Which Nord?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

sp1200
Common Wiggler

Post by sp1200 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:41 pm

I have the Nord Lead 1 with voice expansion. I quite like it as it’s relatively easy to fit in a mix.

I wouldn’t say it sounds as thick as my other analog polys but it does serve a purpose. People say the Lead 1 has a bit of a dirtier sound than the boards that followed.

koam
Common Wiggler

Post by koam » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:01 am

digitalganesha wrote:huge dreamy pads, chaotic futuristic soundscapes... cosmic ambient space layers.
Very much this. I've had a NL3 for a couple of months now and I find it exceptionally happy in this kind of playground.

Also blinken lights, so many :mygod:

NotHerbert
Common Wiggler

Post by NotHerbert » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:52 am

cube48 wrote:
Catmandeux wrote:With regards to the Nord "modulars", are there any issues with running the design software in a modern OS? I assume it's for the windows platform. Or do you need to run a VM for the computer OS?
NMG2 editor on W10, no major issues here except occasional disconnections. Restarting the editor gets me back to editing.
Really? That's interesting. I've never been able to get it to work on win10. I assumed it was incompatible, but maybe it's something else, and I should take another crack at it. I haven't had any problems running it on MacOS 10.11.

muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Post by muddy ranks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm sort of interested in a Nord for its electric piano sounds, so I guess the electro is more my lane. But, having not much experience with actual rhodes or wurlies, I wonder how close they come to achieving their particular tone qualities. Would anybody swear by these as solid alternatives?

Although, it would be so cool to have the Mellotron sounds that you get with stage pianos as well.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Nord G2 rack looks sweet...
Last edited by Panason on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weekdayworrier
Common Wiggler

Post by weekdayworrier » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 am

muddy ranks wrote:I'm sort of interested in a Nord for its electric piano sounds, so I guess the electro is more my lane. But, having not much experience with actual rhodes or wurlies, I wonder how close they come to achieving their particular tone qualities. Would anybody swear by these as solid alternatives?

Although, it would be so cool to have the Mellotron sounds that you get with stage pianos as well.
I have an Electro 5 (and previously had a 2 and a 3). I'm very fond of the Rhodes and Wurli and use them all the time for live gigs. I think they're generally highly regarded emulations, though naturally I've heard some people grumble about them too.

I think for playing live, it's definitely a great alternative. My guess is that they'd hold up for recording as well, but, admittedly, I went with the real deals the last couple of times I recorded, rather than the Nord.

I also used to have a Lead 2x. I ended up selling it because I really wasn't getting much use out of it and, well, you know, modules. But I do sort of regret it. It really had some quirks I haven't found in other synths. The arpeggiator seemed to do some wacky things, for one. And it just kind of had its own sound--I guess you could call it thin, but I found it pretty pleasing, to my ears.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:27 am

I had a long debate over 2 vs 2x and keyboard vs rack.

I thought about every nord lead model and settled on either 2 or 2x. After listening and reading lots I picked the plain 2. no regrets. I thought the 2 vs the 2x was like the esq1 vs the sq80 soundwise.

The thing has bass power like crazy too.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:14 pm

I recently got a Nord 3. So far I'm super happy with it... It has the perfect synth hands-on interface. All synths with patch memories and knobs should use those led rings around endless encoders. being able to see what is being modulated right on the front panel is awesome. Digital wiggler's paradise.. :hihi:

Certain settings in FM synthesis (in DM mode I think) can cause audio glitches and dropouts.. is that normal?

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:13 pm

^ the problem with the nord 3 lit encoders is they are not currently being manufactured. Also, while the visual feedback is nice, they are still endless encoders and many prefer pots that stop on each end of their throw. The lit indicators also only has 16 positions which is at best "ball park" of knob position. The small benefit of these shortly disappears after a few minutes of getting to know the synth. This is of course one mans opinion

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:41 pm

estin wrote:^ the problem with the nord 3 lit encoders is they are not currently being manufactured. Also, while the visual feedback is nice, they are still endless encoders and many prefer pots that stop on each end of their throw. The lit indicators also only has 16 positions which is at best "ball park" of knob position. The small benefit of these shortly disappears after a few minutes of getting to know the synth. This is of course one mans opinion
I disagree. The LED indicators are not meant to be an accurate representation of the value, merely an indication. The screen precisely shows the precision of any adjustment. The real value of the lights is when you switch presets and the position of every knob adjusts to give visual feedback of the patch. It is particularly useful when multiple knobs are receiving midi CCs and you can see each LED collar wobble and slide to the instructions given. This is quite special and the value endures for years. Only my opinion too 8-)

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 am

No idea what people's problem with endless encoders is.... the Nord 3 design is the best! The knobs are sturdy with no wobble and have just the right amount of resistance.

Being able to route any parameter to mod wheel/aftertouch/velocity from the front panel with no menu diving is phenomenal and puts all other digital/ hybrid synth designs to shame. And you can see what is being modulated thanks to the LEDs so it's easy to troubleshoot sequenced modulations.

So can anyone comment on this ?
Certain settings in FM synthesis (in DM mode I think) can cause audio glitches and dropouts.. is that normal?
I'm just hoping my Nord 3 isn't faulty ?

Arcana
Common Wiggler

Post by Arcana » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Nord Lead 2x (rack) is my all time favorite synth so far. It’s my workhorse: I use it 4 part multitimbral for multitrack recording. It’s super immediate, has tons of voices, does many different sounds, and is not too large or small.

It does have limitations, like lacking effects and some modulations (and clock sync) but it’s like a fifteen-year old digital synth. I got mine for not that much - it was a really good value.

supersuper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by supersuper » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 pm

The nord modulate are pretty unique in the synthesis world.

The lead 3 is also unique because of its user interface.

The real strength of subtractive synths was their physical controls not their analogue sound aesthetic. A lot of great music has been produced on the nords.

Return to “General Gear”