Rotating oscillators patch in BB

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Rotating oscillators patch in BB

Post by Tajnost » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:30 pm

Some of you probably familiar with rotating oscillator function implemented in Korg Mono/Poly, Moog Matriarch, Vermona Perfourmer and probably other synths. Basically in this mode each new note played by keyboard, sequencer or arpeggiator trigger a new VCO in row, one by one, and despite all OSCs play the same "melody" line, each new note could be tweaked and tuned independently.

I'm wondering how to make this kind of patch by means of my BB system. Seems like 4 VCAs needed for each VCO to open them one by one, or maybe it's possible with a kind of switches to switch VCOs before the filter and VCA?

Need your ideas and help on this!

:despair:

/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler

Re: Rotating oscillators patch in BB

Post by /\/\/\/ » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:23 pm

Not sure what you had in mind for the “control” aspect - but the CV.OCD (Midi-to-CV) has a cycle mode that will rotate the 4 CVs / gates.

As for implementing, if you don’t want to use 4 VCFs and VCAs I guess you would want a sequential switch? I don’t have one myself, but it seems like it could be a nice module for what you’re describing, or alternatively, rotating sequences or modulation sources.

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:24 pm

The Endorphins.es Shuttle Control allows you to setup various MIDI to CV outputs (v/oct, gate, velocity, poly aftertouch) per voice. So the MIDI input will rotate the different parameters for voice 1, voice 2, voice 3, etc. Assuming you have enough VCO, filters, VCA, etc for each voice.

I wish my MFB Dominion 1 would do this - it has a paraphonic mode for its 3 VCOs, but it just uses the setting of the first VCO.

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:45 pm

You could absolutely do that with a sequential switch. Four sound sources to the four inputs of a sequential switch, gate/trigger output of your control source to the trig input of the switch. You could change the position of the switch in your signal path depending on the resources you have a available. For example, four vcos into the switch into one filter... or four vcos into four filters into the switch into one vca... etc.

I am not familiar enough with Bugbrand to give advice specific to the modules available in that format however.
De gustibus non est disputandum

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:16 am

Oh, don't start on sequential switches! (I know, I know -- maybe sometime -- even mentioning it gets me thinking...)

But, yeah, that's your route, alongside some form of 1V/Oct CV router as described
- for the Monopoly route you'd only need a global gate because the setup is paraphonic. Hmm, though not quite sure then how you'd deal with filter tracking if you've got the four CV sources - maybe last priority?

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:48 am

Pyrrhix wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:45 pm
You could absolutely do that with a sequential switch. Four sound sources to the four inputs of a sequential switch, gate/trigger output of your control source to the trig input of the switch. You could change the position of the switch in your signal path depending on the resources you have a available. For example, four vcos into the switch into one filter... or four vcos into four filters into the switch into one vca... etc.

Yes, exactly this!

I'm looking at my Active Switches BB module now, it can switch between 2 sources easily, then it has 2 instances of switches so 4 sources in theory, so maybe if I patch 4 sources into it and then patch outputs of each switch into a kind of pan module (which I don't have yet.... ), with a right gate source (I guess, same gate into all switches + gate divided by /2 into the pan module ) it can do the same thing? Or not?

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Good learning experience for me - I’m coming from the MIDI world to CV, rather than the other way around. Good to pick up ways to do things old school, which is more gratifying, and flexible in the end.

Return to “BugBrand Devices”