SAM-16 + Minimoog on YouTube

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

SAM-16 + Minimoog on YouTube

Post by syncretism » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:49 am

Nice. There's not a lot of content about SND's sequencer on the web.

[video][/video]

Odd bit with the gloves - perhaps this is that ToneTweakers guy?

mono-poly
Le Cheff

Post by mono-poly » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:59 am

:nana: amazing and perhaps the best sequencer!
I guess it's not Minime123 aka Tonetweakers.
The farad is the captain of my print.

http://www.mono-poly.nl
http://www.noodlebar.org

WTB blue lantern purple vco

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Damn. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be anything that can't be done on any other sequencer. I was hoping for something that really showed off what makes the SAM unique.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:11 pm

That is one of the problems with sequencer demos....that sam-16 demo seems pretty nice, since obviously there is some modulation going on, both of pitch and gate length, but unlike a synth demo for the most part, you'd have to show what the connections are, etc, and how the results are obtained. A good sam-16 demo would probably consist of several parts - showing audio rate stuff, the sequential switching, the various ways of stringing together a/b patterns, and splitting the velocity up etc....and you'd really have to concentrate on a clear visual of what's happening, over the musical value, I think.

I don't know of many good sequencer demos (?) - I know that the Tom has a bunch of Oberkorn demos which demonstrate various features. I do think that John's recent demo of the m569 going rather bonkers is one of the better sequencer demos I've seen.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:44 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:I don't know of many good sequencer demos (?) - I know that the Tom has a bunch of Oberkorn demos which demonstrate various features. I do think that John's recent demo of the m569 going rather bonkers is one of the better sequencer demos I've seen.
Wow, thanks so much for the kind words! :hail: :oops: I was considering not even posting that one because it was so different from what I was originally going for. :roll: Thanks again for watching! 8_)

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Well, it does exactly what a sequencer demo should do - it shows off some of the unique capabilities of the instrument, and does so in a way that did pleasing things to my brain in addition.
JohnLRice wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:I don't know of many good sequencer demos (?) - I know that the Tom has a bunch of Oberkorn demos which demonstrate various features. I do think that John's recent demo of the m569 going rather bonkers is one of the better sequencer demos I've seen.
Wow, thanks so much for the kind words! :hail: :oops: I was considering not even posting that one because it was so different from what I was originally going for. :roll: Thanks again for watching! 8_)

mono-poly
Le Cheff

Post by mono-poly » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:25 pm

The transpose/modulation options are real nice on this one.
The farad is the captain of my print.

http://www.mono-poly.nl
http://www.noodlebar.org

WTB blue lantern purple vco

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:07 pm

The jumps, repeated steps and restarts are nice, as well. I rather think that I didn't give this a fair shake when I had one.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:21 pm

As I recall, there isn't the capability, as on some others, to choose the sequence step by cv or midi - however, it will jump around if you give it certain cv signals to gate it. But it's kind of unpredictable.....

As far as restarts etc, I don't think that it goes beyond other sequencers.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:30 am

Always wanted one, but it's just above my impulse buy price bracket!
Great sequencer.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:49 am

Morley wrote:Always wanted one, but it's just above my impulse buy price bracket!
Great sequencer.
You can exceed it in most respects for far less money by buying multiple sequencers with complementary features. For example - doepfer a-155/a-154 + Oberkorn. If you need the 16 steps on the sequential switching, then add another a-155.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:08 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
Morley wrote:Always wanted one, but it's just above my impulse buy price bracket!
Great sequencer.
You can exceed it in most respects for far less money by buying multiple sequencers with complementary features. For example - doepfer a-155/a-154 + Oberkorn. If you need the 16 steps on the sequential switching, then add another a-155.
I agree basically (although it has some features which nothing else does) BUT the build quality and the fact that it is all there in one unit makes it highly attractive to me.
Also, not having any Doepfer stuff means I would need to buy the rack and PS and then it starts getting similar in price.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:12 am

Morley wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
Great sequencer.
I agree basically (although it has some features which nothing else does) BUT the build quality and the fact that it is all there in one unit makes it highly attractive to me.
Also, not having any Doepfer stuff means I would need to buy the rack and PS and then it starts getting similar in price.
Well, I think you still would come out way under if you got a small case just for the doepfer sequencers, but in general what you say is true. I just know that FUNCTIONALLY, having had a sam-16, I am coming out ahead with this particular combination of sequencers, and when I add (MAPS or KLEE) I'm way, way ahead, and I'm still spending about the same.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:41 am

I say this very easily, of course - I sold my SAM-16, and I MUST excuse it....

It really is perhaps true - if I had to choose ONE analog sequencer, it might be the one. The biggest issues for me are - it is automatically quantized, and all rows are the same length. The modulation mitigates that to some degree, but it's nice to not have that as the starting point.

But that's kind of the thing - there is no perfect hardware sequencer. At least for me.

The Octopus for instance - well, I did stupidly sell it to get a Nemo, which I then found out had some limitations that weren't obvious to me from the literature, etc...but the Octopus, being a midi sequencer doesn't do the uniquely analog stuff - most blatantly audio rate sequencing. You don't always want it, but I'd say that I need to have that as a possibility, which rules out the Octopus as the only sequencer. there is also the issue that I simply never remembered how to do stuff on it that I didn't do all of the time (no display, really), and the manual is not very good for finding specific functionality. A great sequencer nonetheless...

The p3 - goddamn - in terms of total functionality, I don't think that anything comes close - but the interface sucks. I'm hoping that the Cirklon will really make the difference here...

The Schrittmacher - well - this has a really fine interface, and some great features - some that are really unique to it. But again - no audio rate stuff...

The MAPS has cv/gate, but doesn't do audio rate sequencing. And the user interface sucks still - I can't imagine it being my only sequencer.

The Doepfer A155/A154 - extremely powerful, but all rows are the same length, and there is no step modulation. Of course, for the price you can have 2, but you still have the issue of no step modulation. Has sequential switching also, which is a great feature.

Oberkorn - pretty amazing piece, but all rows are the same length, and no sequential switching.

These 2 things are most haves (for me)....

So, all in all, if I HAD to choose, based on sequencers that I've already used - none have all of the features I want - but the SAM-16 would seem to come the closest as a single sequencer. The question then becomes how important that is, if you can come closer with multiple sequencers for less money?

I should be getting my moon modular case/power in about a week, so I'll see how that does. it would seem to me that the sequencer plus the accompanying modules would really be #1 among analog sequencers, but really only if you cheat and call it all 1 sequencer. I'm trying to cheat....we'll see how it is in practice.

I really do love the sam-16 - the question ultimately for me is - if I have other sequencers, is it worth spending the money (even if I find a deal) to get one?

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:36 am

Does "sequential switching" refer to individual outputs per step, as found in the SAM-16? You've used the phrase a few times, but I don't know if I have a grasp on its meaning.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:40 am

syncretism wrote:Does "sequential switching" refer to individual outputs per step, as found in the SAM-16? You've used the phrase a few times, but I don't know if I have a grasp on its meaning.
I've always taken it to mean the capability of sequencing a series of inputs, whether control signals, or audio. Individual outputs per step won't do it all by itself...

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks, Gene. I wish I'd had the capacity at the time to use the SAM as more than a cool, if limited, MIDI sequencer. I think I really sold it short.

minime123
buy/sell/trade

Post by minime123 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:15 pm

"Odd bit with the gloves - perhaps this is that ToneTweakers guy?"

nope, that was an imitator. all my videos are posted on youtube as 123synthland.
mini
that tonetweakers guy :)
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade / Repair
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

xart

Post by xart » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:25 pm

minime123 wrote:
nope, that was an imitator. all my videos are posted on youtube as 123synthland.
mini
that tonetweakers guy :)
Hardly an imitator! This looks like it was taken in the studio ov Sebastian Nissen. :tu:

I know Sebastian was not happy about pix on the web, but I didn't do it. :hihi: Anyway. . .this looks like the rig in the video. . .

Last edited by xart on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

minime123
buy/sell/trade

Post by minime123 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:33 pm

"Hardly an imitator! This looks like it was taken in the studio ov Sebastian Nissen. "

yeah, im sure he just woke up one day and decided to make a vintage synth video wearing gloves like ive been doing for years now. without having seen mine. ok. :)
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- Buy / Sell / Trade / Repair
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Return to “General Gear”