Futuresonus Parva Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:56 am

Sinamsis wrote:I can't answer specifically, but I do know that any multitimbral synth will work with MPE, you just need 8 identical patches across all voices.
But that is rather a pain to set up.

I don't have an mpe device currently, but the synth is touted to have this feature. The manufacturer is a good guy, and I would recommend contacting him for further info.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:38 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:I can't answer specifically, but I do know that any multitimbral synth will work with MPE, you just need 8 identical patches across all voices.
But that is rather a pain to set up.

I don't have an mpe device currently, but the synth is touted to have this feature. The manufacturer is a good guy, and I would recommend contacting him for further info.
Ha, I know this all too well. I had a Roli Rise for a while. Trying to set it up in a DAW that doesn't support MPE was a huge pain (Ableton in my case). I haven't received my Parva yet, so I'm kind of out of the loop. Is it not easy to copy and paste patches across the voices? I was able to do this in Ableton with my Virus TI pretty easily. But assigning the various parameters to all voices was a HUGE pain. The other thing I would point out is that the Parva has a USB port for controller keyboards which would allow bypassing a computer/DAW all together.

abruzzi
Common Wiggler

Post by abruzzi » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes and no. MPE has a shared channel where controller sent on the shared channel affect all voices, so if you have an 8 voice poly, it actually uses 9 channels. The shared channel is for things you want to affect all voices. So if you have a knob to affect, say, attack, it would send CC down the shared channel, and all voices would read the change. Since most MPE controllers don't seem to have much in the way of global knobs, it's probably not that big a loss, but it is a limitation of using an MPE controller with a non-MPE synth.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:44 pm

I didn't mention how many MIDI channels you need to use. I said you need the same patch across the 8 voices. So yes, that is additional information, but has nothing to do with my statement.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Sinamsis wrote:I didn't mention how many MIDI channels you need to use. I said you need the same patch across the 8 voices. So yes, that is additional information, but has nothing to do with my statement.
isn't it relevant to setting it up, and having the same functionality as having this officially implemented? At least it seemed relevant to me.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:I didn't mention how many MIDI channels you need to use. I said you need the same patch across the 8 voices. So yes, that is additional information, but has nothing to do with my statement.
isn't it relevant to setting it up, and having the same functionality as having this officially implemented? At least it seemed relevant to me.
No, not necessarily. This is something you set up in your routing either in the hardware or a DAW. Also, I can't speak for other MPE controllers, but the Rise is incredibly flexible, so you can route the MIDI however you want for the most part, with few exception.

So my statement was correct as stands. Any multitimbral synth can be used with MPE. It just takes some routing of parameters. I did not mention what you had to do specifically within your controller, or DAW, whatever the case may be, because that's specific to the device you're using.

To be essentially plug and play, it would need to accept 9 channels from a controller, and automatically map the same presets to the 8 voices, and the extra channel would be used as global channel of sorts.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:14 pm

well, you can go through all of that effort. I find that kind of thing to be rather detrimental to my creative process.
Sinamsis wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
No, not necessarily. This is something you set up in your routing either in the hardware or a DAW. Also, I can't speak for other MPE controllers, but the Rise is incredibly flexible, so you can route the MIDI however you want for the most part, with few exception.

So my statement was correct as stands. Any multitimbral synth can be used with MPE. It just takes some routing of parameters. I did not mention what you had to do specifically within your controller, or DAW, whatever the case may be, because that's specific to the device you're using.

To be essentially plug and play, it would need to accept 9 channels from a controller, and automatically map the same presets to the 8 voices, and the extra channel would be used as global channel of sorts.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:well, you can go through all of that effort. I find that kind of thing to be rather detrimental to my creative process.
Sinamsis wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Ha yeah, that's why I sold the Rise. Also I didn't love the feel of the silicone, it tended to bunch up pretty easily. Anyways, I think it would be much easier if you had a DAW that supported MPE, as I ASSUME that it does the work for you. Also, we've put the cart before the horse, as no one has really confirmed how easily it's done with the Parva. It may very well be plug and play, which might be enough to convince me to eventually snag another MPE controller. The new Keith McMillen offering actually has my attention.

cube48
Common Wiggler

Post by cube48 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:41 pm

pulse_divider wrote:
gosh wrote:Anyone using MPE with this synth? I have a roli rise 25 which I'm curious about pairing with a hardware synth...
I'm interested in this as well--- the manual says nothing about using with an MPE device.
Is there an MPE mode? Or would one need to set up a multitimbral patch with the same voice in all 8 slots?
Yes, MPE support is there since one of the latest updates (it's maybe the most recent one). It just has to be enabled in the main menu, assign the channel range, switch to poly mode and you are good to go. Editing parameters affects then all voices at once.

Here's little sound demo I made some time ago.
[video][/video]

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:45 pm

Am I the only one who can't watch youtube videos on the forum lately? Haha, I'm going to have to pull out the old phone to watch this one.

EDIT: Ah, yes I saw that one. Nice. I wasn't sure if you had just routed things to work or if it was essentially plug and play. That's awesome!

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:24 am

so how stable is the instrument today?

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:27 am

droningsphagettimonster wrote:so how stable is the instrument today?
The case is very well made and the 4 rubber feet are very even. It doesn't wobble a bit whether I have it on a table or sitting on a keyboard stand.

The OS has generally been very stable. The worst hiccup has been that due to significant revisions in the functionality, older patches often have the oscillator pitch/transpose down at -59 or something crazy resulting in the patches not sounding or just making popping noises until you dial it back up to 0 (or whatever you want). Brad recently released a utility to correct these parameter glitches so you didn't have to manually edit them all.

Is it complete and bug free? That's not what you asked. IMHO it's close and if Brad ever releases this last main fix (variable attack and waveshape on triangle/sawtooth waves) I'd consider it complete and close to bug free.

abruzzi
Common Wiggler

Post by abruzzi » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:18 am

Channel count wasn't my point, rather that since a non MPE synth doesn't have a global channel,any CC configured to affect all voices won't affect any of them.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:51 pm

abruzzi wrote:
Channel count wasn't my point, rather that since a non MPE synth doesn't have a global channel,any CC configured to affect all voices won't affect any of them.
Ah I misunderstood you then. Apologies. Though again this can be worked around in a DAW. Either way it's a moot point now since we have confirmation that it is MPE compatible and none of this is necessary.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:54 pm

Anyone owners here use the multimode? The docs are rather sparse on it, and I'm a bit confused.

I'm just experimenting to see how it works. It looks like your edits (say, oscillator range, or filter cutoff, etc) apply to the individual patch within the multimode that you've selected (though I'm not clear on this). And it looks like when you ascend back up to patch/save, you are choosing to save the individual patches and the multimode? However, the multimode patch is not being saved at all, so I am apparently missing something.

So as not to bore people, feel free to pm me about this if you want. I have also sent a support email....

EDIT: got it working. Not sure what the issue was.

patrickgregg
1-Post Wiggler

Post by patrickgregg » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm

I run this guy and a blofeld in multimode... It's really great to have so much polyphony in such a small setup.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:07 pm

patrickgregg wrote:I run this guy and a blofeld in multimode... It's really great to have so much polyphony in such a small setup.
you are one of the few here who have more polyphony than posts! That is an honor, I believe. I have long exceeded that threshold.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Some of us can't shut up.... Haha.

So I just got my Parva. I'm having this weird thing going on. When I play a chord it's like the MIDI notes are staggered by a fraction of a second, so it's like a quick single cycle arp instead of a chord... Anyone have that experience?

EDIT: Spontaneously resolved. Really weird. Sounding pretty good so far though!

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:34 pm

Sinamsis wrote:Some of us can't shut up.... Haha.

So I just got my Parva. I'm having this weird thing going on. When I play a chord it's like the MIDI notes are staggered by a fraction of a second, so it's like a quick single cycle arp instead of a chord... Anyone have that experience?

EDIT: Spontaneously resolved. Really weird. Sounding pretty good so far though!
I was hesitating to respond, because I must say that I really love this instrument. it's not flashy at all - there is just something about it - I really like manipulating sequenced sounds on it. I like the interface. i like the sound. I like the attitude of the manufacturer....negative comments about a synth can wind up hurting the company, so they must be carefully considered.

in that general context - I have a strong memory of encountering your issue on this. I have also had another curious one - I only mention this to see if anyone else has encountered it. It actually can be rather cool in a way....

when I have sequenced the instrument somewhat heavily (relatively large number of note events) - I have found that it will continue to play even when the sequencer is stopped (I actually shoved it up my ass to ensure that it stopped playing) - and it just continues. strange....working with the manufacturer on this one.

in any case - i'm so glad I bought this synth. I was very skeptical at first, since I really disliked the demos, but in those demos, I heard something.....

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:49 am

From what I've seen so far there might still be some mild quirkiness to it. But Brad has been amazing (he responded within maybe an hour of emailing him and kept responding until I got my head out of my ass). The presets are rather few and unimpressive. I find this to be the case with most synths. I think everything you need to make some great sounds is there though. It's early for me to tell I guess but I definitely already hear a character to the filter that I really like. The UI seems really well thought out and intuitive. My only complaint is that I had it sitting next to my Push and I already have a little black smudge on the case. I suspect this is more related to the Push than the Parva. I think this synth will make me buy another MPE controller in the future.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:00 pm

I've spent half the day messing around with this thing and I have to say I think I'm love. Workflow is super easy, it's just so logically laid out. It oozes character. The mod matrix is great and there are so many mod sources. I really couldn't ask for more out of a synth, particularly in this price range. I'm still sorting some things out. Right now it seems like audio mod isn't having as drastic an effect on the filter as I'd expect, not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I have yet to really work on any FM patches using the LFO's to modulate the DCO. BPF sounds great, I have yet to dig into the HPF. Over all my first impressions are very positive. I used my ADDAC 221 to sequence the Parva earlier today, ha by no means a work of art, but I definitely see potential there. All in all I'm very pleased.

[video][/video]

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:56 pm

rutabaga40 wrote:Here ya go!

[video][/video]
Dude, how did I miss this? Beautifull.
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

Koryo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koryo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Any new updates?

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:22 am

A new OS is expected soon. I am uncertain what it might contain.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:11 am

So is this still in beta? I saw a review saying they were waiting for fixes...

Return to “General Gear”