BLOFELD, motherfuckers. Any good?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:43 pm

vdyankov wrote:steinberg ur22 mk2
Ok, that should be fine.

I forgot to ask. This is the Keyboard version of the Blofeld? (I assume so, since you mentioned MIDI Out to MIDI In on the Steinberg.

If so, you should just be able to play some keys, and hear audio out in your software, without having a MIDI connection.

Once that's working you can figure out what's happening on the MIDI side of things.

I'll check out your clip above in a few.

One other thing. Do you have an old USB printer or other such hardware laying around, that might have a USB cable? You could borrow from that, and connect the Blofeld using USB JUST for MIDI. The Steinberg should be fine for just passing audio through to the computer.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:46 pm

vdyankov wrote:https://soundcloud.com/ventsislav-dyankov/blofeld1

so i can trigger something.. like a tempo thru the arp.. and near the end of the recording you can hear this one note that stays..
That one note sounds like the default sound from an init-multi (if I'm not mistaken).

It could be a lot of things still.

We really need to isolate this as much as possible, so removing the MIDI cable would be the first thing I'd try. See if you get the same results just playing locally, and recording audio without a MIDI connection.

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:06 pm

well, yeah i think it is the note from init 1 multi.. and no matter what i do it is locked on it. i played with no midi, still the same, the menu works but from the sound line comes only init 1 metallic note..

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:19 pm

ok. now it works. i was locked in multi mode with some weird settings.. and selecting the sounds was not active somehow. but still there is lag with some of the knobs, and they act weird, ive heard that many people have this issue.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:24 pm

vdyankov wrote:ok. now it works. i was locked in multi mode with some weird settings.. and selecting the sounds was not active somehow. but still there is lag with some of the knobs, and they act weird, ive heard that many people have this issue.
Good to hear (about it working in general now).

I haven't had any issues with the encoders, but they do track fairly slowly in general (though it makes them a bit more precise that way).

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:46 pm

Thank you. I guess it's good to read the full manual before freaking out and going crazy.

And yes, the Blofeld KB is fast and responsive.. only every once in a while, some of the encoders seem stuck or slow, but probably it depends on the sequence and the complex nature of the algorithm. Or maybe i kind of abused this one knob, it stopped to clearly switch physically, but is rather easily rotated, and every small touch is kind of engaging it.. will see, hopefully it will work fine.

The other thing that is bothering me is a small noise coming from the Steinberg when everything is switched off, I don't know where it comes from, like a tiny hiss..

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:25 am

As I recall I have had issues with running midi and USB at the same time.
As for the encoders, they are quite slow compared to other VA's, but they do respond quickly with midi CC.

I think it's best to stay in single mode until you get the grasp of the whole multimode thing, which can be a little tricky.

Also if I were you I would do a factory reset and maybe even install the most recent OS again.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:03 pm

The most recent OS is only for recently manufactured units. If in doubt stay at OS version 1.22.

Sanys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sanys » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Someone should make a hardware controller for Blofeld. The synth is no brained for its price.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:50 pm

Sanys wrote:Someone should make a hardware controller for Blofeld. The synth is no brained for its price.
The cheap option:

https://www.stereoping.com/synth-controller/?lang=en

The expensive option: (€1000)

:eek:

http://midi-design.com/blofeld-midi-controller/

Sanys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sanys » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:54 pm

i'd buy the full featured stereoping version if they do it
that midi design controller is ugly and pricey for no reason
Panason wrote: The cheap option:

https://www.stereoping.com/synth-controller/?lang=en

The expensive option: (€1000)

:eek:

http://midi-design.com/blofeld-midi-controller/

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Yeah I wish stereoping will make a firmware for their bigger controller to work with the Blofeld and other synths. Or just f***ing open up their controllers with a software editor!

The Midi Design thing is absurd for the same reason. If it was programmable and cost half the money (without the silly wooden sides) it would be OK.

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Guys, the button Mix 1 does not work. It works once in 10-15 times.. do you have the same issue?

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Actually it does not work at all, it's been like the 3rd time im powering on the Blofeld since new.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:51 pm

You mean the Shift button?

Return it for a replacement while you can!

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:18 pm

It is actually starting to sound like you got a partially defective unit. I know you figured out the Single/Multi thing, but with all the encoder jumping, and now this button, it sounds like the panel PCB might be a bit goofy. (or possibly worse) I realize that's not a fun thing to deal with when you get a new synth, but better now than when you can't get it replaced later.

As far as a direct answer to your question, no I have none of the issues you've mentioned with encoders or buttons.

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Im talking about the Knob that is labelled Mix1
it is moving really easily compared to the rest and mostly does not engage at all the menu. And the menu also is quite buggy, I noticed that it gets better when I push a bit the Blofeld from the bottom, as it might have been bended by staying too long in a box or by transportation, or the button feels a bit like it has been used before like a lot, the rest feel like brand new.

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 pm

I dont know if they will replace it, it works after all, these things are noticeable after a while.. sometimes it works ok, sometimes it does not work at all..

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:57 pm

i dont know what to do, maybe i should read my rights, i could probably return it but i am not sure what are the options.. since it has to be picked up and travel 500km.

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:31 pm

im afraid the whole card inside is kind of fucked. cause once it works really good and then a lot of things dont work, could be damaged during delivery or faulty.. the thing is i received it on 21.02. and now is 03.03. I dont know if i can send it and get it replaced right away.

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:31 pm

it works perfect at times, really weird.

Wrote to both Waldorf and the company seller, hopefully it will be all good.

Here is a short vid with the common scenario with the knob.

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:50 pm

I havent had much time to play with the Blofeld, but I decided so far to not send it back, since it will take a lot of time and I'm not sure the next one will be better..

I have tried though a few things.. just to learn a bit. And I tested the Arpeggiator.

The thing is, when I manipulate some of the values, some hissing sound appears and the whole sequence is paUSing for a bit as I am changing the values. Mainly happens with Low Pass High pass filters.. like popping, hissing and pausing.. Is this normal, or it's a sign of a fucked up PCB board?

Ive recorded it, in the first part you can hear the hissing and in the second part the pausing and hissing.. So, please advice me, whether this is a valid sign of something really bad going on.

vdyankov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vdyankov » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 pm

similar thing happens when I change other values like Length and others..

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:00 am

Last night I tried controlling the Blofeld from Push 2 & Ableton. I used one of the Max devices that send out MIDI CCs and mapped the Max knobs to macro knobs so I can name them.

When I turn an encoder on Push to sweep the filter while a sequence of simple three-note chords is also sent to the Blofeld, it drops notes unless I sweep slowly... I'm using the USB port to send MIDI to it.

If this isn't fixable I'm getting rid of the Blofeld as it means no parameter automation.

:ripbanana:

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:44 pm

I never use midi over usb, too unreliable, on any gear from my perspective.
Try old school midi cable and see if you replicate the issue

Return to “General Gear”