Guess what's coming from Behringer...

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:05 am

Panason wrote:People on GS are convinced that a BS-80 is coming. (Yes, a CS-80 clone). So that they can do their best Vangelis impersonations in their man cave.
Folks here too, it would seem. What Behringer clone ISN’T coming these days?

Plus a picture of the BS-80 is on the front page of Reddit synthesizers page lol, most upvotes of any post.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:39 am

I'd like to see an accurate copy of a Rickenbacker guitar.

Funch

Post by Funch » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:31 am

Divinital wrote:
Panason wrote:People on GS are convinced that a BS-80 is coming. (Yes, a CS-80 clone). So that they can do their best Vangelis impersonations in their man cave.

Plus a picture of the BS-80 is on the front page of Reddit synthesizers page lol, most upvotes of any post.
https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019 ... aha-cs-80/

"Behringer today announced that it’s cloning the Yamaha CS-80."

"We want to be absolutely clear that this a very complex synthesizer project and it is at a very early stage. It will take us a long time to complete, however we are committed to deliver."

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Well I’m just hanging out for the 2600, but there has been so many announcements , I’m not sure at this stage whether I just imagined that.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Kja
Common Wiggler

Post by Kja » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Funch wrote:
Divinital wrote:

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019 ... aha-cs-80/

"Behringer today announced that it’s cloning the Yamaha CS-80."

"We want to be absolutely clear that this a very complex synthesizer project and it is at a very early stage. It will take us a long time to complete, however we are committed to deliver."
I wish they would just wait five years and tell me when they are already half way done.. I don't care what they are committed to if it's gonna take ten years..lol.

tim gueguen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:42 pm

IR wrote:I'd like to see an accurate copy of a Rickenbacker guitar.
Rickenbacker's lawyers would be on the phone at the merest hint of Behringer making one. Rick is notorious for going after copy makers, which is why you don't see them unless they're old.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:33 pm

A few days ago, I watched an interesting documentary about Amazon's vision of business based on very low prices, even selling at loss, and taking ownership of other people's projects to be the only online store.

I couldn't help seeing similarities with Behringer's "mission".

I'm not sure he actually wants to release a "BS-80" but I'm pretty sure he wants to thwart the project of a real CS-80 reissue that Yamaha announced only a few days before Behringer's "BS-80".
Doing so, many sheep who could be interested in the CS-80 reissue will rather wait and hope for the "BS-80".

Behringer has a very aggressive attitude towards other manufacturers. His "mission" is actually to bankrupt competitor companies offering cheap ersatzs that he calls "tributes" (he seems to love irony), buying engineers, taking ownership of brands, ideas, designs..., attacking or suing detractors...
His goal is obviously to reach a monopoly position in a near future. And then, what's next ?

Here's the documentary, it's in French, I couldn't find it with English subtitles.

[video][/video]
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Someone already suggested on GS that all music gear should be made by Behringer but I think the thread was quickly destroyed.
I'm not sure he actually wants to release a "BS-80" but I'm pretty sure he wants to thwart the project of a real CS-80 reissue that Yamaha announced only a few days before Behringer's "BS-80".
Hopefully Yamaha will see through that but it beggars belief that the people who would honestly want a CS-80 remake would trust Behringer to deliver anything that gets even close in the next 5 years. Behringer are hard at work massaging the company's image on GS and I suppose they're targetting a lot of the crowd on that site who seem extremely gullible and flush with disposable income.
They may even be employing shills to post there as new 1-post accounts trying to generate hype keep popping up.

p_shoulder
Common Wiggler

Post by p_shoulder » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:18 pm

As I understand it, the CS-80 is more about the tonal control (the piano-weighted keyboard, velocity sensitivity and polyphonic aftertouch, ribbon). The synth architecture is a little bit different with a ring mod, dual layers, and dual filters per layer, but that's not completely unknown in synths these days, and (again from what I understand, never played one) not really what made the CS-80 special. Getting the performance / playability side right therefore will be *critical*. It's not something you can simply stuff a clone circuit into a Eurorack module.

Historically, Yamaha make some rather excellent digital pianos (though none with PolyAT). Behringer... well, they tried a couple of digital pianos about 10 years ago. The reviews seem decisively non-plussed.

Of course, that was then. So we'll see. It will be great to escape the glut of no poly-AT keyboards, as has been the case for a while, assuming one of these has such.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:41 am

tim gueguen wrote:
IR wrote:I'd like to see an accurate copy of a Rickenbacker guitar.
Rickenbacker's lawyers would be on the phone at the merest hint of Behringer making one. Rick is notorious for going after copy makers, which is why you don't see them unless they're old.
That's the point. I want to see Rickenbacker's and Behringer's lawyers duke it out.

Oh, and they do go after old Rick copies, individual sellers selling them.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:54 am

p_shoulder wrote:Getting the performance / playability side right therefore will be *critical*. It's not something you can simply stuff a clone circuit into a Eurorack module
applies to most eurorack clones of existent synths and (even more) part of them

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:20 am

[video][/video]

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Wow...now THAT was cryptic....

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:32 pm

W is for wanting and wanking.

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:54 pm

OMG...... is it finally the....... Behringer Wun?

I’ve been waiting WEEKS for one of them.

Seriously though, the only reason I haven’t tried Odyssey, Mini, 101 or MS “tributes” is I’ve kept the originals. Don’t care for OSCar for the same reason, but once Pro 1, 2600, CS80 or anything else I wanted but never got “appears”, I’ll be happy to try and buy (if the mojo is there).

Mr B has already delivered a lot of things people said he never would, this is a great time to love synths.
Where have I seen you before?
Same place you saw me, I expect.
I've got a good face for memories.

https://soundcloud.com/thispoison-1

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Post by Dave Kendall » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:02 pm

MicroWave (1989)
Want to Buy: KURZWEIL KSP8

"Everything in moderation, including moderation"

p_shoulder
Common Wiggler

Post by p_shoulder » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:12 pm

Yeah, Microwave (1989) is my guess. Or something based on that. Or, Behringer could be cloning the Roland W-30 (1989 as well), a vintage item that everyone's been clamoring for. :hihi:

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:28 pm

I know there are probably god knows how many posts here already about this but my vote. DS-80 hopefully at a affordable price (of about 200 quid at most in my case :/

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:08 pm

p_shoulder wrote:As I understand it, the CS-80 is more about the tonal control (the piano-weighted keyboard, velocity sensitivity and polyphonic aftertouch, ribbon). The synth architecture is a little bit different with a ring mod, dual layers, and dual filters per layer, but that's not completely unknown in synths these days, and (again from what I understand, never played one) not really what made the CS-80 special. Getting the performance / playability side right therefore will be *critical*.
so true.... it comes alive with the playing

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Given their W tease, half of me wonders if it stands for Workstation.

The Behringer answer to the M1? Or the Kronos? Of course, Casio has a reasonable handle on some of the lower price end of that deal as well, so it's not a completely clear field.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:02 am

papz wrote:A few days ago, I watched an interesting documentary about Amazon's vision of business based on very low prices, even selling at loss, and taking ownership of other people's projects to be the only online store.

I couldn't help seeing similarities with Behringer's "mission".
Interesting. Sounds more like what Synthcube has been doing.

Synth"cube", like the Borg collective. You will be assimilated.

As for B's "W", Maybe the Won as in, We won. :razz: But more seriously, thought it was gonna be a MIDI mixing patchfield until the recent tease.
After seeing that, Workstation or Wave seems more likely.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:10 am

Panason wrote:W is for wanting and wanking.
Or just Wankers

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:23 am

Roland system wonhundred m
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:29 am

Waste?
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:43 am

Instant buy for me if it turns out to be a Wave or Microwave 1 clone. I wouldn’t bother with a Wavestation. The VSTi covers that beautifully.

Return to “General Gear”