Tempest vs. RYTM...shoot!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Vootman
Common Wiggler

Tempest vs. RYTM...shoot!

Post by Vootman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:52 pm

All right, I have a tempest....but I'm tempted(!) to buy the Rytm and sell the dsi. Should I? Did you? Or I could keep the tempest and buy a dsi pro 2....I don't know and don't have anyone to turn to...Except my muffs. Definitely not my GF....she could care less, and her eyes glaze over. :deadbanana:

zapp550
i'm prefect, are you?

Post by zapp550 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Tenth post down off the link had a pretty good shoutout between the two

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/83714-elek ... i-tempest/
My new album-
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=2252334289 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]
My musical/visual meanderings
http://soundcloud.com/autumn-drones
http://www.youtube.com/user/analogueboy1

Vootman
Common Wiggler

Post by Vootman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:59 am

zapp550 wrote:Tenth post down off the link had a pretty good shoutout between the two

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/83714-elek ... i-tempest/
Thanks man...'Nuff said!

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:18 am

Never. I have both and will keep both until a newer version of either or something absolutely amazing comes out.

In my opinion:

The Tempest blows the RYTM away in the sound design area. I NEVER use it as a groovebox or sequencer (except just for f'ing around sometimes) - but I use it all the time for work and for making my own sounds.

The RYTM is the absolute quintessential 2010's groovebox. SO MUCH FUN and so easy to use and so great for making Electronica and dance music tunes... or experimental weirdness. BUT, very, very, very limited in sound design.

I know it's a Muffs cliche, but I have to say both.

EDIT: Obviously, the RYTM can technically go further in sound design because you can put your own samples in there, but still... you have a Tempest, you know how much you can truly MELD sample and synth together. In the RYTM, it's just very much like... a synth with a sample layered on top. I rarely get that same magical cohesive sound out of mixing the two like I always do in the Tempest. Plus the Tempest is a real-ass poly-synth w/ Prophet VS waves, too - can't beat that!

Vootman
Common Wiggler

Post by Vootman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:34 am

I think I'm going to be in the both camp.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:45 am

You guys are giving my credit card nightmares, I have one eye a machine drum too.

This is all making me just want to get an Octatrack instead. Infact I ordered a RYTM but cancelled bc I wasn't happy that it didn't have at least an a Env for samples, kind of essential if you really want to blend drums.

For some reason the raw sound of the RYTM has no effect on me either, so I think I might be better sticking to samples.

But then there is the Tempest, but that has it's issues.

I'm so confused I think this is why I'm looking to get an Octatrack and a Machinedrum instead.

Thoughts ?
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

SubliminalSandwich
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SubliminalSandwich » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:42 pm

If I didn't have a tempest I'd be eyeing up the rytm.. but I wouldn't swap now.. I love sound design and expressive performance control.. also I'd have _too_ much elektron.. I prefer a balance of systems, gives a broader range of techniques..

I haven't got bored of the onboard samples yet..

It comes down to the sound you want..

Synthesis or samples..?

Having it their at your fingertips without building sample libraries is a real pleasure..

If you have analogue gear you could get clever and have all you need on the octatrack..

How do you want to work handcrafted?

konnekshen
Common Wiggler

Post by konnekshen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:26 pm

i did not hear the RYTM in real yet,
but
could it be that the Jomox 09/888/999

sound more "rocking" ?
( am not talking about BD weight )

you can do such a lot with the AR but
it's sound in all the YT videos did not
catch me like the Jomox' did.

am i wrong?
can the AR sound as raw and funky as the Jomox does?

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:19 pm

LeFreq wrote:Never. I have both and will keep both until a newer version of either or something absolutely amazing comes out.

In my opinion:

The Tempest blows the RYTM away in the sound design area. I NEVER use it as a groovebox or sequencer (except just for f'ing around sometimes) - but I use it all the time for work and for making my own sounds.

The RYTM is the absolute quintessential 2010's groovebox. SO MUCH FUN and so easy to use and so great for making Electronica and dance music tunes... or experimental weirdness. BUT, very, very, very limited in sound design.

I know it's a Muffs cliche, but I have to say both.
I would say that description is very, very, very exaggerated. :hihi:

If you compare it to a Tempest where each voice is essentially a blank slate that can be a kick or a string pad because of its full synth engine then yeah the Rytm is limited. But if you compare it to a 808-type analog drum, it's rather deep--a drum synth and not just a drum machine that lets you change 2 or 3 parameters. Its limitations are actually really helpful to me in getting patterns banged out quickly rather than doting on the intricacies of each voice.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:00 pm

How do you want to work handcrafted?
Yes this is the question I am constantly fighting with.

Software is much more precise, quicker in some respects, slower in others.

Main objective is to enjoy the process, otherwise..whats the point ?

With that in mind, hardware, but I left hardware because raw analogue can't get you what you want always, but I have kinda come full circle where now I really am starting to understand why people like analogue and particularly some of the more classic, if sometimes cliched equipment, but for good reason.

Before I go into self indulgent wittering mode, this is where I am at.

I'm not trying to make cutting edge experimental music, i'd probably stay in software if that was my goal tbh.

I want to make organic analogue with an orchestral bent, probably my fav group of all time is The Cinematic Orchestra and I'm a bit of a Ninja Tune fanboy if i'm totally honest.

So I want an organic sound probably sampling a lot of analogue gear with a lofi sound, but I want decent quality output, does the Octatrack have that ?
It took me to start using hardware again to remember how harsh digital can be if you are not careful. Plugins that I thought did a superb job, ain't all that, even against some digital effects housed in boxes.

I'm not into super glitched mind expanding abstract sound modelling, but I do like interesting sound textures, that doesn't mean I want to stay away from it completely though. But I like to make music that makes you wiggle your bum at least, that doesn't just mean dance though.

I like simple but strong sounds, that old roland gear supplies mostly for me, love the really old SH series.

I seriously want to get away from my computer, but have previously found that impossible because of the shear cost of decent outboard, mainly the processing gear I'd need.

How do I want to work?

Simply, but not constrained. I'm certainly not afraid to dig into hardware and amazed that most manufacturers make it so intuitive, but I'd rather use a decent 808 kick than cock about with a modern drum machine that just isn't going to give you drums that sound that great. I'd love to get away from 909s and 808s, they are done to death 20 years ago, but untill somebody invents a box that has as much impact on me as those do, I guess I will be stuck with samples.
The only other drum that has really floated my boat is the Vermona Mrk3, but that is only good for certain sound imho.
The raw sound of the Roland machines, however you decide to process them are fantastic foundations that work and still kick the arse of pretty much anything I have heard to date.

At the moment I would like to make music like this, but get experimental with orchestral sounds, I just concerned with the Octatrack the temptation to turn a Cello into some unrecognisable will be too great lol.

http://ninjatune.net/release/moire/shelter
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

SubliminalSandwich
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SubliminalSandwich » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Interesting to hear you talk openly handcrafted..

The tempest does take some effort/time to get sounds your satisfied with.. but it can go in many directions (a quite a few all at the same time) and that's a big bonus for exploration
Rock solid instant knock your face off drums (whether classic Roland or not might be quicker with an octatrack..especially if you like precision over pads..

Octatrack sound quality.. some say its clean but slightly dull.. Ive always been completely satisfied with the outs (even though there ate only 4).. this coming from a mainly mpc perspective..

I'm working on chords again.. and plan to use performances from my prophet triggered from thorough the or so I can play a solo instrument.. the or can do this effortlessly..but their is always the temptation to fuck with it somehow.. :-) the octatrack doesn't need to be glitchy and twisted.. a lot of pure paired back skills are there too..

confusional
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by confusional » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:44 pm

I think the Pro 2 is probably the best drum machine DSI has made so far.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Ok , thanks for the info Subliminal :tu:

Sorry to kind of off topic , in the process of rethinking stuff, buying more equipment than finishing things, always a bad sign :doh:

Yes and then there is the Pro 2 which I am intending to get, which on the face of it has everything you need to make original drums.

The Tempest seems to have a good rep for playability, I starting to think its expressiveness might be a good choice for the sound I'm going for and whether if I get an Octatrack I would be more productive but less happy with what comes out.

sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 pm

confusional wrote:I think the Pro 2 is probably the best drum machine DSI has made so far.
Please explain this statement more in detail. The RYTM and Pro 2 are on my to buy list, but can the Pro 2 really offer convenient drum synthesis or is it a labor of love? Thanks in advance confusional.

BrianAndren
Common Wiggler

Re: Tempest vs. RYTM...shoot!

Post by BrianAndren » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:46 am

Vootman wrote:All right, I have a tempest....but I'm tempted(!) to buy the Rytm and sell the dsi. Should I? Did you? Or I could keep the tempest and buy a dsi pro 2....I don't know and don't have anyone to turn to...Except my muffs. Definitely not my GF....she could care less, and her eyes glaze over. :deadbanana:
I in the same boat. I really like the Tempest but the sequencer isn't geared capable enough to be a drum sequencer. I have my Tempest up for sale but I have a hard number I want to get. I figure if I can get good money for it now I can maybe pick it up again later when it's cheaper.

Pym
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pym » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:50 am

Bias aside, since the Tempest is my baby, I'd wait until the new projects/beats/sounds come out before making a decision. It's basically the next thing on our list and should be coming out by early October

BrianAndren
Common Wiggler

Post by BrianAndren » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:08 am

Pym wrote:Bias aside, since the Tempest is my baby, I'd wait until the new projects/beats/sounds come out before making a decision. It's basically the next thing on our list and should be coming out by early October
Thanks for weighing in Pym. I'll hold on. I don't really want to part with it. I think my real issue is time. When I put the time into the Tempest I really like the sounds I get out of it. Of late I've been having a hard time getting groove out of the box. I don't have the skill to play the sounds in live. When I adjust the delay +/-5 in the sequence editor I don't hear a noticeable enough effect.

SubliminalSandwich
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SubliminalSandwich » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Pym wrote:Bias aside, since the Tempest is my baby, I'd wait until the new projects/beats/sounds come out before making a decision. It's basically the next thing on our list and should be coming out by early October
Looking forward to this.. :-)..

Vootman
Common Wiggler

Post by Vootman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Pym, I haven't got a clear answer on this, can you sequence other sound modules, as in sending notes with the Tempest? If not, Will this be an upcoming feature?

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Vootman wrote:
Pym, I haven't got a clear answer on this, can you sequence other sound modules, as in sending notes with the Tempest? If not, Will this be an upcoming feature?
Monophonic only

Vootman
Common Wiggler

Post by Vootman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:53 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Vootman wrote:
Monophonic only
KooL

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:27 pm

The Tempest broke my heart. Never has so much potential been squandered in a piece of gear. I loved it but I couldn't take the manipulation and letdown anymore.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Parametex
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Parametex » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:19 am

I cannot imagine why DSI does not hire more programmers to get shit DONE?

Vootman
Common Wiggler

Post by Vootman » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:01 am

I'd love to sequence my Jomox AirBass 99 with it. I didn't care for the step sequencer, but the sound is Waaaaay better than the Tempest. If not I'm almost tempted to go back to buying an akai mpc 3000, and just sample stuff, bonus: that sequencer.

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:21 am

I'm using the Analog Four as a four-track (more when you start doing sound locks) drum machine. It sounds great, but the interface is very slow for sound creation. I'm not a fan of encoders on synths pretty much ever, other than for extremely precise adjustments, but you do get there eventually. I love that the sound architecture is a full synthesizer, esp. when they include thoughtful options like auto-bend and so on.

Since the Analog Rhythm actually features "machines," I'm very curious to see how much quicker the workflow can be. But I'm concerned that the designers' idea of what's "needed" for a kick, hi-hat, snare, etc. will be too limited and specific. What was amazing about the Tempest was having a full synth architecture to work with.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Return to “General Gear”