Yet another source of 5U cases

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, lisa, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:52 pm
Location: C-YXD (Edmonton, Canada)

Post by whitewulfe » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:45 pm

CF3 wrote:I really like these cases. They will ship to the US, BUT at a huge cost that makes it ridiculous. Anybody know of a North American alternative to these awesome racks? I've done an exhaustive search online and found nothing... :hmm:
They aren't metal, but they're damn sexy, and he's planning another run by the sound of things:

viewtopic.php?t=53387

Fairly inexpensive shipping to North America too, since they're shipped flat packed!

Yes I'm pimping Chris' cabinets again :P

User avatar
CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3017
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:40 pm
Location: San Francisco

Post by CF3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:24 pm

whitewulfe wrote:
CF3 wrote:I really like these cases. They will ship to the US, BUT at a huge cost that makes it ridiculous. Anybody know of a North American alternative to these awesome racks? I've done an exhaustive search online and found nothing... :hmm:
They aren't metal, but they're damn sexy, and he's planning another run by the sound of things:

viewtopic.php?t=53387

Fairly inexpensive shipping to North America too, since they're shipped flat packed!

Yes I'm pimping Chris' cabinets again :P
Chris' cabinets are indeed cool looking and a good price. :tu: That said, I'm a carpenter...if I wanted a wood cabinet I'd just make one. I'm looking for more of something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110553703572?ss ... 114wt_1398

You can get that case in 10" depth and they'll custom make any depth for a little more(6" or 7" would be ideal).

User avatar
whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:52 pm
Location: C-YXD (Edmonton, Canada)

Post by whitewulfe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:08 pm

CF3 wrote:Chris' cabinets are indeed cool looking and a good price. :tu: That said, I'm a carpenter...if I wanted a wood cabinet I'd just make one. I'm looking for more of something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110553703572?ss ... 114wt_1398

You can get that case in 10" depth and they'll custom make any depth for a little more(6" or 7" would be ideal).
http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/AUE ... heet.shtml

I know it's not 5U (they're 6U), but I believe those are the ones that JLR uses. $150 USD a shot.

Another option could be: http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/RUE ... eet2.shtml

$105 a shot

User avatar
CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3017
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:40 pm
Location: San Francisco

Post by CF3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 pm

whitewulfe wrote:
CF3 wrote:Chris' cabinets are indeed cool looking and a good price. :tu: That said, I'm a carpenter...if I wanted a wood cabinet I'd just make one. I'm looking for more of something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110553703572?ss ... 114wt_1398

You can get that case in 10" depth and they'll custom make any depth for a little more(6" or 7" would be ideal).
http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/AUE ... heet.shtml

I know it's not 5U (they're 6U), but I believe those are the ones that JLR uses. $150 USD a shot.

Another option could be: http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/RUE ... eet2.shtml

$105 a shot
Good Call :yay: :goo: those are some nice ass cases for not that much money. I actually would like a 6 space case so I could do a 1U utility panel(attenuators and whatnot). Plus with the 6 space, I could use it for euro if need be.

User avatar
sam
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:20 am
Location: Sur la route!

Post by sam » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 am

So, same experience as Maqman for me, i ordered 3 racks and received them in France in 2 days. Very well packed too.
Thanks again

Now i wonder where the hell i could buy MOTM rails in Europe.
Buying them @ bridgechamber cost 62$ to ship while the rails are 50$...

User avatar
EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1878
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:48 am
Location: NY Metro area

Post by EMwhite » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 am

Yes, the eBay guy does good work; in fact he was the shop behind the Taurus road cases that Moog sells.

I was going to approach him for something custom for my pedalboard (wheels, handle, large enough for the main board + cables), he's very accomidating and close to my home.

If there is anything specific that we'd like to get together on, I'd be more than happy to work with them directly, considering all of the options available for something affordable.

Personally, I don't have any travel / roadcase style requirements but they are nice looking and I'm sure he'll be willing to affix MU sized rails vs. normal 19" rack rails that would normally require one of the 8 space adapters.

If we wanted 2u of normal rack plus 8 spaces or 10 spaces of MU that might be feasible.

Let me know if interested. I was never crazy about using a standard 19" rack and then putting in the adapter for another $40-$50 but that may be useful for some.

User avatar
magman
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Liverpool, UK

Post by magman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:50 am

sam wrote:So, same experience as Maqman for me, i ordered 3 racks and received them in France in 2 days. Very well packed too.
Thanks again
Glad to hear another positive outcome. I've just ordered another pair of cases myself, along with a 6U to house some Formant modules I'm building. They've just dropped me an email to say that they have already shipped them out, 3 hours from order to shipping is excellent.
sam wrote:Now i wonder where the hell i could buy MOTM rails in Europe.
Buying them @ bridgechamber cost 62$ to ship while the rails are 50$...
I'm actually in conversation with Mike from this firm to see if he can make some rails for me, though I'll probably go for M4 screws rather than the UNC screws that the MOTM rails specify. We've also chatted about a similar case with a built in rails in the top and bottom panels, though this will need differnet panels for MOTM and .Com. I'll let you know how I get on with them.

Regards

Magman

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:48 am

whitewulfe wrote:
CF3 wrote:Chris' cabinets are indeed cool looking and a good price. :tu: That said, I'm a carpenter...if I wanted a wood cabinet I'd just make one. I'm looking for more of something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110553703572?ss ... 114wt_1398

You can get that case in 10" depth and they'll custom make any depth for a little more(6" or 7" would be ideal).
http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/AUE ... heet.shtml

I know it's not 5U (they're

6U), but I believe those are the ones that JLR uses. $150 USD a shot.

Another option could be: http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/RUE ... eet2.shtml

$105 a shot
I actually use the non-shock style you listed second! :tu:

User avatar
sam
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:20 am
Location: Sur la route!

Post by sam » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:50 am

I'll let you know how I get on with them.
Cool, if he can sell them i'm in.

User avatar
whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:52 pm
Location: C-YXD (Edmonton, Canada)

Post by whitewulfe » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:05 pm

JohnLRice wrote:I actually use the non-shock style you listed second! :tu:
Ah, my bad, honestly couldn't remember which one you did... I just wish they shipped to Canada!

velocity
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Post by velocity » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:43 am

Very nice indeed... I've been through a lot of grief with cases, including a total train wreck of a custom case made by a 'specialist'. It cost a fortune and is now in my garden awaiting a trip to the dump when I can be bothered!

I'm still debating how to rehouse my system later in the year and this look like a good place to start. Thanks for the heads up.

User avatar
EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1878
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:48 am
Location: NY Metro area

Post by EMwhite » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:52 am

Question fo JLR: do you use the synth.com rack mount adapters in the cases or do you have an alternate supplier (or just build some rails yourself by stretching some hardwood across the rack from left to right?)

Looks like a very good solution; stackable, heavy duty and if you want to move gear around you can close them up without any worries.

Thanks.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:46 pm

EMwhite wrote:Question fo JLR: do you use the synth.com rack mount adapters in the cases or do you have an alternate supplier (or just build some rails yourself by stretching some hardwood across the rack from left to right?)

Looks like a very good solution; stackable, heavy duty and if you want to move gear around you can close them up without any worries.

Thanks.
Yes, I use the Synthesizer.com frames for the MU sized modules and Synth Tech rails for the MOTM/Modcan B modules. :tu:

But it would be ralatively easy and much cheaper to just bolt strips of hardwood across to use as rails if you prefer.

User avatar
komyta
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1148
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: France

Post by komyta » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:18 am

Hello gentlemen, here's my first post on this wonderful 5U subforum. :oops:

I'm glad to tell you that I, from now, am entering 5U land (more precisely, MU) ! :hyper:
sam wrote:
I'll let you know how I get on with them.
Cool, if he can sell them i'm in.
I'm interested too.
The 5U cases from this company do look pretty good ; I was just wondering if they could be less deep, maybe 20cm instead of 30cm.
Would that be deep enough to cover all our MU needs ?
Am I alone to crave for shallow cases ? :despair:

User avatar
bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret
Posts: 5842
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Post by bwhittington » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:29 am

komyta wrote:I'm interested too.
The 5U cases from this company do look pretty good ; I was just wondering if they could be less deep, maybe 20cm instead of 30cm.
Would that be deep enough to cover all our MU needs ?
Am I alone to crave for shallow cases ? :despair:
20cm would actually still be quite deep for MU modules. Many/most would fit in 10cm enclosures (excluding Mos-Lab and some STG and Oakley). 20cm is a good size in a practical sense, though, since you want the cases to have a bit of heft given the force of patching big, manly 1/4" cables. 8_)

Cheers,
Brian
Last edited by bwhittington on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 am

bwhittington wrote:
komyta wrote:I'm interested too.
The 5U cases from this company do look pretty good ; I was just wondering if they could be less deep, maybe 20cm instead of 30cm.
Would that be deep enough to cover all our MU needs ?
Am I alone to crave for shallow cases ? :despair:
20cm would actually still be quite deep for MU modules. Many/most would fit in 10cm enclosures (excluding Mos-Lab and some STG and Oakley). 20cm is a good size in a practical sense, though, since you want the cases to have a bit of heft given the force of patching big, many 1/4" cables. 8_)

Cheers,
Brian
And deeper cases stack up much better when you enevitably add all the extra cases you never thought you would! :hyper:

User avatar
komyta
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1148
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: France

Post by komyta » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm

bwhittington wrote: 20cm is a good size in a practical sense, though, since you want the cases to have a bit of heft given the force of patching big, manly 1/4" cables. 8_)
That's exactly why I proposed 20cm. :tu:
JohnLRice wrote:And deeper cases stack up much better when you enevitably add all the extra cases you never thought you would! :hyper:
I'm already planning to stack more cases than I initially planned to stack. :lol:

jaidee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:15 am

Post by jaidee » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:29 am

Magman - any word back from the All Metal guy about the possibility of him supplying 5U friendly rack rails?

Do you know whether he is manufacturing these cases or importing them from somewhere in the Far East?

User avatar
magman
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Liverpool, UK

Post by magman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:50 am

jaidee wrote:Magman - any word back from the All Metal guy about the possibility of him supplying 5U friendly rack rails?

Do you know whether he is manufacturing these cases or importing them from somewhere in the Far East?
I've not had a chance to get back to him yet about the rack rails, I've been to busy building bits to take with me to the Leeds synth meet this coming weekend. I will definately be working on it next week though, as I need 2 pairs of rails now and another 8 pairs in the coming months.

I believe these are manufactured in the UK. When talking to Mike recently, we were reminiscing about an electronics firm I used to work for and he used to supply. Also, the speed that they turned my initial request around would also point to local manufacture.

All the best

Magman

User avatar
bloke_zero
Common Wiggler
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:25 am
Location: London, UK

Post by bloke_zero » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:59 am

A uk source of the MOTM rails would be really cool - finding random pairs for sale in the EU or paying the $100 to get a pair shipped from the US is painful!

User avatar
komyta
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1148
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: France

Post by komyta » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:13 am

magman wrote:I believe these are manufactured in the UK. When talking to Mike recently, we were reminiscing about an electronics firm I used to work for and he used to supply. Also, the speed that they turned my initial request around would also point to local manufacture.
I tend to prefer that too. Let us go as local as possible ! :guinness:

Magman, Would you be interested by some 20cm deep cases instead of 30cm ?
As you bought some 30cm already, maybe you'd choose to keep the same dimensions for all your cases ?
The 20cm depth is much more appealling to me. :hide:
I suppose that All Metal Parts would be willing to make and sell some if there is enough interest... :despair: ...Please tell me if I'm asking too much here.
If it's possible then I would take two. Anybody else ?

User avatar
werock
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 872
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:38 am
Location: London
Contact:

Post by werock » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 am

I'd definitely be in for 4 sets of rails, probably not cases though. I don't expect magman to organise a buy for everyone, just to declare an intent to buy if it helps convince them to make some rails.

User avatar
magman
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Liverpool, UK

Post by magman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:53 am

komyta wrote:Magman, Would you be interested by some 20cm deep cases instead of 30cm ?
As you bought some 30cm already, maybe you'd choose to keep the same dimensions for all your cases ?
The 20cm depth is much more appealling to me.
I was initially tempted to go the route of a 20cm case depth, but I am also building some Elektor Formant modules into matching 6U cases (already got the first case) and these need the 30cm depth. It hence makes sense for me to keep the same depth so I can stack the cases together.

If you would prefer a 20cm depth case, then ask them. After all, I only got the 5U case in the first instance by asking them.

Regards

Magman

User avatar
komyta
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1148
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: France

Post by komyta » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:32 am

magman wrote:If you would prefer a 20cm depth case, then ask them. After all, I only got the 5U case in the first instance by asking them.
All right, that's what I'm going to do.

If other 5U people are interested by 5U high and 20cm deep All Metal Parts cases, please tell me.
The more buyers there will be, the more we shall have a chance to get a positive answer from the maker. :hihi:

jaidee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:15 am

Post by jaidee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:46 am

If All Metal are able to supply MOTM-type rack rails I'll definitely purchase at least two racks. I'd be interested in either 30cm or 20cm deep.

I think Magman's thought of an M4 thread on the rails is a good idea, at least for those of us in metric-land.

For the time being rather than bombarding the All Metal guy with yet another query, I'll watch this thread and see if those already in contact with him post any updates!

Post Reply

Return to “5U Format Modules”