Elektron Analog Heat

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: Glasgow

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 am

So tempted by the Analog Heat, but I need to pay off other gear before going for something this pricey.

Also anxiously awaiting the OTO BOUM if it ever comes out...

:bananaguitar:
9u rack, 6u rack, 3u rack -- http://noisepedals.com - for effects pedal demos with synths/drum machines. Music: http://bowtie.bandcamp.com Cassette Tape Label: http://cowtonguetaco.com

User avatar
shwanton
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Post by shwanton » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 am

Also anxiously awaiting the OTO BOUM if it ever comes out...
Update on the OTO BOUM from the OTO Machine forums:
Hi to all,
First, sorry for not being very active on the OTO forum. I’ll try to come here more frequently in the future.
About BOUM, the last prototype has satisfied me, at last !
BOUM was the most complex machine that I had to design so far, on a technical and sonic sides. I’m now very happy with the sound of this machine, it will range from very subtle warming treatment, to very squary distortions. The compressor is very easy and fun to use, and the lowpass filter is very smooth.
The design office will start working on BOUM from the 4th of september and should deliver us the printed boards and the manufacturing files september the 15th. After that the factory in Normandy will start the production this fall.
I will give you specs and let you know an estimated release date in a month or two.
All the best,
Denis

User avatar
Elephantbud
Common Wiggler
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:23 pm
Location: Portugal

Post by Elephantbud » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Great news! I was waiting for that one!

User avatar
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1078
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:43 am
Location: Göteborg, Sweden

Post by jonne74 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:43 am

Sinamsis wrote:$30 on Amazon:
What a great idea! Hopefully I get my AH today.

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4442
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:39 pm

jonne74 wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:$30 on Amazon:
What a great idea! Hopefully I get my AH today.
I really like it... I can swing the Heat in and out as I need it, and I find myself using it pretty frequently these days. So it's perfect.

User avatar
jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1078
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:43 am
Location: Göteborg, Sweden

Post by jonne74 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:54 pm

How do I update to v1.02 with Ableton? I have the sysex file ready. Where do I put it? Analog Heat is MIDI ready, just can't get Overbridge to see it. I'm asking here incase someone else has the same problem.

win10, ableton live

EDIT: I managed to do it in Reaper and it's now v1.02. Let's see if that's any more helpful.

EDIT2: I give up on Overbridge and USB/soundcard use. I'll just run my mixer through it into my other card. It sounds fantastic! Hope they can get the drivers sorted.

User avatar
Jerome
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:02 pm
Location: Liège

Post by Jerome » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:56 pm

I was a bit skeptical when the unit was released then I give it a go. And I've been blown away. The clean boost is really subtle and musical for instance. And so is the distorsion. Since then all my synths go trough the AH, for some additional warm or destruction or filtering or some LFO. I got some wonderful results with the round Fuzz processing an ARP Odyssey. Incredibly organic. The AH is pricey but vast. And simple in use. I'm not gonna sell this one.

User avatar
tross
Common Wiggler
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:22 am

Post by tross » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
jonne74 wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:$30 on Amazon:
What a great idea! Hopefully I get my AH today.
I really like it... I can swing the Heat in and out as I need it, and I find myself using it pretty frequently these days. So it's perfect.
But how do you mount Heat to platform?

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4442
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:47 pm

tross wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
jonne74 wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:$30 on Amazon:
What a great idea! Hopefully I get my AH today.
I really like it... I can swing the Heat in and out as I need it, and I find myself using it pretty frequently these days. So it's perfect.
But how do you mount Heat to platform?
It's called a VESA mount... the Heat has holes on the back that are compatible.

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:16 pm

I just received a Heat today ! Very psyched :). 550€ like new from a local guy, + a deck saver cover made it quite a reasonable purchase.

So far I've only had time to use it on the master bus with sounds coming from the modular and digitakt but it already does wonders at (no so) subtle enhancement settings. It really fuses both sounds sources together, exactly what I was looking for. I need to RTFM as well to get the enveloppe follower going next.

F*cking instant industrial kickdrums !

User avatar
fuzzyboy
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:54 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Post by fuzzyboy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 pm

My huge complaint about the Heat is its proprietary audio drivers.

That thing would fit so well with portable iPad-based production/performance kit. Using it as a DA + all of the analog goodies without a laptop would be a killer setup!

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:I just received a Heat today ! Very psyched :). 550€ like new from a local guy, + a deck saver cover made it quite a reasonable purchase.

So far I've only had time to use it on the master bus with sounds coming from the modular and digitakt but it already does wonders at (no so) subtle enhancement settings. It really fuses both sounds sources together, exactly what I was looking for. I need to RTFM as well to get the enveloppe follower going next.

F*cking instant industrial kickdrums !
Here the first tune I recorded with it ! It's really night and day, so much more punch ! I love it already.

http://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/iteritas-heat

Image
image host

I've had no luck so far with Ableton or Logic recognizing the Heat in Overbridge though? I don't really know what to do as I've followed the manual but there's no way it will show up connected...

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 am

After close to a month with it this thing is definitely a keeper. It really brings the whole mix to life, and I love the pumping "pseudo-compressor" effect you get with the enveloppe follower. You have to be a tad careful with levels so that only the kick drum triggers but then HOT DAMN !

Also now that over bridge works it such a breeze to bounce in realtime and have a "finished" track.


https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/looping-tg-one
Here's one I finished yesterday with the Heat enhancing and pumping.

User avatar
kites
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:00 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by kites » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:27 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:After close to a month with it this thing is definitely a keeper. It really brings the whole mix to life, and I love the pumping "pseudo-compressor" effect you get with the enveloppe follower. You have to be a tad careful with levels so that only the kick drum triggers but then HOT DAMN !

Also now that overbridge works it such a breeze to bounce in realtime and have a "finished" track.


https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/looping-tg-one
Here's one I finished yesterday with the Heat enhancing and pumping.
Nice tunes! Glad to hear that overbridge is working for you, are you on OS X (what version if so)?

I noticed there haven't been any updates for the AH or Overbridge since '16. Wasn't an update suppose to happen last month in Feb? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on AH an soon. Wondering if I should keep my Waldorf 2-Pole or sell it offset the AH price a bit.

User avatar
xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:37 pm
Location: Auburn, ME
Contact:

Post by xthrasherx » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:44 am

Am I insane for wanting 2 of these in my set up? I'm currently loving it as a psuedo compressor over the master, but I also like it as a FSU box... especially since I can P-Lock it with the OT... Anyone rocking 2 of these? Overkill (If such a thing exists)?
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:41 am

Nah, OB is buggy, don't get suckered into that.

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:45 am

kites wrote:
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:After close to a month with it this thing is definitely a keeper. It really brings the whole mix to life, and I love the pumping "pseudo-compressor" effect you get with the enveloppe follower. You have to be a tad careful with levels so that only the kick drum triggers but then HOT DAMN !

Also now that overbridge works it such a breeze to bounce in realtime and have a "finished" track.


https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/looping-tg-one
Here's one I finished yesterday with the Heat enhancing and pumping.
Nice tunes! Glad to hear that overbridge is working for you, are you on OS X (what version if so)?

I noticed there haven't been any updates for the AH or Overbridge since '16. Wasn't an update suppose to happen last month in Feb? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on AH an soon. Wondering if I should keep my Waldorf 2-Pole or sell it offset the AH price a bit.
Thanks ! and sorry I forgot to answer you. Overbridge is working fine, it was just a protection in High Sierra that had to be de-activated.

User avatar
kites
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:00 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by kites » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:12 pm

CF3 wrote:
Leverkusen wrote:The manual says Mac OS (10.8 - 10.12) - would be pretty crooked if they knew this is not true but print it in the manual! :zombie:
I'm definitely not casting aspersions here. Maybe it worked intially with the first AH OS, and now it doesn't with the new OS :despair: Not sure, but they know about it though and it's put me in a bit of a pickle (minor).

Just wanted to share it before another Wiggler spent 2 days scratching their head like I did only to have support tell them their OSX version is no bueno :deadbanana:


UPDATE: Going to OSX 10.11 El Cap seems to fix the USB issues. Support didn't tell me to do this. I found out on my own after much searching and reading. They need to amend to manual to reflect the reality of the different operating systems on a mac and not just keep saying "upgrade to Sierra". That's not an option for a lot of users.
Hoping it still works on EL Capitan, I’m currently on 10.11.6. Should be buying in an hour or so. Getting GASSY - my first ELEKTRON product. :omg:

User avatar
mrcharles
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 883
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:06 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Post by mrcharles » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:16 pm

I've had one for a long time now. First rate piece of kit.

I've never used OB with it, so I can't comment (on win 7/64, Ableton), but frankly, I've never felt the need.

I like hardware and I appreciate the design and functionality - it is nice to tweak... but also easy to route envelope follower and lfo.

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Going to OSX 10.11 El Cap seems to fix the USB issues. Support didn't tell me to do this. I found out on my own after much searching and reading. They need to amend to manual to reflect the reality of the different operating systems on a mac and not just keep saying "upgrade to Sierra". That's not an option for a lot of users.
Both Elektron and Native Instruments are drinkers of the Apple kool aid and follow Apple's lead in shitting on their users. They don't care that you might have a crapload of other stuff that will not work on Apple's latest locked-down OS and arbitrarily changed USB implementation (a.k.a. forced obsolescence)
They want to minimise how much support they have to offer, so because they just buy the latest Mac every few months you're suppsoed to do the same and throw away all your other gear and older "legacy" software. Just buy the latest gear or you're just "legacy" . Got a problem? Update to the latest OS and stop bothering us. Because we all know that always keeping your machines "up to date" works out so well :evil:

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:16 pm

kites wrote:
Hoping it still works on EL Capitan, I’m currently on 10.11.6. Should be buying in an hour or so. Getting GASSY - my first ELEKTRON product. :omg:
If you're buying this on the hope of Overbridge working out, you have a high chance of a huge dissapointment.

If you buy direct from Elektron bear in mind that you will not be able to get your money back if you want to return it.

User avatar
kites
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:00 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by kites » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:46 pm

Panason wrote:
kites wrote:
Hoping it still works on EL Capitan, I’m currently on 10.11.6. Should be buying in an hour or so. Getting GASSY - my first ELEKTRON product. :omg:
If you're buying this on the hope of Overbridge working out, you have a high chance of a huge dissapointment.

If you buy direct from Elektron bear in mind that you will not be able to get your money back if you want to return it.
It would be icing on the cake, but not totally necessary. It’s unfortunate that it doesn’t seem stable for long time Elektron customers, you all have my sympathy.

Just snagged a “Warehouse Resealed” for $65 bucks off and a payment plan $57 a month for a year from Zzounds. Haha it’s the only way I’d be able to afford Elektron gear.

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:29 pm

I totally gave up on OB after a few days of frustration with it, and I ain't the only one.

There must be another MIDI controlled stereo analog processor that doesn't cost as much?

User avatar
gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:24 pm
Location: Wash DC

Post by gentle_attack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm

I love the poor kid on r/synthesizers who was doing pro/con the OT vs Digitakt and said
He didn't care about the 4 IN/OUT vs 2/2 because the DGTK had overbridge. I about spit my coffee.

Then I got accused of being mean spirited and unworthy of Elektron gear. It's not that I don't want OB to work... I just don't think it's going to work and I think they should be more honest and tamper the expectations of people who are new to Elektron, but are plunking down cash and take "it'll be ready soon" at face value.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

User avatar
xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:37 pm
Location: Auburn, ME
Contact:

Post by xthrasherx » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:18 pm

Panason wrote:I totally gave up on OB after a few days of frustration with it, and I ain't the only one.

There must be another MIDI controlled stereo analog processor that doesn't cost as much?
Let me know when you find it.

I haven't bothered with OB in a long time (used it briefly with the Rytm) and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Cool concept, but I'm increasingly stepping away from the computer when it comes to music. OB isn't really a selling point for me.
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”