks" you should be synthesizing.

In that mindset, it TOTALLY makes sense to me why the most popular traditional fixed architecture synths are all reissues. If I want to roll my own, Eurorack is where it's at and will be. "Customs only, bro"
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:29 pm

gentle_attack wrote:
Divinital wrote:
Disagree. Modular has all of the innovative stuff. Can people afford to build full fledged synths with cases and keys (which eberyone has a dozen times over already in the studio)!? Hell no! Why bother.

If you're telling me there's not innovative Eurorack being released every day, you're not paying attention. Who needs another stinky chinese keyboard attached to the part you want? I agree the money/ profitability is not there on a pre-rolled all in one fixed architecture synth, but doing "your thing" in the modular domain is 1000x better than something that conforms to what some penny counter at Roland "thinks" you should be synthesizing.

In that mindset, it TOTALLY makes sense to me why the most popular traditional fixed architecture synths are all reissues. If I want to roll my own, Eurorack is where it's at and will be. "Customs only, bro"
You're definitely not wrong if you equate "innovation" with varied features on existing technology. (sorry if this is wrong as of today, I followed Eurorack heavily until around 2 months ago when I sold everything).

The most innovative thing I've seen in Eurorack recently is the math on the Polygogo oscillator. Otherwise lots of rehashed convoluted effort to get marginally interesting sounds.

I mean this : : is just insane for the result relative to the amount of effort and money that went into it. It sounds like something I'd expect from an average EDM producer using a DAW before they ever became successful. But, because it's modular people will rave about it.

I am in this for the sound quality and results, not the process of exploration, which is the most important thing Eurorack excels at.

This is coming from someone waiting on the Moog Matriarch and currently considering the Roland System-500 or DSI Pro 2 because I like patch points but not the convolution and time wasted on my finite lifespan to get something musical. I'm not a professional. If I ever make money from music I'd consider a nice Eurorack setup. Until then I don't have much of an interest or justification with the software available to mangle samples/my own synths in any way I please in this hobby I have limited time for.

I am unprepared for any war this starts relative to my opinion and this is basically where my argument ends :guinness: especially because I do like modular, just not everything I hear nor for me right now.

Hey... wasn't this about Behringer?? Got me fighting with the wrong people!!!!

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:11 pm

gentle_attack wrote:
Divinital wrote:

Polyphony is expensive in modular (ask me how I know). I have 'done my thing' in modular for several years now, and had a lot of fun with it, but it is just one genre of synthesis, not the whole story.

Besides, I have heard some mind numbingly banal music created by some of the most innovative and expensive modular kit. Let's see what music folk make with the affordable Behringer stuff. Perhaps that's the measure of its usefulness.

At the end of the day synths are tools. Sometimes you buy a tool on price, and sometimes you don't - it depends on your budget and how hard that tool is going to have to work for you.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:20 pm

Blairio wrote:Besides, I have heard some mind numbingly banal music created by some of the most innovative and expensive modular kit
This is a smart cat! I did not know they even knew how to type although I guess they did create this website.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:35 pm

The Beurorack will fix this. Then we can have banal analog farts at much lower prices. Bodular jams will be de rigueur on soshal medja.

People are the worse.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:22 pm

Panason wrote:The Beurorack will fix this. Then we can have banal analog farts at much lower prices. Bodular jams will be de rigueur on soshal medja.

People are the worse.
yup, Banalism. No reason to innovate or create Mr. B will do it for you.
[video][/video]

Return to “General Gear”