Motas-6 synth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Motas-6 synth

Post by Prunesquallor » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:50 am

Sounds incredible! Everybody who got one sounds like they've been through some religious conversion.

Curious there's no sine waves on the VCOs. Anyone missing those, at least for phase mod? How well do the filters track?
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:53 am

monads wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:00 am
Petajaja wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:16 am
.....Cool to hear you got your unit and that you're enjoying it, there is definitely a bit of an adjustment period as it is very different than anything else out there but I'm certain it'll quickly become second nature for you and when it does, you'll start to wonder how you ever dealt with so little mod sources on other gear!.....
It actually clicked in my little brain today!! I spent the first few hours reading the manual in-front of the synth. Took a few days off...rinse/cycle/repeat and then clicked! The manual does need improvements in areas. I love the modulation options, but I'm not gonna hide the fact I miss the immediate visualization of a mod matrix to display what I'm modulating. The Patch Summary/Overview does give some insights via LFO fluctuations, but difficult to see EG mods for example.

Sometimes I could see myself falling into the same traps you discovered like 'overdriving' the Mixer or Output sections! But it sounds soo good! I do wish we could save VM patches (references to stored sounds at least), and ability to Export archive/easy recall.

Motas-6 is definitely a unique/amazing instrument. Not for 1st time synthesis enthusiasts or your starter synth though.
Happy to hear! I think it quickly becomes more of an issue of what you can imagine to try with it over an issue of not knowing how to do things with the UI etc.. If there's any truth to the whole limitations breed creativity then we'd likely see the opposite here but for me personally, the ton of possibilities has been inspiring for me in a way that a simpler WYSIWYG synth

Yeah I too would like a mod matrix and have requested one but this would be more for the purpose of modulations modulating other modulations, I think the way Jon's currently visualizing modulations in a patch is probably the best that can be done (considering how many modulations there are!) I also think this too may be a thing you just get used to, most of my patches on it now are quite deliberate so I'll generally know what the modulation looks like in a section because of the role it fills in the patch.

I think it's a necessary thing with the Motas (at least it was for me) to focus in on a few features at a time rather than trying to make the most of everything straight away. There's just so much potential in the gain staging as you mentioned that there's no way you'd have got a full taste of what it has to offer from just 1 patch so it's great to spend a little while seeing how different settings on the gain effects the sound (Here's one I recommend, try overloading the mixer as much as possible by having all oscillators sync'd and then everything turned up to 100% including all the wave forms and then overdrive the mixer too)

The Motas probably isn't the best synth for the beginner but at the same time, my girlfriend who's very new to synths was able to pick it up very quickly after I briefly explained the approach to it and she even ended up getting some results out of it that I'd not thought to try. I think a beginner could do fine with this synth if they were fine being focused on learning rather than performing for a while.

Anyway, really cool to hear you're enjoying the Motas, I'm glad that I've not heard anyone be disappointed in it so far. If you ever record anything with the Motas, I'd be really interested in hearing it, like with the previously given example of my girlfriend finding things in it that I'd not considered, I'm sure there's tons of things other users are doing that I've not yet thought to try (this seems to be the ultimate limitation in the Motas - what you can think to try)
Check out my Motas-6 demos over at: https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector :love:

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:07 am

Prunesquallor wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:50 am
Sounds incredible! Everybody who got one sounds like they've been through some religious conversion.

Curious there's no sine waves on the VCOs. Anyone missing those, at least for phase mod? How well do the filters track?
haha.. It really is like a religious experience! It changed the way I think about music in quite a big way.

I've heard that the majority of sine waves on analog synths are actually just a filtered triangle due to sinewaves being quite complicated / expensive to implement.. with that in mind, the triangle waves generally work fine for anything I'd ever think to use a sine wave for (boosting the fundamental / drum sounds) The phase mod works VERY well with the triangle waves and actually, the saw waves get really good results too. I'm able to get saw-like - sq-like timbres in the same way that I would on a digital FM/PM synth so I don't personally think the lack of sine is an issue.

I've not messed around too much with using the filter as a sine wave and having it track the keyboard, I think this should work very well but I'd need to test a bit to say for sure, I'll get back to you on this. What's the standard here I wonder? most synths I own, the filters don't track perfectly in the same way that the oscillators do.
Check out my Motas-6 demos over at: https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector :love:

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:45 pm

Petajaja wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:07 am
Prunesquallor wrote:

haha.. It really is like a religious experience! It changed the way I think about music in quite a big way.

I've heard that the majority of sine waves on analog synths are actually just a filtered triangle due to sinewaves being quite complicated / expensive to implement.. with that in mind, the triangle waves generally work fine for anything I'd ever think to use a sine wave for (boosting the fundamental / drum sounds) The phase mod works VERY well with the triangle waves and actually, the saw waves get really good results too. I'm able to get saw-like - sq-like timbres in the same way that I would on a digital FM/PM synth so I don't personally think the lack of sine is an issue.

I've not messed around too much with using the filter as a sine wave and having it track the keyboard, I think this should work very well but I'd need to test a bit to say for sure, I'll get back to you on this. What's the standard here I wonder? most synths I own, the filters don't track perfectly in the same way that the oscillators do.
Thanks! It'd be good to know what the tracking's like.

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:33 am

Prunesquallor wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:45 pm
Petajaja wrote:
Prunesquallor wrote:

Hey, sorry for the late reply..

The filters track pitch very well imo although they drift etc.. more than the VCOs do and according to Jon don't give a perfect sine wave when self resonating which was by design (part of what gives the filters a lot of character. Filter 2 (the 303 inspired one) doesn't self oscillate well below 500hz so this wouldn't be the one to use for this kind of thing.

I had a play around with the self oscillating wave of the first filter and got some good patches out of it and also compared the tracking of it against a triangle wave from the Motas and found that I could get the sine wave to blend so well that I'd pretty much not even notice it.

With this self oscillating sine, there's quite a lot that can be done to it / with it to change its character or to take it in a completely different direct. for example, it's possible to create a feedback loop with the filter routing and I found that this caused the sine wave to drift less and such. I also had a really good time with some filter FM on that filter sine wave and then FMing the lfo that was modulating it with another audio rate one to get some 3 op sine FM patches.

I don't usually use sine patches much but it's actually quite interesting because of all the things you could do with it in the Motas, I for example can definitely see myself using this in parallel with the other filter, using an FM'd sine wave to give an interesting percussive element to classic subtractive patches.

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:29 am

Petajaja wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:33 am
Prunesquallor wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:45 pm
Petajaja wrote:
Prunesquallor wrote:

Hey, sorry for the late reply..

The filters track pitch very well imo although they drift etc.. more than the VCOs do and according to Jon don't give a perfect sine wave when self resonating which was by design (part of what gives the filters a lot of character. Filter 2 (the 303 inspired one) doesn't self oscillate well below 500hz so this wouldn't be the one to use for this kind of thing.

I had a play around with the self oscillating wave of the first filter and got some good patches out of it and also compared the tracking of it against a triangle wave from the Motas and found that I could get the sine wave to blend so well that I'd pretty much not even notice it.

With this self oscillating sine, there's quite a lot that can be done to it / with it to change its character or to take it in a completely different direct. for example, it's possible to create a feedback loop with the filter routing and I found that this caused the sine wave to drift less and such. I also had a really good time with some filter FM on that filter sine wave and then FMing the lfo that was modulating it with another audio rate one to get some 3 op sine FM patches.

I don't usually use sine patches much but it's actually quite interesting because of all the things you could do with it in the Motas, I for example can definitely see myself using this in parallel with the other filter, using an FM'd sine wave to give an interesting percussive element to classic subtractive patches.
Exactly! Sine waves are really useful. Thanks for this! I haven't made up my mind yet. TBH I already have a modular to dig into for complex sound design. I'm just wondering whether I want a mono with such a deep interface as well. The Pro-3 is beckoning because of its immediacy and because I'm a sucker for the Prophet sound. I'm aware that the core sound may not be as good, but there are other factors for me as well. Decisions...

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:51 am

I know which I'd pick but then I'm obviously biased haha :)

I'm not going to try too much to sway your decision as what's better is obviously such a personal thing like for me the keyboard on the pro-3 is a negative because of space but for others it's a must have. I will however just leave a few points that I think are worth taking into consideration when you're weighing up the two.

The Motas is actually very immediate, I own a bunch of gear including the minilogue which is WYSIWYG in terms of controls on the panel and I actually am faster at getting where I want to go with the Motas because the UI isn't actually far from knob per function in practise and it quickly becomes muscle memory due to how cleverly everything's laid out.

The Motas will probably be capable of doing things which your modular isn't due to the amount of modulations you have on the Motas, I know it seems like more than you could ever think to use but they're actually so valuable and can no longer imagine having a synth without this many modulation options.

The PM circuit is very special and there's a ton of great sounds to be had from it.

Having simultaneous access to 3 filters (rather than the 1 at a time on the pro-3) is very nice, having dual resonant filters is amazing for formanty sounds but there's also a ton of other applications where I'll use two filters simultaneously to shape sounds in ways that I've not been able to do on other synths I've owned.

Final one.. Jon's so active in supporting this synth and he's very good at what he does, the few bugs I've ever seen on the Motas were very short lived (usually only a few days) as he takes them very seriously. There's also new and very useful features being added on a regular basis to a degree that I've not seen anywhere else but with the Motas.

Obviously I can't tell you what'll be better for you but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, sometimes it can be really difficult to get a good idea of what's 'better' when just looking at a list of specs. I think it's worth reading into users experiences with the two, I check in on the Pro-3 thread over on GS somewhat regularly and it does seem like it's a synth not without its issues so that's something worth looking into to see whether those issues would matter for you personally.

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:19 am

Just wanted to give a heads up as I now know this'll definitely be happening..

After bouncing ideas back and forth a bit, Jon's figured out how to implement an idea I've had for a while but unsure how was best to approach it.

With the coming update, we'll be able to set envelopes to be triggered in full or act as they do currently where they respond to gate (like envelopes normally do)

We'll also be able to set the source of the gate / trigger to something other than note on/off with up to 8 other sources (CC / CV / internal envelopes / LFOs)

This sounds like a pretty simple update but the range of possibilities it adds are massive

I'd recently been working on trying to emulate the 303's accent behaviour within the Motas by modifying various settings via CC, this wasn't ideal as it's hard to get the smooth curve shape that gives the accent that WOW sound but now with being able to trigger an envelope with a CC, I should be able to get waaay closer to this goal.

Another use (this one's got me the most excited) is that I'll now be able to use the Motas as a drum machine with up to 6 independent voices (3 VCO's, noise, 2 resonant filters) other than the lack of individual outputs, I actually think this'll turn the Motas into one of the best analog drum machines available due to the large number of options we have for shaping sounds.

There's so many more possibilities than the two mentioned above, you also have things like being able to use the envelope as a tempo sync'd and very flexible LFO by triggering it rhythmically however you choose.

Anyway.. I think this is going to be huge, I'll be sure to get some demos of some of the things I make once the update's out. In the mean time I'd be really curious to hear what others think of this update and any ideas for uses you may have?

MotasSynth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MotasSynth » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:18 pm

New Motas-6 firmware v0118 is now released. The main addition is 8 independent EG trigger/gate sources.
I have also added a 'leap' mode to the arpeggiator (hopefully somewhat like the mode on the Crumar Spirit)

https://www.motas-synth.uk/news.html

CHANGE HISTORY LOG:
v06020118:
FEATURE: Added 8 new independent EG trigger sources.
FEATURE: Added new trigger mode for EGs (in addition to gated).
FEATURE: Added new 'leap' mode to arpeggiator which adds option to play each note in the chord over octave(s) before moving to next note.
FEATURE: Adjusted some MIDI controller events to affect the low-level patch in use instead of the GUI patch-in-use.
BUG-FIX: minor corrections to oscilloscope and frequency display (inaccuracy of FFT frequencies and oscilloscope scale).

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:27 pm

wow. now it really is like a modular...
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote: What do you mean by 'really is'? You mean, what do I look like? Just look in a fucking National Geographic.

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:34 pm

I've been really excited for this update, I'm going to try it out now and try using the Motas as a drum machine. Thanks for that!

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:57 am

Anyone had a go with the new update yet? I had a quick play around with it yesterday (which turned into a few hours of tweaking this one patch) I ended up making a drum kit which I was processing through the filters / overdrive / distortion / feedback / AM.. Such a crazy range of possibilities with this new update! I think the Motas could now probably outshine many drum machines especially in how unique it can sound, One thing that I think is especially unique with the Motas is the amount of modulation you can introduce to create some really unusual grooves and such.

I'm going to have another play with it this evening and I'll record some of the results :)

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:42 pm

damn, I hint to Jon about the arpeggiator leap mode in the Spirit and would be possible for the Motas, and hey presto wham bam here it is. Amazing customer service!

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:32 pm

Been so busy with things the last couple of weeks so I've not had as much a chance for this update as I'd have liked but I've started playing around with it now the last few days and it's just so amazing to see what's possible with this update, I'd initially thought that I'd be able to get 6 voices max out of this but I now realize that if you utilize AM you can get up to 9 voices out of the Motas I think..

Anyway.. Here's a couple of recordings I did with the new firmware:

In this first one, I wanted to show how much movement you can get to your drum utilizing all the modulation on there so I didn't tweak the motas at all during recording apart from at the very end where I changed some gain settings.

in this second one, I just recorded myself tweaking a patch so it may drag a little.. I mainly messed with stuff around towards the end of the signal chain so things like feedback / AM / filter stuff as I think this is again one thing that makes the Motas very special when it comes to drums as you can take quite basic drum sounds and completely warp them in lots of ways.

These patches are really basic compared to what's possible here but I just wanted to show a bit of the potential for anyone who might have overlooked this update :)

Modulus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Modulus » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:53 pm

^The drums from Motas sound friggen awesome Petajaja. :sb: love all your demos so far actually. Really don't need another monosynth but this thing seems quite extraordinary. One day perhaps....

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:57 am

Modulus wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:53 pm
^The drums from Motas sound friggen awesome Petajaja. :sb: love all your demos so far actually. Really don't need another monosynth but this thing seems quite extraordinary. One day perhaps....
Thanks, yeah I'm really impressed with the drum sounds you can get out of this thing! if I was just sampling drum sounds from it, they could also be a lot better / more complex as I'm spreading the Motas's features out quite a bit to get so many independent voices out of it.

Yeah I'm also at a point where I definitely don't need any more mono synths but the Motas no longer feels like one to me due to how versatile it is, I definitely can't recommend it enough :party:

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:35 am

Made a quick thing with a drum patch I made this morning, drums and the plucky SQ patch are both from Motas-6's

I'm really impressed with the Motas as a drum machine, there's so many ways to approach it and again I'm still just barely scratching the surface of what's possible here together with Architect.

Bit of a noisy recording for some reason, not sure why that was but it's not from any of the synths but probably some weird gain staging I did on my mixer or maybe the BBD delay I used.

MotasSynth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MotasSynth » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:47 pm

Today I have released v1.00 of a new "How To..." guide for Motas-6.

I plan to expand this document over time adding more How To... tips and tricks.

If any users of Motas-6 have their own tips or tricks that they wouldn't mind sharing then please contact me and I may add to a future revision! :tu:

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:41 am

Nice one on the how to guide, I definitely think the covers pretty much everything that a new user may initially be intimidated by.. hopefully more people will realise that this thing really isn't as intimidating as it may seem with all that potential!

I'll definitely share some stuff about how I've been making drums on the Motas and some tricks I've found so far for getting the most out of it.

On a separate note, I threw together this quickly last night after messing around with a drum patch on one of my Motas units. I realise that I've not made many videos which shows the bass potential of the Motas so hopefully this fixes that

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Now being carried at Detroit Modular in the US - just ordered a B-Stock from them

dykehouse
Common Wiggler

Post by dykehouse » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:15 pm

Thanks for the update and the demos Petajaja! Any chance of a a video or a preset you can share as to show how what you are doing is possible? Would love to see how this works, I am a little thick lol:)

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:27 am

I'm a little thick too so I'll see what I can do! :)

I plan to make some videos on the Motas-6 and a video on the drum stuff will probably be one of the first things I do. But I'm also generally really busy lately so It's difficult for me to find the time currently.

Until then, I'll be happy to try explain it and feel free to ask as much as you'd like if I don't make sense hah..

I sequence everything I do via Loomer - Architect, this program allows me to do pretty much whatever I can think of with MIDI and it definitely helps in making this easier to work with / work smoothly but it should work on any sequencer, it might just be a little more of a pain on some.

What you essentially want to achieve is different envelopes controlling / affecting various independent parts of the Motas.

In the settings, you can set the source for up to 8 alternate trigger sources, I set mine to range from CC10 - 17

In Architect, I set up a sequencer but I convert the Note on to a CC10 with a value of 127 (ON) and the Note off to a CC10 with a value of 0 (OFF) This means I can now just input notes in the sequencer like I normally would and It (depending on settings) will either Gate or trigger whatever envelopes you've assigned to CC10. If you have any sort of midi processor like the Blokas Midihub for example, you should be able to use it to achieve the same thing, you could even make it so only a particular note or note range triggers a particular envelope.

In Architect, I can make a more complex drum patch where I can control the pitch of each independent drum sound (or make multitimbral patches sort of) If you go to the CC mapping bit in the settings, and select a CC to use to control the pitch of your drum sounds. We then do the exact same as we did above with CC10 but now we'll also be converting it to the CC which we assigned to our pitch and you can set it so that the note number controls the value for our pitch CC. Sorry if this is badly explained but if you understand this then you can also do the exact same but with yet another CC and assign it to the level of your VCA envelope and we have velocity on our drums too.

I'll usually set the patch to drone mode by turning the envelope to 0% and the final output VCA to 100% while I'm making a drum patch seeing as you're controlling each VCA independently, you wont get a constant drone coming through. The final VCA can be cool to assign to a drum sound like your hi hat or something and then you can use it to get cool gated effects.

Here's some examples of parts that can be used to become a drum sound.

VCO1
VCO2
VCO3
Noise
LPF1 - self resonant filter / selectable source (noise) / can be used to filter the drums
LPF2 - self resonant filter / selectable source (noise) / can be used to filter the drums
HPF - selectable source (noise)
Any VCA can have an audio rate LFO on it which you can pluck with an envelope to get additional sounds.

And then it becomes a ton of fun experimenting with all the ways you can process your drums internally, here's a few:

Overdrive the mixer section
Mess around with feedback (try plucking it?)
Audio rate LFOs on VCAs for AM effects
Audio rate LFOs on filters for FFM effects
Experiment with filter routing

The above is the basic idea, probably not very clear but hopefully you get the gist of it.

I made a patch the other day where I was able to play the 3 oscillators like 3 independent mono synths, obviously they still share the filters but it was cool none the less, I'm sure there's a bunch of ideas on how to use this stuff that I've not even thought of yet.

MotasSynth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MotasSynth » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:50 pm

New Motas-6 firmware v0119 is now released.

The main addition is a new feature to randomise 'towards' the patch settings in the previous fast-access slot.
This allows using regular randomise to move 'away' combined with this feature to 'randomly deviate back'. See page 33 of the updated User Guide.
Thanks to Nelson for inspiring this feature!

CHANGE HISTORY LOG:
v06020119:
FEATURE: Added new 'randomise to prev patch' feature.
FEATURE: Improved HPF calibration routine (improved accuracy of low-frequency points)
FEATURE: Updated 'copy' page. Improved 'randomise page' by now also randomising EG and LFO choices
FEATURE: Improved 'reset page' offset values.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:02 pm

MotasSynth wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:50 pm
New Motas-6 firmware v0119 is now released.

The main addition is a new feature to randomise 'towards' the patch settings in the previous fast-access slot.
This allows using regular randomise to move 'away' combined with this feature to 'randomly deviate back'. See page 33 of the updated User Guide.
Thanks to Nelson for inspiring this feature!

CHANGE HISTORY LOG:
v06020119:
FEATURE: Added new 'randomise to prev patch' feature.
FEATURE: Improved HPF calibration routine (improved accuracy of low-frequency points)
FEATURE: Updated 'copy' page. Improved 'randomise page' by now also randomising EG and LFO choices
FEATURE: Improved 'reset page' offset values.
Am I right in thinking this is somewhat like the nord modular patch mutator?

Return to “General Gear”