Moog Joystick XY Controler would someone Clone this ???

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience

Moog Joystick XY Controler would someone Clone this ???

Post by tongebirge » Sun May 12, 2013 4:02 am

I have seen this RA Moog Joystick Controler on the Web.
2 Version were made of this of what I have seen.
I believe this is a verry rar item so I wonder if someone made a Clone ?
It would fit to my System perfect and I think it is not a witchcraft to build a Clone of this to complement a MU Dotcom Style System.
I know old Joysticks are rar parts :cry:
:hmm:

odecahedron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by odecahedron » Sun May 12, 2013 4:15 am

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Sun May 12, 2013 4:31 am

also, if you are diy-inclined...

:foh: f(h) sells barebones kits for the cboices joystick module, which coukd be used as the basis for a 5U functional clone of the moog-sticks, i would think, since it's set up to operate at either 12 or 15 volts. and since the pcb is small enough to fit behind a euro or frac panel, you'd have room enough in 5U to add a couple of extra enhancement functions (such as comparators for the x and y voltages to fire off gate pulses, gate-to-trig converters, dc mixers, etc).

you'll need to design your own own panel if you go this route... i'm not sure how much of the stick assembly comes with the bare-bones pack, if any... you'll probably want to customize the stick handle and knob to look more like vintage :moog: anyways, i'd imagine. :hmm:

:tu: good luck in your quest (and please share pics of what you come up with)!

cheers.
“i'm telling you my dear that it can't happen here because i've been checking it out. i've been checking it out for a couple of days...”

tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tongebirge » Sun May 12, 2013 4:52 am

I had 2 FoH Joysticks with my old Wialeko Euro System.
However I changed my System to MU that because I like it more Vintage Style.
I realized that Controlers are realy helpfull and give much playroom in creating Music.
Unfortunatly i have 2 left hands and do not know much about DIY :cry:

nlaudadio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nlaudadio » Sun May 12, 2013 7:08 am

I will second the AC Arcade recommendation. Wonderfully useful.

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Mon May 13, 2013 9:51 am

boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon May 13, 2013 10:01 am

Boothnavy's module is the best! Get one!
numan7 wrote:also, if you are diy-inclined...

...you'll need to design your own own panel if you go this route... i'm not sure how much of the stick assembly comes with the bare-bones pack, if any... you'll probably want to customize the stick handle and knob to look more like vintage :moog: anyways, i'd imagine. :hmm:
I went this route, but this was not a pretty one to put together -

Dual Choices profile by sduck409, on Flickr
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tongebirge » Mon May 13, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks a lot for all the recomendations but i am real small headed nostalgic man.
I know the FoH has powerfull functions just i am more looking for something that looks like this.
Sorry for the trouble.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Mon May 13, 2013 11:30 am

If you find a vintage one you are going to have to make power adaptor.
I don't understand why you don't find the simplest looking new one and build a wood enclosure.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tongebirge » Mon May 13, 2013 11:47 am

I fear I cant or I would not afford an old Moog Controler.
And I cant do DIY.
I like the puristic look of that old 959 Controler.
No one needs to understand this :hihi:
Getting a halfsize CP panel 2 units and a nice cherrywood or walnut box would make a good Moog Style look.
I would need a Joystick, Circuitboard and and and.

CZ Rider
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CZ Rider » Mon May 13, 2013 12:48 pm

The 959 is an interesting Moog accessory that there is not much information. I would like to see a schematic of both versions, or at least a good close-up of the insides. The two different versions seem to be the original wedge shaped one made for the modular systems with the Cinch three prong power, and variable CV amounts. And the square one with the switchable CV amount. The square version was probably ment to also work with early Minimoogs and Sonic six models.
I inquired about the 959 and sequencer for my Minimoog back in 1974/75. I was surprised the sequencer cost more than the Mini and the 959 was no longer available. The 959 was listed with the model 12 and early Minimoog as an accessory, but not listed in the 1974 model 15/35/55 brochures. So I would guess this was discontinued around 1974.
Read an article somewhere and Bob described the challenge of getting an X/Y controller without any backlash. Would like to see the mechanism inside. I'm almost certain it would not contain any IC's and be just transistors and resistors type circuit.
Here is the wedge shaped version with the variable X/Y attenuators photos I lifted from Ebay and Vemia auctions. Would need a schematic at least to try to clone this. I do have an empty shell from a 1125 with walnut ends that would make a nice Moog like X/Y controller.

russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma » Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 pm

...the granddaddy of all 'foogers.

:guinness:
Russ M.

tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tongebirge » Mon May 13, 2013 12:59 pm

Wowie nice it is hard to get Info about these Units :woah: :woah:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon May 13, 2013 1:21 pm

I would think that controllers would work much better on a horizontal panel instead of a vertical one. It would be pretty easy to make a "skiff" controller to set in front of your 5U rig. There are plenty of shallow Eurorack controllers out there. We (Synthwerks) make a lot of them and they would work fine with a 5U system (compatible gates and CVs). If you made the skiff match the woodwork then you are halfway there. If you want to match front panels I can provide the drawings to do Front Panel Express versions in black.

Adaptor cables are pretty cheap to make too.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tongebirge » Mon May 13, 2013 1:52 pm

James you build awesome Modules do it Dotcom MU style and I think about it :party:

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Mon May 13, 2013 5:05 pm

The guts of a joy stick module are very simple.. Especially one as simple as the moog.. You can use the foh pcb and get an old IBM PC joystick, and whip it all together.

I have a stash of those old joysticks, never got around to using them...

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon May 13, 2013 10:47 pm

with or without spring return

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/category-s/57.htm

mammoth is just a retailer for
http://www.omtertyxn.com/
http://www.omter-tyxn.com/en/

this is one of those things that everyone should try to DIY from the ground up. its not that much harder than wiring a fixed voltage source on a pot. you dont even need opamps. maybe some resistors to get the levels right, some switches to toggle bipolar and your done! lets be honest, I'm cheap. I DIY because I have to. I call it "broke school".

BKehew
Common Wiggler

Post by BKehew » Sat May 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Agreed, not too hard to do. I may have some old info around on one of the versions, will look. The metalwork is the hardest part, maybe the silkscreen. NOT the electronics!

Bryan B
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bryan B » Wed May 29, 2013 12:07 pm

Why isn't there an X/Y touch controller loike the Moog Voyager has? I would love that kind of thing with pressure out too.
doctorvague wrote:I like hiding out at Muff's. Let's build a fort out of some chair cushions and a blanket.
JP wrote:Hell I want to be able to turn my toaster on with a CV trigger.

CZ Rider
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CZ Rider » Wed May 29, 2013 1:36 pm

The x/y/z touchpad came before the Voyager. Bob Moog sold these under the BigBriar name. Had a catalog somewhere with the model listed. Was a stand alone x/y/z touchpad. There were two different versions I have seen.
The earlier one:

And a later one:

I believe these were available up into the 90's, just before the recent modular expolsion.

Found some more pics of the square Moog 959 joystick. Looking at the serial and date on the wedge shaped ones, the wedge must be a newer version. Originally custom made for the CEMS around late 1970.

I would guess these were special order accessories and made upon request. There was the 958 pedal controller, also listed as an accessory for the Minimoog before the newer and more common 1120 pedal. There was a version of that pedal with 2-axis. In the early days Moog had many alternative controllers for musicians. Every Moog system shipped with a linear (ribbon) controller as standard equipment. Somehow Moog got labled as "keyboard" instrument though?

burdij
Veteran Wiggler

Post by burdij » Wed May 29, 2013 1:37 pm

You could slap a walnut case on one of these . . .

A brief instruction sheet describing some of the functions:

GMS-952 Instructions
Knobcon 7 - 2018 Photo Album
While website and store updates are in progress, access the Grove Audio Synth Store
Tesla Science Center http://www.teslasciencecenter.org

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed May 29, 2013 2:14 pm

CZ Rider wrote:
And a later one:
Many years ago I grafted a PAIA joystick onto my first Arp Odyssey to remedy the Odyssey's lack of decent left-hand controllers (I used it for pitch bend & vibrato control). It was a huge step up and really added a lot of expressive control to the synth. Years later, I bought a Korg Z1, which has an X/Y touch pad in addition to a pair of standard pitch & mod wheels. I was impressed with how expressive the touch pad was. Some of these pads have a big advantage over joysticks - they have switches that let you select how the pad reacts when you release your finger. You can set them to either snap back to center, like a spring loaded joystick, or hold the position where you were last touching the pad, like a non-spring loaded joystick. It looks like the later version of the Moog pad has these switches.

Is anyone aware of any current-production X/Y touch pads that have this feature, and that have analog CV inputs & outputs to make them easily compatible with a modular analog synth?

tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tongebirge » Wed May 29, 2013 2:36 pm

These Moog XY Pad Controllers are real cool these are just like Moog made them on the Filtatron App for Ipad.
They are very Musical with all the Controls on Filter / Delay / Envelope / VCO.
Just I still hold on on that Metalic Joistick in wooden case :cry:

CZ Rider
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:04 am

While not a Moog 959, the Octave Catstick is a really nice idea for a joystick controller. I would like to see a clone of this. The advantage here is it's all self contained and can be used with any CV device.
Ths Catstick is a four quadrant joystick with a VCA for each quadrant along with a mixed in adjustable CV. The patching possibilities with this type configuration are almost endless. Any modular modulation source can be routed through the VCA's and there are 2 on-board LFO's if you are short on mod sources. There are several options on the mix and inversion of the applied CV's from the twenty 1/4" sockets on the back. Very nice and well thought out design! Not your typical X/Y joystick.

tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tongebirge » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:55 am

Wow this is nice :hail:
Rar item of course.

Return to “5U Format Modules”