Just got an iPad, now what?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:31 pm

:sb: that's an amazing list thank you for all that. I'm reading about all the suggestions on this thread and will probably buy something after considering them all. Really helpful, thanks again :tu:

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:07 pm

I'll second the "take your time" sentiment. I bought a bunch of apps but never got the ipad integrated into my workflow at all. I've thought about using something like Thumbjam as a midi controller for Eurorack, but the first iConnect I bought wouldn't work and I've never bothered to try again. I would if there was a really compelling sequencer app but I haven't found one. Samplr is pretty cool though.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:43 am

I admit most of my usage of the iPad has been standalone - very little integration with hardware synths or anything.

But that's not the fault of the iPad itself. With the plethora of synth apps, sampling apps, FX apps, DAW apps, etc. one can come up with complete pieces of music within the iPad alone.

The upcoming Keith McMillen K-Mix might change that for me though - as it can act as both audio interface (for the iPad) and mixer for routing audio in and out of the iPad and mixing that with hardware device audio - with greater convenience.

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:48 am

Candycrush?

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:20 pm

DiscoDevil wrote:Candycrush?
I've never played it but I've already downloaded angry birds friends, and it's much better than the tiny screen version I'm used to on the phone.

I just read that back and God I sound pathetic, but it's all true!

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:23 pm

On a serious note, does anyone know if I can use a USB coupler to connect the MS20 controller / USB cable and the iPad charger cable? Or do I really have to fork out for an overpriced "camera kit"? Whatever the reply is, they only cost 50c at the electrical shop so I'll buy one on Saturday and give it a try regardless.

Tronman
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Tronman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:29 pm

Mellotronics M3000 Mellotron sim made with authentic Streetly Electronics Mellotron samples. If it's good enough for King Crimson's live performances, it must be good enough for you.
Streetly Electronics - the one and only authentic Mellotron company: http://www.mellotronics.com/

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 pm

bmot wrote:On a serious note, does anyone know if I can use a USB coupler to connect the MS20 controller / USB cable and the iPad charger cable? Or do I really have to fork out for an overpriced "camera kit"? Whatever the reply is, they only cost 50c at the electrical shop so I'll buy one on Saturday and give it a try regardless.
Good luck with that.

Others have tried alternatives but most end up coughing up the $30 (US) for the USB-Camera connector in the end.

Actually there is a proven alternative but it's going to cost you a lot more - one of those iConnect boxes - they now have their own Lightning connectors.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Peterson makes a tuner app, and you can buy an audio input cable for it from them.

Patterner is pretty great for drum programming. It's very intuitive.

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:07 pm

So I've spent some hours researching this and I can't find a definitive answer to a connection question. Please someone tell me is the following possible with any combination of interfaces and cables?

What I want: iPad running a sequencer app for sending midi to hardware instruments/effects and receiving midi via USB for playing an app.
Routing:
1. iPad midi out -> midi router in - for sending to hardware such as drums and effects
2. USB controller out ->iPad midi in , for playing the iMS20 or other app

Bonus point for: USB keyboard that's not class compliant (MS20 controller mentioned earlier)

Audio is not important, and I don't mind solutions needing a powered USB hub or USB to midi cable. I also have other midi and USB keyboards if needed.

:deadbanana:

raised eyebrows
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raised eyebrows » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:00 pm

bmot wrote:So I've spent some hours researching this and I can't find a definitive answer to a connection question. Please someone tell me is the following possible with any combination of interfaces and cables?

What I want: iPad running a sequencer app for sending midi to hardware instruments/effects and receiving midi via USB for playing an app.
Routing:
1. iPad midi out -> midi router in - for sending to hardware such as drums and effects
2. USB controller out ->iPad midi in , for playing the iMS20 or other app

Bonus point for: USB keyboard that's not class compliant (MS20 controller mentioned earlier)

Audio is not important, and I don't mind solutions needing a powered USB hub or USB to midi cable. I also have other midi and USB keyboards if needed.

:deadbanana:
Most definitely possible. I can do that right now with my current setup (using an Akai EIE - the 16 bit, not 24 bit version). Believe the iconnectmidi can do that handily as well, but haven't used it personally: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iConnMIDI2L

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Now download Veinglory and Korg Gadget and never leave your bed.

bmot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bmot » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Thanks for the tips. I looked at that akai eie but couldn't find any for under 180 euros. So I bought a used iconnect midi 2L instead, 70 euros all in. As predicted, the USB connector didn't work with the MS20 controller, not unexpected. I'm on the hunt for the best sequencer now, for controlling external hardware. Seems like a few options, but I'll decide once the interface arrives.

Neoconkers
Common Wiggler

Useful site for ipad music

Post by Neoconkers » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:13 pm

I've found this site very useful for information on ipad music apps and also notifications on when apps are on sale

http://www.musicappblog.com

Apps worth getting in my opinion are korg gagdet , korg im1 ielectribe , terasynth , figure (which is now free) , audiobus , galileo , magellan , synthmaster player. Diode

Their are also lots of fun free apps like beatwave , igrand, f7 , sampletank and modular which have in ap purchases to extend then . There's also jam synth if you want to midi from a guitar.

Also the apps gone free is pretty useful as occassionally you get music apps but daily it'll let you know when paid apps are on offe for free usually only for a few days.

crawling wind
Veteran Wiggler

Post by crawling wind » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:29 pm

These guys are devoted to iOS:

http://thesoundtestroom.com/

Doug is the best source of info when a new app comes out.

Return to “General Gear”