Passive Receivers on the Consumer Side. . .

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box

Passive Receivers on the Consumer Side. . .

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:24 am

This is definitely outside the realm of things I'd normally post here, but I'm going out of my mind and I'm willing to bet that there are people here who have solved this exact conundrum that I'm in.

My TV's only output is optical. I'd like to find a receiver that can do DA via the optical input from the TV, but also has RCA inputs for my phono pre'd turntable. I have a bunch of powered speakers/monitors, etc. because I'm a rep in the music industry and people give me shit entirely too often, so I'd like this unit to be PASSIVE, have a remote controller, and possibly capable of surround though that isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

I've done ENDLESS searches and literally everything that I've come across, regardless of how I skew the searches, pulls up powered, zoned bullshit that I don't need. This seems like it should be common and easy to find, but I've spent TONS of time trying to find something and I've come up empty. I've been working on the pro audio side of things for eons and this consumer bullshit makes NO SENSE to me, so I'd be incredibly grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Ramases
Common Wiggler

Post by Ramases » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:41 am

Not sure about finding something passive but what about an old surround processor?
They normally have optical inputs and lots of analogue connections for turntables etc.
Here's an example (not my auction I should add!)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/meridian-561-pro ... SwstJZUStI

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:51 pm

You could try a crystal radio I guess.

What does TV have to do with anything in the topic?

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Receiver = powered
Preamplifier = passive

Your simply searching for the wrong thing.

Tons of them

http://www.parasound.com/p5.php
http://www.rotel.com/product/rc-1590

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:18 pm

How about a mixer. Forget consumer HiFi receivers, sounds like you need a mixer.. One with an optical input - that may be the tricky part.?

The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:11 pm

Do any of these preamps exist for under $600? Considering that they're literally no different than a receiver MINUS the power amp section, and receivers start at around $150, you'd think there'd be a ton of cheap ones, but I've searched high and low, and the damn things don't seem to exist.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:47 pm

I never knew a passive device could be remote controlled.

I had a giant Sanyo A/V unit that had every possible in/out imagined. I can't recall the model. It was not passive.

No help - just thinking out loud.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:21 am

Oh, in this case I mean passive in the sense that there wouldn't be amperage in the audio outs, not passive in its overall circuitry.

PISS.EXE
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PISS.EXE » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:54 am

Have you gone through stereo preamps on ebay? there are tons to go through. You can get a rotel or adcom or maybe even a GAS or hafler, something like that, for a couple hundred tops. Before I dismantled my big ass stereo and went on a hunt for the best bluetooth speaker I had a hafler power amp and a yamaha natural sound preamp.

Krell preamps are great and have remotes usually but i dont think you will find one for much less than 600, then again i have never looked.

The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:03 am

I found this, which people seem to love in reviews for under $100 shipped, but now that I'm looking at it a little closer, I don't understand the analog input section at all. Why are its RCA inputs specified to speakers positions? I read most of the manual and that doesn't really explain it.

PISS.EXE
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PISS.EXE » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:09 am

The_Crooked_Man wrote:I found this, which people seem to love in reviews for under $100 shipped, but now that I'm looking at it a little closer, I don't understand the analog input section at all. Why are its RCA inputs specified to speakers positions? I read most of the manual and that doesn't really explain it.
I think that takes a digital surround sound signal and turns it into a bunch of analog outputs for you. Not sure it's what you're after.

Is there a reason you are against a normal stereo preamp, because there are almost a dozen Adcom GTP preamps on ebay under $150 alone and even a few Rotels in that range.

The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:25 pm

None of those that I've checked out have optical ins, and I need one of those for the output from my TV.

How are you liking that Akai TomCat that I sold you, by the way? Is it as shitty as you hoped for? :hihi:

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:36 pm

Why do you care if there are amps in it? Just get a receiver that has the features you want in your budget and make sure it has separate outputs for each channel to run to your powered speakers.

The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Haven't found a single one that has both passive and powered outputs like that.

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:14 pm

Hmmm. Maybe get something used then. Every one I've ever bought has RCA outputs on it so you can use it as a preamp or with powered speakers.

PISS.EXE
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PISS.EXE » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:55 pm

The_Crooked_Man wrote:None of those that I've checked out have optical ins, and I need one of those for the output from my TV.

How are you liking that Akai TomCat that I sold you, by the way? Is it as shitty as you hoped for? :hihi:
Oooh, i 100% missed the part where you need optical ins. Honestly i would get one of those preamps and one of these to do cheap digital to analog conversion.

Yes it was! The thing sounds like a fucking mess. One day i hope to work up the effort to make the distortion only work on the kick and not the other sounds too, and add invidual outs too. Might a lot more effort than it's worth but whatever! :hihi:

MintyPig
Common Wiggler

Post by MintyPig » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:26 pm

Is it something like this you are looking for ?DACMagic or Emotiva

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:40 pm

Take a look at the Presonus Central Station Plus. It's a monitor controller with multiple digital and analog inputs. Passive signal path. Basically a switcher with volume control that goes between your stereo audio sources and 1-3 pairs of powered monitors.

SPIDF and Toslink digital inputs (for your TV), RCA ("Aux"-use this for your pre-ampd turntable) and (2) 1/4" TRS analog inputs.

Outputs for up to 3 prs of powered speakers (A/B/C-selected by pushbuttons) with master volume knob, mute and dim switches. Also has headphone jacks with their own volume knobs.
Can be purchased with bundled wired remote ($600 new), or without ($220-300 used on Reverb.com). It's a rack mount unit, but very shallow-no reason you couldn't set it on a tabletop or in your AV furniture somewhere.

Presonus Central Station Plus

Used Central Stations on Reverb.com
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:54 pm

I bought the Technics SH-AC500D for $70, and it'll force me to go surround :guinness:

Return to “General Gear”