Elektron Analog Heat

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:35 pm

I only used overbridge to bounce tracks in real time. I record dry through a K-mix then bounce through the Analog Heat so that when I record in one go I don't have to tweak the AH at the same time as all the rest.

It's a great piece of kit that adds a lot of character and glue to the master.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Panason wrote:I totally gave up on OB after a few days of frustration with it, and I ain't the only one.

There must be another MIDI controlled stereo analog processor that doesn't cost as much?
What do you mean by that? Midi + stereo processor + interface?
With interface:
McMillen KMix has EQ and Reverb and is about the same as AH.
Analog 4/RYTM if you want to roll the dice with OB again

Without the interface part:
Electrix filter factory is kind of like an AH without the interface part. Distortion+LFO+multimode filter. Has Midi.
Strymon and Eventide make a variety of stompbox stereo units that have midi, but aren't interfaces, you'd have to have an interface to get them into your computer.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Ha yeah the jaded lover strikes again. Personally I find it a great value.

Regarding OB and the Heat I find it still a little glitchy. For other machines I think it works pretty damn smooth for audio. Although I have to revisit the AH now that I have an Overhub. Anyways. I’m Bally with the AH even without OB.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:17 am

gentle_attack wrote:
Panason wrote:I totally gave up on OB after a few days of frustration with it, and I ain't the only one.

There must be another MIDI controlled stereo analog processor that doesn't cost as much?
What do you mean by that? Midi + stereo processor + interface?
With interface:
McMillen KMix has EQ and Reverb and is about the same as AH.
Analog 4/RYTM if you want to roll the dice with OB again

Without the interface part:
Electrix filter factory is kind of like an AH without the interface part. Distortion+LFO+multimode filter. Has Midi.
Strymon and Eventide make a variety of stompbox stereo units that have midi, but aren't interfaces, you'd have to have an interface to get them into your computer.
Thanks. I meant just a midi controlled analog "warmer". I have the Rytm and a couple of proper interfaces already! I 'm looking at the Filter Factory but people don't seem to rate its sound that highly. I think I'm fine with plugins for now... music is more important than an extra 5% analog warmth.

Overbridge will never work in conjunction with a second audio interface- there will always be digital audio sync issues.

There is a real shitshow going on at the elektron forum ("Overbidge status update" thread and many more...) Elektron have retreated to silence and are reaping what they sowed.

"Seamless computer integration" :lol:

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:41 pm

i also crave somehow an analog heat but after what i've seen with my brothers digitakt i really really really do NOT want to send any more money in the directon of elektron ... not that they keep thinking they could do this shit to their customers for any longer.

i'll just wait until i stumble upon a used one that has been already bought from elektron so i do not cause another sale on their end ;)

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:22 pm

Panason wrote:Nah, OB is buggy, don't get suckered into that.
I've been using Heat with OB for over a year now and I've never once had any issues. :hmm:

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Panason wrote:Thanks. I meant just a midi controlled analog "warmer". I have the Rytm and a couple of proper interfaces already! I 'm looking at the Filter Factory but people don't seem to rate its sound that highly. I think I'm fine with plugins for now... music is more important than an extra 5% analog warmth.
Plugins are underrate for such applications, or at least aren't horrible compared to hardware. In that case, yeah the Filter Factory may be what you're looking for. I have used mine for all kinds of stuff: treating stereo samples when putting together samples chains, running mixes through it, hell I've even used it on the OUT of my Octatrack, and controlled the cutoff with both my hands, or with the crossfader (it's quite a bit better than the digital filter of the OT). I bought it as an upgrade to my Moogerfooger MF-101 LPF, and while not the exact same thing, I've found it to be very useful especially if you want midi. They were uber cheap on Stupid Deal of the Day or some closeout (I kind of forget) but I got a second hand one for not much at all. The distortion is pretty nice too, IMO.

kites
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kites » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Does anyone use it like a reamp box? I’d imagine Overbridge would be ideal for that.

kites
Wiggling with Experience

Loose pot!

Post by kites » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:11 pm

So got my AH in, but one of the Data Entry pots is super lose and wobbly. Despite that, it still changes values when I power it up.

I opened the panel and looked through the sides, and it seems like the “connector prongs” (lack of proper word), came loose on the board.

Anyone have tips? Would I be able to just clamp down the prongs to the base of the pots?

nashsnazzy
Common Wiggler

Post by nashsnazzy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:38 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:After close to a month with it this thing is definitely a keeper. It really brings the whole mix to life, and I love the pumping "pseudo-compressor" effect you get with the enveloppe follower. You have to be a tad careful with levels so that only the kick drum triggers but then HOT DAMN !

Also now that over bridge works it such a breeze to bounce in realtime and have a "finished" track.

https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/looping-tg-one
Here's one I finished yesterday with the Heat enhancing and pumping.
@Tumulishroomaroom This is a killer little ditty. Thx for sharing!

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 pm

nashsnazzy wrote:
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:After close to a month with it this thing is definitely a keeper. It really brings the whole mix to life, and I love the pumping "pseudo-compressor" effect you get with the enveloppe follower. You have to be a tad careful with levels so that only the kick drum triggers but then HOT DAMN !

Also now that over bridge works it such a breeze to bounce in realtime and have a "finished" track.

https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/looping-tg-one
Here's one I finished yesterday with the Heat enhancing and pumping.
@Tumulishroomaroom This is a killer little ditty. Thx for sharing!
Thanks a lot, glad you like it !

Here's a another similar take on a same theme, a tad more uptempo :

https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/unsynced-manis

kites
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kites » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Had a bit of a sticky start with Overbridge, but it’s working fairly well so far. Feel free to ask me questions if anyone needs help. :cloud:

ssirKriss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ssirKriss » Sun May 20, 2018 10:25 am

So is it safe to run straight hot eurorack level signals into this thing or do I need to use a line level output?

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Mon May 21, 2018 12:39 pm

ssirKriss wrote:So is it safe to run straight hot eurorack level signals into this thing or do I need to use a line level output?
it should be fine. you can attenuate the incoming levels

Torn n Frayed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Torn n Frayed » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:14 am

Hey they just announced the MkII, wonder if it won't work as well; and then what will they come out with @ NAMM, something else unfinished but ready to put out? :bang:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:25 am

Hm, what is the MKII part of it - rectangular buttons and Overbridge enabled (available later)?

:hmm:

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:19 am

"The reason for this upgrade is that some of the MKI components have reached end-of-life, so we took the opportunity to improve some of the hardware to our new buttons, encoders and screen."

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 am

I can't manage to understand their strategy...So many people p***** off...

Sig !

scrunday
Common Wiggler

Post by scrunday » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:23 pm

As long as they make all the OS enhancements, despite the inferior screen, available on the Heat MK1, I don't see what the big deal is. :despair:

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:29 pm

KaOsphere wrote:I can't manage to understand their strategy...So many people p***** off...

It seems the MK2 mostly utilizes parts used by the other machines in their current production line. The screen and buttons are the same as used by the digitakt and the digitone. Sometimes parts become hard to source and regardless it makes better business sense to use the same parts across all of your products so that you can purchase them in bulk. They've improved the UI, but both mk1 and mk2 have all the same feature sets.

People need to chill the fuck out.

Ra
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ra » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:49 pm

The improved UI is certainly useful.
Additional Mid/Side routing would've been nice though. I think it was (is?) possible via overbridge, but not when using the analog heat without a DAW.

docsample
Learning to Wiggle

Post by docsample » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:01 pm

looks like mkii brings ability to plug-in mono sources. couldn't you do this before?

scrunday
Common Wiggler

Post by scrunday » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:13 pm

docsample wrote:looks like mkii brings ability to plug-in mono sources. couldn't you do this before?
You can't plug a mono source into mki and get a stereo-processed sound out. Hopefully they add a setting to work with mono inputs on the mki.

phats
Common Wiggler

Post by phats » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:55 am

orangehexagon wrote: People need to chill the fuck out.
The angst comes from the timing mostly. People are really hanging for overbridge, a lot of people are upset they paid for something that has been repeatedly delayed. Rightly or wrongly elektronauts is a pretty dire place right now.

"Hey guys we updated the screen on heat!" comes across as a bit tone deaf.

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:17 am

orangehexagon wrote:
KaOsphere wrote:I can't manage to understand their strategy...So many people p***** off...

It seems the MK2 mostly utilizes parts used by the other machines in their current production line. The screen and buttons are the same as used by the digitakt and the digitone. Sometimes parts become hard to source and regardless it makes better business sense to use the same parts across all of your products so that you can purchase them in bulk. They've improved the UI, but both mk1 and mk2 have all the same feature sets.

People need to chill the fuck out.
I think making an MK2 version of a product that is one year and half old,and announcing that it is because parts are no longer produced is a bad move, especially for a company which built its reputation on reliability, quality and forward vision...

And that is probably what is making a lot of people mad at them...

Elektron lives on the past glory of 3 absolutely genius machines : Machinedrum, MonoMachine and Octatrack.
Each one of them bringing something new to the table when they were released...
And today, still relevant...
I'm not sure their other products are up to the standard they've reached with those ones...

I think more magic was expected from them...

When you see what Rusty has achieved with octatedit v2 on the ot, I can understand the frustration of people who bought new machines with overbridge in mind...Things add to the pile...

Maybe that's the way it is now... :despair:
Sig !

Return to “General Gear”