DRM1X&DRM2

Modular and other sound devices from BugBrand.

Moderators: Kent, BugBrand

User avatar
nikfrisbee
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:58 pm
Location: Up North

DRM1X&DRM2

Post by nikfrisbee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:42 am

Managed to purchase the above and will be contacting Tom for a full 11FW frame shortly; but before I place an order. What would peeps recommend placing in the remaining 1FW slot? Is there a perfect companion?

Best

Nick

User avatar
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs
Posts: 7475
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 am

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by BugBrand » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:20 am

Curious to hear what others think...
Can't remember for sure but might simply have a blank in the studio setup (haven't been playing at all..)
Dual Divide might be useful.

northerntao
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 9:12 pm
Location: Anchorage

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by northerntao » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:23 am

Congrats - jealous of the DRM1x!

I just bought a 2Frame from Tom with a slightly modified Synthvoice (a QSine swapped for a CVCO) and some other goodies.

The QSine might be good for extra modulation and maybe some audio. Or an LPG for filter/VCA. Maybe a PTDelay module, if you’re not planning on getting the red box.

User avatar
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs
Posts: 7475
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 am

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by BugBrand » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:25 am

Thing with processing modules is that the DRM1/2 main outs are 1/4" - there's less scope for modular audio processing on them.
So I'd focus on modulation or clocking sources.

User avatar
Kafgee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:34 pm
Location: Athens

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by Kafgee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:38 pm

Nice one Nick!!!
put a blank blue for reference :)

User avatar
Kafgee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:34 pm
Location: Athens

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by Kafgee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:46 pm

wait is this the lost one/"???
or you found another one because
there is a rumour of a lost drm1 somewhere in a
DHL warehouse

User avatar
nikfrisbee
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:58 pm
Location: Up North

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by nikfrisbee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:57 pm

BugBrand wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:20 am
Curious to hear what others think...
Can't remember for sure but might simply have a blank in the studio setup (haven't been playing at all..)
Dual Divide might be useful.
Luckily Tom, I already have the dual divide - so that’s good to hear and yeah I also had thought about maybe a adaptor jack/banana made out of a blanking plate. But ocd wants full red 11FW row.

However for now I’m actually thinking along the lines of placing x2 ~X modules COF/DRM in a single 11FW. You may remember my funky case set up of 5FW x2 3FW screwed together. :doh: I would be able to purchase the X for the COF and kill two birds with one stone. Maybe move the DDSR up out of my blues 11FW row. I have seen a red face plate DDSR - do you have any left? Or was this a proto?
northerntao wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:23 am
Congrats - jealous of the DRM1x!

I just bought a 2Frame from Tom with a slightly modified Synthvoice (a QSine swapped for a CVCO) and some other goodies.

The QSine might be good for extra modulation and maybe some audio. Or an LPG for filter/VCA. Maybe a PTDelay module, if you’re not planning on getting the red box.
An image of my small Hardware setup for peeps to make suggestions added a diode director were the blank is - I also use expert sleepers ES8/6 combination with bitwig and Nord Modular, however this is really only audio out or internal audio effects processor on the Nord side as it doesn’t have CV out unless I mod it and I could never get the headphone cv work around to work. but can quickly create what ever I want really via software - only limitations is in/outs. https://ibb.co/Cv6Zswg can’t figure out how to get the image imbedded within post - sorry

User avatar
hollunderkurve
Common Wiggler
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:10 pm
Location: NY Woods
Contact:

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by hollunderkurve » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Kafgee wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:38 pm
Nice one Nick!!!
put a blank blue for reference :)
empty blanks blossom creativity :party:

User avatar
nikfrisbee
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:58 pm
Location: Up North

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by nikfrisbee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Kafgee wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:46 pm
wait is this the lost one/"???
or you found another one because
there is a rumour of a lost drm1 somewhere in a
DHL warehouse
No unfortunately the lost one :waah: is still what I can only imagine is stored in a warehouse, similar to the scene in ‘the raiders of the lost ark’.


/\/\/\/
Common Wiggler
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by /\/\/\/ » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:31 pm

RadioMusic seems like a good fit... other than that, maybe Logic / DC Mix / LeSeq / Osc (Sine)

northerntao
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 9:12 pm
Location: Anchorage

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by northerntao » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:30 pm

An image of my small Hardware setup for peeps to make suggestions added a diode director were the blank is - I also use expert sleepers ES8/6 combination with bitwig and Nord Modular, however this is really only audio out or internal audio effects processor on the Nord side as it doesn’t have CV out unless I mod it and I could never get the headphone cv work around to work. but can quickly create what ever I want really via software - only limitations is in/outs. https://ibb.co/Cv6Zswg can’t figure out how to get the image imbedded within post - sorry
Do you run the BugBrand / Serge audio through the ES8 at modular levels? Or do you just use if for audio with the Nord. I have an ES8 gathering dust - I played around with VCVRsck and some modular tools in Ableton, but decided the software / hardware hybrid wasn’t for me. I just mix all my modular in hardware and send the mix out line level to my big mixer

User avatar
nikfrisbee
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:58 pm
Location: Up North

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by nikfrisbee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:44 pm

northerntao wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:30 pm
An image of my small Hardware setup for peeps to make suggestions added a diode director were the blank is - I also use expert sleepers ES8/6 combination with bitwig and Nord Modular, however this is really only audio out or internal audio effects processor on the Nord side as it doesn’t have CV out unless I mod it and I could never get the headphone cv work around to work. but can quickly create what ever I want really via software - only limitations is in/outs. https://ibb.co/Cv6Zswg can’t figure out how to get the image imbedded within post - sorry
Do you run the BugBrand / Serge audio through the ES8 at modular levels? Or do you just use if for audio with the Nord. I have an ES8 gathering dust - I played around with VCVRsck and some modular tools in Ableton, but decided the software / hardware hybrid wasn’t for me. I just mix all my modular in hardware and send the mix out line level to my big mixer

Do you run the BugBrand / Serge audio through the ES8 at modular levels?

Yes - Bug Audio will normally go though Serge Mixers via Serge Adaptor to ES8/ES6 IN. OR
Serge/Bug Audio via the Bug Reds then it will go Straight ES8/6.

Or do you just use if for audio with the Nord

Nord Modular midi editor is PC and the Audio OUT goes eurorack listen IO preamp via ES8(MAC) or Nord/Serge/Bug In any combination back to ES8(MAC)

I played around with VCVRsck and some modular tools in Ableton, but decided the software / hardware hybrid wasn’t for me. I just mix all my modular in hardware and send the mix out line level to my big mixer

I don’t really have fixed setup on the software side apart from ES IN is normally multitrack recorded within Bitwig dry or to be further modulated. Nord Modular normally ends up being an effects unit or Modules I don’t have in hardware that I may need for a certain patch; OSC/Sample and Hold/various LFO, etc. Bitwig grid has similar options available too, pretty flexible but sometimes I can lose track of audio/cv flow if I’m being honest when I try and to be to clever. Usually when sending various different signal back and forth via Nord/4U/Software and back again, but this can lead to happy accidents I find. Perry straight forward if you keep it simple. I found CVRack/Ableton CV tools I little resource hungry and drop them for Bitwig.

northerntao
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 9:12 pm
Location: Anchorage

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by northerntao » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:17 pm

Here, as Tom pointed out, the DRMs output is 1/4 audio. I guess in my mind, racking the reds automagically makes them output at modular output!

User avatar
nikfrisbee
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:58 pm
Location: Up North

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by nikfrisbee » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:22 am

northerntao wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:17 pm
Here, as Tom pointed out, the DRMs output is 1/4 audio. I guess in my mind, racking the reds automagically makes them output audio at the hotter modular audio levels!
OR
Serge/Bug Audio via the Bug Reds then it will go Straight ES8/6.


Agreed Reds 1/4 inch OuT to ES8 IN (minijack) - the beauty of the expert sleepers is that it is designed to take modular and standard audio signals.

northerntao
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 9:12 pm
Location: Anchorage

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by northerntao » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Well I’ll be darned, looks like I managed to acquire a DRM-1X as well, as modules. A little broke now, but I’m probably going to want another frame sooner than I thought.

User avatar
hollunderkurve
Common Wiggler
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:10 pm
Location: NY Woods
Contact:

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by hollunderkurve » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:55 pm

where are you people finding these DRM1s just hanging around....? :despair:

northerntao
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 9:12 pm
Location: Anchorage

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by northerntao » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:01 pm

hollunderkurve wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:55 pm
where are you people finding these DRM1s just hanging around....? :despair:
I’ve been looking for one for a few years, posting in the WTB forum and expressing interest in other forums. It was the first BugBrand device I encountered and instantly wanted one.

I just asked again last night and got a response this morning. Just a bit of luck and persistence.

And I don’t have it yet, but it was offered by a long time wiggler, so I’m confident it will work out.

And I’m getting a bit ahead of myself - just got a 2Frame stuffed with blues that I am still exploring. Told myself I was going to hold off on any more synths for awhile, but i had to snap this up. Maybe another frame next year!

northerntao
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 9:12 pm
Location: Anchorage

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by northerntao » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:16 am

Received the DRM1X today and rotated into the case. In immaculate shape for 6 year old modules. Reading the manual and getting to know it. Love all the outs!

Quick random patching and twiddling, recorded on my phone with crap lighting.

Got an additional 1Frame on the way to house the DRM2 and Radio Music.


User avatar
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: UK

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by lud » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:52 pm

Diode director all the way - they can both take banana trigger ins and that's a groovy little A/B/off switch module to route signals between 2 DRMs. Stupidly sold mine!

User avatar
phisynth
banana nabab
Posts: 1805
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: right above my feet

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by phisynth » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:33 pm

lud wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:52 pm
Diode director all the way
+1 !!

I have one of these next to each of my DRM's and can't live without. Easy to DIY too...

User avatar
dadek
hrrmmm...
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:25 am
Location: SoCal

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by dadek » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:23 am

Is there a specific reason for having two Directors rather than using other modules/cables after to control both?

User avatar
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: UK

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by lud » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:56 am

One is fine to feed two sources - but the DRM 1x has 2 trigger ins, one to fire the filter too

User avatar
Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:52 am
Location: Moscow

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by Tajnost » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:42 am

Amazing to see how fast you get your DRM1 + Xs deals (or even two deals in this case incl. The lost one).
After a few years of hunting I only get one offer, but even that time seller decided to keep it after a few weeks of negotiations.

northerntao
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 9:12 pm
Location: Anchorage

Re: DRM1X&DRM2

Post by northerntao » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm

Just got a new generative sequencer and hooked it up to the new rhythm 1Frame. I spent a couple hours trying to figure out why the Lyra had no sound. Ended up opening it and reseating a cable to fix - grr. Bedtime at that point. Pulsar and Lyra tomorrow. Hopefully something more musical - a little less mod on the Lyra!


Post Reply

Return to “BugBrand Devices”