uhm. Digitakt is king.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:27 am

Yeah I had my first crash of my digitakt using midi to control my modular. Shame, I was really in the groove! And was only using one midi track.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:26 am

So I've been pushing the MIDI side of the DT pretty hard, and I've been experiencing increasing malfunctions. It's not terrible, with a power cycle it resolves, but CC's will stop sending from time to time. I've had a few actual crashes where the unit froze. In all scenarios no data was lost, a power cycle restored everything.

CoreInside
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CoreInside » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:14 pm

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:10 am

miles_macquarrie wrote:Really between this and a squarp pyramid.

I have an mpc live as a sampler and I'm mostly interested in the midi capabilities.

P locked program changes as well as the conditional trigs sound cool, but.....

Squarp has all that automation, euclidean stuff etc. What is the right choice????
For MIDI sequencing, the Pyramid poos all over the DT and anything else from Elektron.

Just like DT users waiting for the bug fixes, I'm still waiting for Elektron to release the Sample Transfer app for the AR mk1... the sample upload on that machine is a sad joke. But Elektron chose to sh*t on their existing customer base in favour of more toy boxes with candy buttons and cute pixel art, and the buggy Overbridge software... which will never be a decent alternative to actual individual outs.

At this point only those willing to pay to be beta testers, and have disposable income, should consider buying a new Elektron box. If you order it from Elektron, return shipping is on you, and you'll be waiting for them to fix it and send it back.... :mad:

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 am

Sinamsis wrote:So I've been pushing the MIDI side of the DT pretty hard, and I've been experiencing increasing malfunctions. It's not terrible, with a power cycle it resolves, but CC's will stop sending from time to time. I've had a few actual crashes where the unit froze. In all scenarios no data was lost, a power cycle restored everything.
You did lose your precious pattern chains though, right? Song mode strikes again - or the lack there of.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
(I don't use midi so can't relate to the supposed "bugs").
The bugs are not supposed or in quotes - they are for real, according to many people reporting them. I don't think there's an anti-Elektron conspiracy but maybe they deserve one.

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:09 pm

ive seen my brothers digitakt freeze often enough to not want to betatest any electron gear myself while hoping months or years for bugfixes/updates.

their shit is waaaay to expensive for what it is.

not taking away from all the people that use their elecgron gear in a way they dont experience those problems as often and can have fun with it, its just nothing for me .... i have other quality standards.

they have managed nothing else for me but made that circlon sequentix look not as expensive as i have seen it before ... thats okay for me.
maybe circlon sends a thankyoucard some day after enough ex-electron customers went their way =)

thisoldmike
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldmike » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 pm

I've enjoyed my Digitakt so far and have had a crash here and there, but it hasn't happened very often. I'm typically only sequencing 2-3 MIDI devices in addition to the 8 audio tracks on the machine, so I'm not working it too terribly hard and maybe that's why I haven't seen as many problems as other folks have seen.

I also use it as a drum machine/sampler and I'm looking forward to the release of Overbridge so I can process each track individually and use it to back the thing up. Lack of Overbridge out of the box and the MIDI issues are all limitations I was aware of when I bought it, and to date those problems have been minor irritations to me more than anything else. Now, if these things don't get addressed this month as Elektron has stated, I'll be a tad chapped and my opinion might change, but for now I really like using this little box for sequencing and percussion duties. Is it the king? Probably not, but for what it does I'm pretty dang happy with it.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:39 pm

gentle_attack wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:So I've been pushing the MIDI side of the DT pretty hard, and I've been experiencing increasing malfunctions. It's not terrible, with a power cycle it resolves, but CC's will stop sending from time to time. I've had a few actual crashes where the unit froze. In all scenarios no data was lost, a power cycle restored everything.
You did lose your precious pattern chains though, right? Song mode strikes again - or the lack there of.
Not really using pattern chains right now, so it was really a non issue. I'm using Ableton to send program changes to the DT, AR and AK, and arrange songs that way... if I wasn't going to use a computer I'd use my MPC Live. Or I'd use the DT as my master controller, so I'd be punching in the pattern changes myself. So lack of song mode doesn't bother me. I knew that when I bought it.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm

racooniac wrote:ive seen my brothers digitakt freeze often enough to not want to betatest any electron gear myself while hoping months or years for bugfixes/updates.

their shit is waaaay to expensive for what it is.

not taking away from all the people that use their elecgron gear in a way they dont experience those problems as often and can have fun with it, its just nothing for me .... i have other quality standards.

they have managed nothing else for me but made that circlon sequentix look not as expensive as i have seen it before ... thats okay for me.
maybe circlon sends a thankyoucard some day after enough ex-electron customers went their way =)

Haha, great, preorder a Cirklon. In the year or so it takes to get it, I'll be enjoying my DT. At a fraction of the cost. I just laugh people say "it's too expensive" or "it's not worth that much money" about gear in general. The DT is Elektron's most affordable machine and it packs quite a bit of function in a very small format. It's not for everyone, but now you're just hating.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:52 pm

Panason wrote:
miles_macquarrie wrote:Really between this and a squarp pyramid.

I have an mpc live as a sampler and I'm mostly interested in the midi capabilities.

P locked program changes as well as the conditional trigs sound cool, but.....

Squarp has all that automation, euclidean stuff etc. What is the right choice????
For MIDI sequencing, the Pyramid poos all over the DT and anything else from Elektron.

Just like DT users waiting for the bug fixes, I'm still waiting for Elektron to release the Sample Transfer app for the AR mk1... the sample upload on that machine is a sad joke. But Elektron chose to sh*t on their existing customer base in favour of more toy boxes with candy buttons and cute pixel art, and the buggy Overbridge software... which will never be a decent alternative to actual individual outs.

At this point only those willing to pay to be beta testers, and have disposable income, should consider buying a new Elektron box. If you order it from Elektron, return shipping is on you, and you'll be waiting for them to fix it and send it back.... :mad:

Transfer app should work for your Rytm. That said, SDS drop is what I've used for a while now. It was cheap and you can directly drop a sample into any pad.

https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uplo ... Readme.pdf

Haha, when did it get so Gearslutty over here?

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:45 pm

Sinamsis wrote:Haha, when did it get so Gearslutty over here?
Some of us are just too busy playing our DTs to engage in arguing with negative posts. :hihi:

I've started using MIDI finally, and not a single issue yet. I haven't pushed it hard, but with a couple tracks, some CCs etc. it's just been trucking along.

Starting to froth waiting for my Digitone...

:party:

Nothing with a CPU is ever going to be perfect. As long as they end up fixing things, I have no complaints.

hardwarecore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hardwarecore » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:30 am

Deluge 1.4 beta: Probability/Iteration per step.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just sayin. :P

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Sinamsis wrote: Transfer app should work for your Rytm. That said, SDS drop is what I've used for a while now. It was cheap and you can directly drop a sample into any pad.
Transfer App only works for the mk2 currently. With no clear indication it will ever work on the mk1. The machine is otherwise so advanced that having such a slow sample transfer option using the antiquated MIDI SDS protocol despite a USB connection present...it is sad.

SDS Drop costs too much for what it is.. and you need an account with Apple to buy it and it's tied to the App Store... and my point is that this should have been offered by Elektron themselves from the start, and that they appear to be already abandoning the mk1 in favour of selling the new boxes.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:35 pm

hardwarecore wrote:Deluge 1.4 beta: Probability/Iteration per step.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just sayin. :P
so far i´ve heard not one piece of music coming from the deluge that i could take for serious.
there was not one piece having "a sound"

while for example the digitone just seems "to sound"
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:59 pm

Panason wrote:
Sinamsis wrote: Transfer app should work for your Rytm. That said, SDS drop is what I've used for a while now. It was cheap and you can directly drop a sample into any pad.
Transfer App only works for the mk2 currently. With no clear indication it will ever work on the mk1. The machine is otherwise so advanced that having such a slow sample transfer option using the antiquated MIDI SDS protocol despite a USB connection present...it is sad.

SDS Drop costs too much for what it is.. and you need an account with Apple to buy it and it's tied to the App Store... and my point is that this should have been offered by Elektron themselves from the start, and that they appear to be already abandoning the mk1 in favour of selling the new boxes.

You're making pretty sweeping claims, and have done so in multiple threads at this point... if Elektron were abandoning mk I units, they wouldn't have provided an OS update to the mk I OT to bring it up to speed with the mk II. Also, when you bought a Rytm (did you buy a Rytm, or are you just talking shit again?) there never once was a suggestion that fast file transfer was a current option. Who are you to say what a company should and should not do? Does Elektron owe it to you to provide quick and efficient sample transfer to the Rytm mk I? Personally I found the sampling side of the Rytm worthless because of the clumsy sample handling early on. I didn't complain, I just sold the unit. Later on, as prices dropped, I decided to revisit it. For me the analog side along with the advanced sequencer was worth the price of entry. Later discovering SDS drop took the Rytm to the next level for me. Seriously? You spend over $1k potentially on an instrument and you can't spend $20 on software that makes it infinitely easier to use? I just find that interesting logic. For me the MK I is good as it is, and I probably won't "upgrade" to a mk II in the near future.

And really... if I hear about the Deluge one more time... to me, just looking at it makes me want to throw up in my mouth. People love to compare it to this and that and say how much better it is. It seems like a very acquired taste to me. Personally I don't think I'd stand more than an hour with it.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Good to have an Ignore button!

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Haha, typical Gearslutz behavior.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:28 pm

don't know much about the Deluge, the Digitakt is amazebutts. yes, i want Overbridge and multiple outs, that would be nice.

but it sounds great, is a blast to program, has a great interface, invites all the knob wubble recordings, and works a charm out my Endorphin.es Shuttle Control for modular shenanigans.

simple beat through my newly acquired Filterbank 2 -

[video][/video]
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

CoreInside
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CoreInside » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 pm

1.05 is out

https://www.elektron.se/support/?connec ... #resources

List of changes from OS 1.04 to 1.05
Improvements
Sound pool is added to the project. It is now possible to use sound locks on sequencer steps.
Previewing Sounds in the Sound browser temporarily disables the [FUNC] + [UP/DOWN] page
scrolling.
Encoder click sensitivity is adjusted for better usability.
The Track level graphics is now differentiated from other volume parameters graphics.
There is now an indication that tells if the user tries to load a sample which exceeds available RAM
in size.
The active track indicator now has inverted graphics.
The active page name is shown in the title bar when changing pages.
Added a new Storage view to see the used/total amount of memory and the number of projects,
Sounds, and samples. The Storage view is available in the SYSTEM menu.
LFO speed parameter snaps to powers of two.
Added sysex dump functionality.
Added warning when trying to load more samples than there are slots available.
Bug fixes
Allowed more headroom in the bit-crusher to improve audio quality.
Main output had inverted polarity. The main output polarity has been reversed.
The Sound browser would change the preview sound immediately when highlighting it in the list.
The Sound browser now changes the preview sound only when you press [FUNC]+[YES].
LFO Depth parameter locks were sometimes lost when saving.
Outgoing MIDI CC data from the FX parameter pages were under some circumstances sent to the
wrong MIDI channel.
BPM fraction would sometimes be incorrectly displayed.
The filter trig parameter had no effect. The filter envelope was always triggered by a note trig but
never triggered by a lock trig. All patterns will be automatically upgraded to compensate for the
changes introduced by this fix.
Lock trigs affected the release timing of the amplitude envelope.
Page LEDs would not be fully lit when expanding pattern length in the SCALE menu.
MIDI sequencer would crash under certain circumstances.
Selecting OS Upgrade while unit was playing audio would output a static high pitched tone.
2 (7)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
After nudging the tempo, the tempo would change to the value set in Global tempo mode, even if
Pattern tempo was enabled.
Consecutive clear/paste of parameter pages would not work as intended.
Sample selector and modulation destination selector would flicker if they were changed at the
same time as another parameter.
Unit would sometimes freeze during the startup sequence.
MIDI CC was not transmitted from the Master page.
Tune and Note params would skip two octaves instead of one, when dialed with [FUNC] pressed.
In some cases MIDI tracks would stop sending CC values.
Holding down [FUNC]+[CLEAR] while in grid recording mode would rapidly toggle between undo
and redo.
NRPN was not received.
When pressing [FUNC]+[TEMPO] Mute mode would get activated until [FUNC] was pressed again.
Track sound name would not be updated after sound export. Sound list would not be closed after
saving a sound.
Note length when recording multiple Audio tracks (i.e when not in chromatic mode) would not work
properly.
The unit would freeze when having external clock and selecting OS Upgrade.
Lock trigs would always affect the note value.

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:07 am

This update is focused on bug fixes, nothing too exciting...gotta wait for the next one.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:09 am

High Wolf wrote:..............,nothing too exciting...gotta wait for the next one.
update wrote
Encoder click sensitivity is adjusted for better usability.
..........a major point imho.

but on the other side also a major fail in their previous FW.
a totally ununderstandable one. imho
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:01 pm

jia. i am alllll for bug fixes.

and love the Digitakt to bits.

but. needs Song Mode. needs Overbridge/Multiple Outputs. needs to have an easy backup to computer protocol.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

hardwarecore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hardwarecore » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Didn't mean to upset anyone by bringing up the Deluge, so apologies if that was taken as off topic. I was just reading the thread and saw there was quite a bit of discussion comparing the two earlier, presumably as a counterpoint to the "Digitakt is king" premise.

Just saying, the probability thing seems a deciding factor for a lot of people to go the Elektron route and it looks like there's another option now, wasn't sure if anyone was aware of that.

CoreInside
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CoreInside » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Return to “General Gear”