Desktop & 5U Infernal Noise Machine

Gear, Suggestions and Discussion.

Moderators: Kent, computer controlled, flight

flight
The Plague Bearer

Desktop & 5U Infernal Noise Machine

Post by flight » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:05 pm

This is a placeholder for information and discussion about the desktop INM. The INM-D will have all the features of the INM-E and the INM- Exp (about halfway down the page) in a desktop/portable unit. As with the original INM, it will have a wood enclosure and 1/4" jacks. Please feel free to post any suggestions or comments you may have here. Input on a 5U versionis also welcome.
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

justin3am
Let's go do some crimes

Re: Desktop & 5U Infernal Noise Machine

Post by justin3am » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:01 pm

Oh wow, I didn't realize you were going to do another run of stand alone units. I planned to put my INM-E and expander in their own little skiff case. I definitely want the euro version but may consider the stand alone as well. Will the stand alone version have all the same patch points as the euro version or more like the original? Patch points on the back?
"Thank god for the drugs and drums." El-P
3amNoise | Synth Videos

flight
The Plague Bearer

Re: Desktop & 5U Infernal Noise Machine

Post by flight » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 pm

justin3am wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:01 pm
Oh wow, I didn't realize you were going to do another run of stand alone units. I planned to put my INM-E and expander in their own little skiff case. I definitely want the euro version but may consider the stand alone as well. Will the stand alone version have all the same patch points as the euro version or more like the original? Patch points on the back?
Oh, sorry, it had been asked both on twitter and in the INM-E thread, so I didn't think to mention it anywhere else. As for your questions, that's part of the reason for this thread - to get some feedback and opinions on the enclosure. My plan is everything and the kitchen sink, so everything the INM-E has plus what the expander has, as well as what y'all's feedback might also determine to be a necessity. so the stats to ponder:

Original desktop INM in wood housing
Width: 12.25"
Depth: 6.6"
Height: front: 3.5", rear: 2.06", without feet
Number of 1/4" I/O jacks: 9 total (fc1 CV, fc2 CV, Range CV, Freq CV, VCO CV, VCA1 CV, VCA2 CV, Ext In, Out)
Number of pots: 20
Number of rotary switches: 3
Number of toggle switches: 3

INM-D, based on existing INM-E and in similar style of housing
Width: at least 13.5"
Depth: ? (depends on jacks)
Height: ? (depends on jacks)
Number of 1/4" I/O jacks: 40 total
INM-E
  • VCF1: CV, In, Out
  • VCF2: CV, In, Out
  • IMP: Freq CV, Range CV, Freq Width, Range Width
  • Coarse Joystick: Range In, Range Out,Frequency In, Frequency Out
  • Fine Joystick: Range In, Range Out,Frequency In, Frequency Out
  • VCO Out: Square, Ramp, Saw, Triangle, Sine
  • Imp: Noise Out
  • VCO In: CV, External modulation source, Modulation depth CV
  • VCA1: CV, In, Out
  • VCA2: CV, In, Out
INM-Exp
  • LFO Out: Square, Ramp, Saw, Triangle, Sine
  • LFO In: CV
Number of pots: 22 (add LFO CV level and LFO CV)
Number of rotary switches: 3
Number of toggle switches: 5

To accommodate all 40 jacks in the same housing geometry, with just a 4x10 wall of jacks on the back on roughly 7/8" / 22mm centerline spacing, gives ~5" rear and ~3.5" front height, including feet. Not too bad, dimensionally, but a horrific jack layout from a user standpoint, I'd think. I'd definitely have to weight the box so it doesn't tip backwards from all those cables, at least.

So, the questions:

Are all those jacks necessary/desired from a potential use standpoint for this format?
Is that jack density good or bad?
What kind of accessibility and visibility would users prefer? All on the back? Some on the sides? some or all on the front panel instead (Like extending the top of the front panel by a couple inches and having the patchbay above the controls? Perhaps a breakout cable and box? Side "wing" patchbays that butt up on the left and right of the main unit (and would probably fold over the front panel to protect it during transport)?

And so on, and so on. Any input would be greatly appreciated - I want to make it as usable as possible.
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

Return to “Flight of Harmony”