MFB Dominion Club

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Spectromat
Common Wiggler

Post by Spectromat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:03 pm

The manual has arrived:

http://mfberlin.de/wp-content/uploads/d ... man_en.pdf

exited for this synth's final arrival :hyper:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:28 pm

I´m still trying to know if it has preset memory for the sounds other than the sequences

EDIT : yes, it has! page 17 of the manual! I´m in!

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Its sounds really good, but this does seem to have more dual button accessed functions. The main parameters all have knobs, but I'm curious if this is as nice to use as the D1.

Spectromat
Common Wiggler

Post by Spectromat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:21 am

stikygum wrote:Its sounds really good, but this does seem to have more dual button accessed functions. The main parameters all have knobs, but I'm curious if this is as nice to use as the D1.
I like the layout of the D1 and agree it's nice to use, but it is quite big, especially with other gear for live. I have had a Tanzmaus for a little while and whilst it took some time to get my head around the use of the interface & buttons, I am getting used to it now and quite looking forward to trying it with the club synth inside the same size box. :tu:

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm just not a fan of those tiny buttons the Tanzmaus uses. They're like the original DSI Evolver buttons, which I hated. The Tanzbar buttons are much nicer.

Plus I'm just not a fan of multi button pressed if it doesn't have to be that way. Which it's not on the D1 so much. With that said, the Club seems to have different Osc functionality with the morphing ability digital Osc.

Looks like the Club has loopable Env :tu: Looks like it has 'Motion' recording too, which is great.

Novem
Learning to Wiggle

Dominion Club

Post by Novem » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:17 pm

The filter, oscillators, and LFO's can morph, all knobs send and receive midi cc and are recordable per step (p-lock) and realtime.

N.

neil_kerr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neil_kerr » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:56 am

Anyone heard anything further as to when these are available?

Contacted MFB to check but heard nothing back.

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:25 am

hot damn! this looks megaaahhhh, morphing LFO's you say? mmmmm tasty and its listed at 519 euros on their site, nice price!

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:30 am

In stock at MeMe Antenna.

Spectromat
Common Wiggler

Post by Spectromat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:39 am

[video][/video]
Looks like these are out in the wild now.
Last edited by Spectromat on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:53 am

God I don't want to buy one and have no use for one but I want one.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:37 pm

This definitely sounds the business. I could see this as a popular bass synth. In fact I'd choose it over the Minitaur.

Spectromat
Common Wiggler

Post by Spectromat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:50 am

[video][/video]

Spectromat
Common Wiggler

Post by Spectromat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:45 pm

[video][/video]

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:39 am

Anyone wants to share their experience with this bad boy? How is the sound? How is the UI?
Looks like there are tiny buttons and combos to activate some functions but can you tweak filter / lfo / vco basic knobs instantly?
Also, how advanced is the arpeggiator?

spikysimon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by spikysimon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:40 am

High Wolf wrote:Anyone wants to share their experience with this bad boy? How is the sound? How is the UI?
Looks like there are tiny buttons and combos to activate some functions but can you tweak filter / lfo / vco basic knobs instantly?
Also, how advanced is the arpeggiator?
Sounds great IMO, really good for bass, but also capable of some pretty sweet and clean leads. I love it. I'm toying with getting another.

UI doesn't take that long to get used to -- certainly isn't as tricky as a tanzbar reportedly is (never used one). All the basic functions are a knob tweak away -- oscs, envelopes, LFOs and filter all have dedicated knobs, it's very hands. the buttons are used for stuff like setting LFO destination, sequencer functions detune. Some functions are accessed using a shift key, but the panel is pretty clearly labelled. Some stuff (like mapping pitch/mod wheels, mapping velocity to VCA and velocity to VCF) is in the select menu, which takes a bit of getting used to. Takes no more than an hour or so to get used to really.

Arp is pretty basic -- you have the usual original/up/down/up+down/rand and division. It does latch.

Long time lurker, signed up to reply to this as I had something to contribute, so... hi!

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:22 am

^ thanks a lot man

joesdeals

Post by joesdeals » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:12 am

sick

SmokyClap
Common Wiggler

Post by SmokyClap » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Looks cool. I have the dominion one and I love it. Hopefully one day theyll get around to releasing the dominion five.

spikysimon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by spikysimon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:19 am

SmokyClap wrote:Looks cool. I have the dominion one and I love it. Hopefully one day theyll get around to releasing the dominion five.
That would be an instabuy for me.

SmokyClap
Common Wiggler

Post by SmokyClap » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:52 pm

spikysimon wrote:
SmokyClap wrote:Looks cool. I have the dominion one and I love it. Hopefully one day theyll get around to releasing the dominion five.
Yeah, same. Price be damned. Although, their prices are usually fair. I’ve been waiting to buy he right polysynth for so long and now theres more options and I can’t decide. Must be because I secretly long for the dominion 5 and only the dominion 5.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:27 pm

SmokyClap wrote:
spikysimon wrote:
Yeah, same. Price be damned. Although, their prices are usually fair. I’ve been waiting to buy he right polysynth for so long and now theres more options and I can’t decide. Must be because I secretly long for the dominion 5 and only the dominion 5.
Has there been any talk of that happening? Years ago he talked about making it, but said he was focusing on the current products for the time being. And the thing is, priorities can shift over a big period of time like this, so I don't know if I'd hold your breathe. Not like it's comparable, but you look at the Deepmind 12 and Dreadbox Abyss and think that maybe he's feeling it would be tough to come in at an affordable price point. The Dominion 1 is quality and I feel like a Dominion 5 would have to cost in the $2000-3000 range. Are you willing to pay that? I think if it could rival the DSI P6.

But I think the questions are, what are people's expectations of the D5 and is that feasible for MFB.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:20 am

I nearly bought this but couldn't trust MFB build quality and firmware on a newly released synth so I decided to give it a year to see how it is with bugs etc...

I think they missed a great opportunity by not giving this a 16-button step sequencer like in the Tanzmaus. When I first saw it I assumed it woud have this, then I counted the buttons :confused:

The colour is off putting too. Make it black or white, dammit.
Last edited by Panason on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:29 am

windspirit wrote: While there are a lot of decisions that I questioned about my tanzmaus (pressing 2 buttons to start/ stop the sequence??) I got the hang of it pretty quickly.
I would never put up with that... I actually emailed MFB about it asking if it's at all possible to mod the Tanzmaus to add a dedicated Play button and it was a no.... MFB are proper german techno geeks who don't understand much about human-machine interface design... much like Jomox... at least the MFB stuff is not full of bugs?

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:30 am

Are owners still.digging this? I'm considering one as a live version of my Dominion 1 and wonder if this can get in the same ballpark, sonically speaking. I realize there will be some differences....but if it can capture that haunting low end I'll have to pick one up.

Return to “General Gear”