Futuresonus Parva Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Futuresonus Parva Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer

Post by MATSmile » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:01 pm

http://futureson.us/blog/

SPECIFICATIONS:

OSCILLATORS
3 Digitally-controlled analog oscillators
Sawtooth, triangle, and PWM waveforms
Tunable +/- 5 octaves
Hard Syncable
Independent level controls

FILTERS
2 configurable state-variable filters
24db or 12db low-pass or high-pass modes
12db bandpass and notch modes
Self-oscillating
Filter FM

ENVELOPES
4 4-stage (ADSR) envelopes
Exponential curves for punchy attack and natural decay
Linear mode also available
Routable to >40 destinations

MODULATION
4 LFOs
Sine, sawtooth, triangle, and square waveforms
Random sample-and-hold
Free-running or key-synced
Routable to >40 destinations

INPUTS / OUTPUTS
Dual 1/4" TS line-level outputs
Stereo 1/4" headphone jack
MIDI input and ouput
USB port for MIDI input and output
USB Master port for direct connection of USB MIDI controllers

DIMENSIONS
10" x 8" x 3.5" (25.4cm x 20.3cm x 8.9cm)

firestarter_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by firestarter_ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:39 pm

That right there is a nifty package even if it does retail right under $1000. Appreciate the design, but does anyone notice the rack-ability of this one?
:moneyburn: :eyes:

kbithecrowing
Common Wiggler

Post by kbithecrowing » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:48 pm

Yessss more polyphony! I really like the design, those little screens are super neat. Filter FM, too! excited to hear what this duder will sound like.

grillo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grillo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:25 pm

whoa am i misreading something or this thing has insane specs?

3 oscs, 2 filters, 4 envs 4 lfos, 8 voices, just :party:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Looks pretty cool with great features/specs but I wasn't particularity impressed with the demos. While they are 'adequate" I think it would be important to put out some that are more impressive and exciting. I'm not slagging the product or the efforts of the people doing the demos, just pointing out that lukewarm demos will probably equal lukewarm sales.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:48 pm

Am I right in thinking that there are actually only two filters across the entire thing, I.e
, there is not one filter per voice?

sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:01 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Am I right in thinking that there are actually only two filters across the entire thing, I.e
, there is not one filter per voice?
That's what I want to know too.

Though I love that every parameter section has its own little screen, so much information so conveniently located.

mateo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mateo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:12 am

Two filters per voice, according to the blog

Manresa
Common Wiggler

Post by Manresa » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:34 am

"Parva is the first analog synthesizer to feature a USB Master port, which allows you to connect any class-compliant USB MIDI keyboard — or other controller — directly, without the need for a computer."

That's a killer feature all by itself. This synth looks (on paper) like a perfect blend between a Pulse 2 and a Propher 08.

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:51 am

Interesting.

From the photo on the blog I'm guessing that it uses two V2164s for the filters, one V2164 for the VCA and pan, a single beefy micro per voice to control the three oscillators. If it is anything like the pseudo-analogue voice structure of something like the Siel Opera 6 then the waveform generation will be analogue but the timing will be tightly controlled by the micro.

Nice.

Neil
Random ramblings :: http://www.njohnson.co.uk
SSI parts and more :: https://www.cesyg.co.uk

eXode
Ultra Wiggler

Post by eXode » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:02 am

Hi,

I've collected most of the questions and answers from gearslutz:

Is that OLED screens?

– Yes, those are OLED screens, one display for each section of the synth (oscillators, envelopes, filters, etc). There's an additional screen for global settings and patch save/recall, and the 'A' and 'B' knobs beside it are rotary encoders that allow you to scroll through the menus and select items.

We've tried to design it so "normal" use of the synth can all be done from the analog knobs without diving into menus, but menus are necessary to organize all of the additional settings and options.

Could you give some more insight to the PWM waveforms? Will this be Square only, or will there be more options? Thanks.

– Each DCO begins with a ramp (saw) wave, which is fed into a triangle wave shaper and a PWM shaper. The PWM duty cycle is voltage controlled, and can be set from the front panel and modulated by any of the modulation sources.

Does the sub 1000$ version features all eight voices?

– Yes: 8-voice poly for <$1000, expandable mono for <$500.

Will there be a keyboard version in the future?

– We're focused on shipping the tabletop module right now, but a keyboard version is a possibility in the future.

Are there modulation sources other than the LFOs and envs? Aftertouch, mod wheel, other MIDI CCs?

– Good question -- I'll have to update the blog post. Yes, external modulation sources such as aftertouch, mod wheel, and other MIDI CCs are supported.

Will it have polyphonic AT support?

– Yes, it will have polyphonic aftertouch support. I've been testing it with a CME XKey over USB, but more testing over "regular" MIDI is still required.

I hope this product won't end up as "usb-only", because din-midi connection always makes things easier.

– It has DIN MIDI in and out, as well as USB MIDI and a USB host.

Are the envelopes loopable like on the Prophet VS for instance?

– No, but it's a feature I'd consider adding, and can be done in firmware.

Can the LFOs sync to MIDI clock?

– Not in the current prototype, but will definitely be there before production

What about sound modification: Ring mod, Cross mod, Overdrive?

– There is Filter FM (via OSC3), but no ring mod or cross mod. The oscillator mixer section and the filters can be overdriven somewhat, but there's no overdrive "effect."

What is the range of the LFO's

– The LFOs have a range of 0.03Hz to 500Hz.

Would it be possible (without hardware changes) to make a split LP and split HP mode, i.e. to have a configuration of the two filters in parallel but with both filters set to either LP or HP?

– The filters are wired in series, but it is possible to make them both LP or both HP. Tuned the same, that would make a 24db filter. Tuned differently ... is possible but probably not useful.

The actual filter options are:
12dB Low
24dB Low
12dB High
24dB High
12dB Bandpass
+ the mostly useless options of two lowpass or highpass filters tuned to different frequencies

Is there any plans for a computer patch editor/librarian?

– Yes, but the initial version will likely have a very simple interface (no fancy graphics).

Will there be a mono and detunable Unison mode?

– You can arrange the voices any way you want -- mono, poly, multi-timbral, unison, multi-timbral unison (stack two different patches), etc.

I think I heard something about a drift/slop parameter, if so, will it be per voice or even per osc?

– The drift/slop parameter will be per voice, but will modulate each osc independently.

Is there any chance of the noise generator being used as a modulation source? I love modulating filter cutoff and/or resonance with a touch of noise.

– The LFOs can sample-and-hold the noise source, then modulate the filters, but the noise source can't be used to modulate the filters directly.

Can the LFOs be configured to behave like on old synths where mostly only one LFO was modulating all the voices?

– There is no hardware restriction preventing this, and it will be trivial to implement once LFO MIDI sync is done.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:50 am

Really interesting project.

Agree the demo's probably do not show the full potential but they are not too bad for all that.

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:31 am

looks cool, just don't like the layout of knobs , doesn't seem playful to me, make it bigger more knobs,like at least have eg knobs for filter and amp etc
2 filters, so twice the knobs please (tweaking both cut offs at the same time or resonance), more hands on, makes it more fun to play
great on paper but looks like more than a expander, than the real synth

jdkee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdkee » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:59 pm

de_raaf wrote:looks cool, just don't like the layout of knobs , doesn't seem playful to me, make it bigger more knobs,like at least have eg knobs for filter and amp etc
2 filters, so twice the knobs please (tweaking both cut offs at the same time or resonance), more hands on, makes it more fun to play
Agreed more knobs. I wish my Ambika had more knobs as well, less menu diving. Although the Ambika's UI is very well designed for the limited amount of knobs.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:48 am

Wow! This looks gorgeous!

I have a Blofeld I'm not making full use of, so fear that potentially this may go the same way ... :hmm:
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

dodecabilly
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dodecabilly » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:09 am

there are some new sound samples. Not my type of sounds, but i think that overall sonic quality is quite good. I like it better than Electron Analog line, based on the demos

https://soundcloud.com/futuresonus

liquid234
Wiggling with Experience

Post by liquid234 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 am

Wow. If this really happens in a reasonable amount of time, it'd be quite a break-thru for modern analog polys.

Of course, more knobs are almost always better. But as it seems like a winner. Sell in kit form for even lower price?

:guinness:

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:01 am

de_raaf wrote:looks cool, just don't like the layout of knobs , doesn't seem playful to me, make it bigger more knobs,like at least have eg knobs for filter and amp etc
Hee hee.....c'mon, please, this thing will have no less than eight voices with 3vco's, 4 EG's, 2 filters, etc., for less than one grand!
I think it's a killer instrument. Reminds me a lot of the original Blofeld.

Daddy likey...... :love:

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:05 am

Fuck, come to think of it, it will cost as much as a Boomstar synth and less than the MS20m!!!! It's gonna kick the asses of many a synth company out there if it's produced and marketed properly! :woah:

n_m
Veteran Wiggler

Post by n_m » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:53 am

dopefiend wrote:It's gonna kick the asses of many a synth company out there if it's produced and marketed properly! :woah:
Indeed it will. Is DSI listening? 8_)

dodecabilly
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dodecabilly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:02 pm

[video][/video]

boboter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boboter » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:29 pm

The features of this sound are amazing for the price. Although I find the sound examples somewhat underwhelming. A little too clean and steril for my taste. But it's definitely a project to keep an eye on.
jogging house ... new album 'chants' out now.

n_m
Veteran Wiggler

Post by n_m » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:39 pm

boboter wrote:A little too clean and steril for my taste.
Oddly, it sounded quite lush to my ears, which was unexpected too. To each his own, I guess.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:44 pm

boboter wrote:Although I find the sound examples somewhat underwhelming. A little too clean and steril for my taste. .
Given that it's essentially a traditional analog polysynth, what else would you expect? I'm already very impressed--can definitely see this as being an '80s DCO polysynth killer.
n_m wrote:Oddly, it sounded quite lush to my ears, which was unexpected too. To each his own, I guess.
definitely... there seems to be some sort of detune per voice feature giving it that nice oberheim-ish sound.

dodecabilly
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dodecabilly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:51 pm

i like the sound and features, but hate the interface. Scrolling trough 40 destinations with one knob is the reason why i sold my Blofeld. On the bright side - this keeps cost down, and it will have software editor...

Return to “General Gear”