BLOFELD, motherfuckers. Any good?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Yes! I went old school MIDI cable and it's all good! :sb:

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Hah yeah I think just last month I made a post when I was rearranging my desk and gear about whether I should bother hooking up the MIDI ports on my Blofeld and MicroBrute. The answers I got were about 50/50 between "just use the USB" and "keep using MIDI", but I put MIDI cables in em anyways along with the USB connections. Haven't had any hiccups with my Blofeld synced over MIDI at all. Ive only used it over USB maybe once in Logic when I first got it to record a track, but it was literally just that MIDI track and like two audio tracks of my modular, so it was probably not enough to cause any problems. I need the USB obviously to use for my editor and library app, but MIDI has always been good enough, no reason to change it now when it comes to playing it in the DAW. If it aint broke, don't fix it!

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Tue May 01, 2018 8:43 pm

have the newer blofeld still have encoder problems after a while?

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Wed May 02, 2018 2:19 am

Never had problems with the encoders, I think mine is 3-4 years old

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed May 02, 2018 5:34 am

No problems here, bought new in 2016. Encoders feel solid and work fine. This synth is crazy value for money.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Wed May 02, 2018 5:38 am

Mine is from 2012, still works fine.

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Wed May 02, 2018 2:50 pm

good to hear, gonna pick one up this summer

bluehotel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bluehotel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:29 am

i played with one for a couple of hours. i still don't know why people don't like them much, i thought the sounds were incredible and the interface was fairly friendly considering there weren't a lot of knobs.

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:17 pm

I think some people just don't like the characteristic metallic sounds a lot of people use it for hehe. Theyre too used to a 'traditional' synth so when they hear a wavetable sweeping and clanging theyre disappointed because they wanted some straight Roland techno or something heh. Thats why I love them. When I first got my MicrowaveXT almost 20 years ago, that thing was such a refreshing and NEW change for me. Sure Ive heard PPG Waves before, I got Kraftwerk and a shitload of Rush records, but in person those things were amazing! I mean you can get away with doing standard square/saw/tri voices with it, but thats not where it shines. That was more of a 'here, in case this is your main synth you can also do this if you really need to' thing.. Kinda the opposite of how the Q/MicroQ were focused on actually being a virtual analog, but those had two miscellaneous wavetables thrown in so you could get a taste of it there too. Still have my Microwave, MicroQ AND I bought a Blofeld last year too because screw it, I can never have enough weird noise going on! It makes a great pair with the weird random wave folded FM stuff I do with my modular.

neontundra
1-Post Wiggler

Post by neontundra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:51 am

analog604 wrote:@Funky40: I hear you about the pain of switching the multi patch by accident. I still do this, so my way of being careful is saving the multi every major change.

I'm in the muti mode for most of a project, and overall it's a good implementation for my use.

That being said, one interface element that could stand to be improved is having to hold down a button and turn a knob to switch between multi instruments.

Another change would be a new config option where the Blofeld 'local' keyboard's focus is always on or can be one button togged to focus and play into the selected multi.
Right now all the other parts local keyboard control need to be turned off, and the one to play on and that is utter kludge in my opinion. : )

hardware stuff
So I had to replace the internal PSU on the keyboard because it was allowing too much noise into the sound path. It came this way, sometimes an 'open box' instrument has probs; but I almost always buy used synths and this was the only one that had a defect.

Since I am allergic to paying someone to replace a wallwart inside a keyboard I did it on my own.
Here are the inside photos of a Blofeld Keyboard:
http://analogaccess.com/pics_pics/gear- ... rd-inside/

-J
@analog604 - Looks like you posted this a few years back, but I just got a Blofeld keyboard and it has some noisy outputs. I'm gathering the noise is coming through the power supply and came across your post.. what power supply did you use as a replacement?

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Bought one on Ebay because FMing a wavetable with another wavetable is a life goal.
Bucket list item crossed off.

Seriously, is this thing still unable to clock to incoming midi?
It's somehow changing tempo along with my Mahinedrum. But still not in time with the arp.
At first I thought it might be my preference for 6/8 and 7/8 time. But then I made a quick 4/4 beat and still...

Anyway, back to FM wavetables.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:55 pm

calaveras wrote:Bought one on Ebay because FMing a wavetable with another wavetable is a life goal.
Have you got any money left? The Novation Peak can do that and a bunch of other things, and sounds better and is knobby ! :hyper:

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:11 pm

Peak has less wavetables, no samples, lower polyphony and all that flabby analog getting in the way.
I mean 17 wavetables, 5 waveforms per? It’s like do you even table bruh?

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:28 pm

calaveras wrote:... do you even table bruh?
I want that on a T-shirt.

Return to “General Gear”