How to use Motu Ultralite spdif in?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

How to use Motu Ultralite spdif in?

Post by lohacker » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:04 pm

I'm running out of inputs on my Motu Ultralite mkIII and was wondering how I can use the digital spdif inputs to connect more channels from my modular.
I've never used it but I guess I need an analog to digital converter, do you have any tips and/or links for an affordable solution?

skyshaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skyshaver » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:15 pm

Ramases
Common Wiggler

Post by Ramases » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:20 pm

Yes, an analogue to digital convertor is what you need.

Lots of options from cheap to expensive!

I use adat rather than spdif so can't recommend a particular device but there's a whole list here which may help narrow down your options a bit.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/digital_conve ... tml?oa=pra

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:37 pm

skyshaver wrote:Expert sleepers?
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es4.html
I love the ES line, but for the moment I'd consider a cheaper and simple solution, thanks anyway!

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:43 pm

Ramases wrote:Yes, an analogue to digital convertor is what you need.

Lots of options from cheap to expensive!

I use adat rather than spdif so can't recommend a particular device but there's a whole list here which may help narrow down your options a bit.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/digital_conve ... tml?oa=pra
Thanks, I'm looking for something along the line, maybe I've found a good candidate:
https://www.thomann.de/ie/lindy_audioko ... gspdif.htm

:tu:

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:20 pm

I was tempted to add that to my Focusrite 8i6 to give me the full 6 inputs, I spoke to Focusrite about it and they said they couldn't guarantee it would work but didn't see why it shouldn't work.

My only worry was the A-D conversion in the Lindy might be noticeably poorer than the Focusrite conversion.

would be interested if anyone else has tried using that product.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:09 pm

hamildad wrote:I was tempted to add that to my Focusrite 8i6 to give me the full 6 inputs, I spoke to Focusrite about it and they said they couldn't guarantee it would work but didn't see why it shouldn't work.

My only worry was the A-D conversion in the Lindy might be noticeably poorer than the Focusrite conversion.

would be interested if anyone else has tried using that product.
That's exactly my concern, I'm not sure it would work before buying it :hmm:

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:22 am

it will work, I dont see why not...

the LINDY spec says
The digital output signal is a 2 channel uncompressed LPCM (Linear Pulse Code Modulation) with a sampling rate at 48KHz.
so as long as your MOTU was 48Khz to digital clock would be in sync.

I have a Lindy DAC/Headphone amp, and the quality is good. I am just on the fence as to whether I can upgrade my focusrite to better I/O and sell the old one or buy the lindy

the lindy would work and is cheaper, but more cables/ power sockets used/things to get unplugged etc...

:hmm:
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:44 am

hamildad wrote: the lindy would work and is cheaper, but more cables/ power sockets used/things to get unplugged etc...
:hmm:
Yeah, another power socket in my already intricate forest of plugs is not ideal, the expert sleepers solution is better for this reason, but on the other side my cases are full too... decisions.. decisions... :ripbanana:

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:52 am

You might be able to find a decent mid-range effects processor with SPDIF outs for a low price on the used market. For a while my main recording path from the modular was through a Kurzweil Rumour into an UltraLite mk3 via SPDIF. I thought it was fine, but I don't have the golden ears that would reveal A/D conversion problems as foretold by legend.

Not all effects processors are alike. The Echo Pro's SPDIF outputs were noticeably bad in this arrangement. I seem to recall also not liking the MPX500's performance.

js213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by js213 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:06 pm

I've got a MK1 Ultralite that I was also planning on connecting with an Expert Sleepers setup.

I was also wondering if you could "chain" multiple MOTU interfaces with SPDIF. I know I've seen that listed with other interfaces, though that may have just been with Firewire (can't remember). Anyone know if this sort of thing is possible with SPDIF?

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:14 pm

suboptimal wrote:You might be able to find a decent mid-range effects processor with SPDIF outs for a low price on the used market.
A bargain sale for a Lexicon MX200/300/400 and I'd consider this option too :love:

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:20 pm

js213 wrote: I was also wondering if you could "chain" multiple MOTU interfaces with SPDIF. I know I've seen that listed with other interfaces, though that may have just been with Firewire (can't remember). Anyone know if this sort of thing is possible with SPDIF?
I know you can daisy chain multiple motu interfaces via FW cable, by doing this way you have access to separate inputs from each device. Using SPDIF you'll be limited only to a stereo channel I guess...

js213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by js213 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:15 pm

lohacker wrote:I know you can daisy chain multiple motu interfaces via FW cable, by doing this way you have access to separate inputs from each device. Using SPDIF you'll be limited only to a stereo channel I guess...
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Return to “General Gear”