Pony-Tails and Moog (MU/5U) modulars

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Do you have a pony-tail and a Moog (MU/5U) format modular synth?

Yes - of course
14%
No, just a pony-tail
4%
No, just a Moog (or MU or 5U) format synth
61%
Neither
21%

Total votes: 109

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Pony-Tails and Moog (MU/5U) modulars

Post by steffengrondahl » Sat May 23, 2020 4:17 pm

For some reason Moog format modulars (inclusive any manifestation of MU or 5U) is associated with Pony-Tails. But is it true?

I like to cast doubt into this myth, that most of us with Moog format modulars (inclusive dotcom/Moon/COTK/Synth-Werk/Mos-Lab/etc MU format and MOTM/Oakley/Modcan B format) have a pony-tail.

Could the association originate from famous users (musicians) of the Moog format synthesizers having a pony-tail? Hmm let me think ...
Wendy (Walter) Carlos ... nope
Keith Emerson ... nope
Florian Fricke ... nope
Isao Tomita ... nope
Chris Franke ... nope
Klaus Schulze ... nope
Eberhard Schoener ... nope
Martin Gore ... nope
Steve Roach ... nope
Hans Zimmer ... nope
Mark Shreeve ... nope
:despair:

So if true, it must be you or some other famous guys I forgot ;)

Let the truth reveil ...

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Pony-Tails and Moog (MU/5U) modulars

Post by Flareless » Sat May 23, 2020 5:44 pm

I used to have a pony tail back in the '90s but I cut it off in '99 because it would always get tangled up when I'd skydive.

I kept it short for many years but around late '16 I started growing it. By November of last year I realized it made me look old, it was a pain to keep compared to short hair and it always made me feel like bugs were tickling my neck.

So I cut it off.

Now I can't get a hair cut :bang:

So I had a pony tail when I got into MU but have since cut it off. There's no option for that in the poll so I didn't vote.

Oh and by the way.... with or without the pony tail I still kinda suck at keyboards so.... no magical power in the hair :hihi:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Afro pre-1999. December 1999 shaved it all off. Still keep it shaved. No barbershop, no problem. lol

hsosdrum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Sun May 24, 2020 1:19 am

I've had a ponytail since 1989; I've had my Moog-format synth since 2017. Does this mean that if I cut off my ponytail, my synthesizer will disappear? :hmm:

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Sun May 24, 2020 5:46 am

hsosdrum wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:19 am
I've had a ponytail since 1989; I've had my Moog-format synth since 2017. Does this mean that if I cut off my ponytail, my synthesizer will disappear? :hmm:
I wouldn't dare to test.

:hihi:

I looked up my photos for the last 9 year, to find out if I had a correlation between degree of pony-tail and MU modular. Here is my findings:
  • In the summer 2010, I had short hair. Very short.
  • In autumn 2011 I bought two 22 space cabinets with modules from dotcom. Probably still short hair.
  • It seems like I let my hair grew during 2012. In summer 2012 it was long, but no pony-tail. At this time I've expanded my modular with a 44 space slanted cabinet. However 22 space was empty. So "just" 66 space filled with modules.
  • Spring 2013: Finally I got the pony-tail. Later that year I purchased a third 22 space cabinet, thus 110 space in total.
  • During 2013-2015 my pony-tail grew and I managed to fill my all my empty spaces, reaching 110 space in spring 2015. It seem like "the more pony-tail the bigger MU modular" rule applied :mrgreen:
  • Autumn 2016: I lost my pony-tail, but not my mu modular :hmm:
  • In summer 2018 I bought a fourth 22 space cabinet from dotcom :zombie: And filled it very fast. I even got a box 4 a little later, so a total of 136 spaces filled with modules
  • In summer/autumn 2019 I decided to downsize my system, selling the Box 44 and a 22 space cabinet, back to "just" 110 spaces.
  • Right now I'm planning to get a 8 space rack case from the Moon, so I will be up at 118 filled spaces. Should I let my hair grow a little during the summer?

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Sun May 24, 2020 7:02 am

I’ve never had a pony-tail.

I like you question on famous pony-tail large format modular performers. I can’t think of any with pony-tails either...

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 am

DrReverendSeance wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:02 am
I like you question on famous pony-tail large format modular performers. I can’t think of any with pony-tails either...
It's one of those mysterious falsehoods that has become part of common culture.

It's like the phrase "Beam Me Up Scotty". Most people believe that's the way it is but in fact it's not.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Sun May 24, 2020 7:21 am

I know Ian Boddy has a pony-tail, but I'm not sure he has a MU modular. He seems to have eurorack and Roland system 100M. He has played with Mark Shreeve in ARC and Mark has a Moog modular (believe it is a system 3). So if that counts ... And with all respect, Ian Boddy is not a known or influential as most of the performers on the list.

I'm missing Jean-Michel Jarre on the list. He has a Moog 55. Mentioned first on Zoolook. My impression is, that it is very seldom used in his music. And of course Jarre hasn't a pony-tail either.

HowDoIKnow
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HowDoIKnow » Mon May 25, 2020 3:06 am

Would very long hair not in a pony count? Not that I have that (even in lock-down) but plenty of the MU luminaries did.

hdik
Berlin School Sequencer Addict
My MU

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Thu May 28, 2020 11:27 am

I didn't know anyone took the ponytail thing seriously. It is just a long-running joke, often (playfully) stereotyping 5U users as middle aged white dudes, possibly stuck in the 70's, possibly jamming their prog rock. And possibly having a sequined cape hanging in the back of their closet.

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Thu May 28, 2020 11:33 am

But:

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Thu May 28, 2020 11:34 am

And:

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 pm

Bad angle, but the ponytail is there . . . ;) :sb:

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Fri May 29, 2020 2:30 pm

>> stereotyping 5U users as middle aged white dudes, possibly stuck in the 70's, possibly jamming their prog rock. And possibly having a sequined cape hanging in the back of their closet.

That hits the nail on the head!

My hair has always been baby-fine thin, but I had a ponytail thru much of the 70's - but alas no photos. Damn.

IMHO, This is a great subject with the best of humor intended - at least by me. I even sent my image to Wendy Carlos and she got a kick out of it.
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

bandwidth
Common Wiggler

Post by bandwidth » Fri May 29, 2020 3:09 pm

Not a planned thing, it just happened. I'm retired and don't have a "corporate image" to maintain, and I started building my 5U system five years ago. Both the ponytail and the 5U system amuse the heck out of me.

hsosdrum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Fri May 29, 2020 7:33 pm

dslocum wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:30 pm
IMHO, This is a great subject with the best of humor intended - at least by me. I even sent my image to Wendy Carlos and she got a kick out of it.
You heard back from her??? :yay: On her website she's been incommunicado for around 10 years. Did she say anything worth repeating here?

Rob_C
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Rob_C » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:36 pm

hsosdrum wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:33 pm
dslocum wrote:
You heard back from her??? :yay: On her website she's been incommunicado for around 10 years. Did she say anything worth repeating here?
BUMP!!

You could comment on how you became acquainted with her, or something of that type, even if you don't want to quote her reply.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:50 am

blw wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 pm
Ian may have a pony tail but Mark doesn't. And unlike Mark, Ian isn't that much of a 5U guy. He's a Serge, 100M, and Eurorack user.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:00 pm

hsosdrum wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:19 am
No it just means one or the other. ;)

davebr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by davebr » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:55 pm

I just couldn't resist. I will say I've never seen anyone with a ponytail play a Moog. I would expect that of some other unnamed format. I haven't had a ponytail since college when I couldn't afford a haircut, and that was 46 years ago. However, after trimming my beard for 34 years in the workplace, I decided to see how long I could grow it. It's now down nearly to my waist. While not a ponytail, I can split it, wrap it around my neck, and tie it in a ponytail in the back. Does that count?

Jim the Oldbie
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Back in '75, I had a PAIA and an afro. Life was good.

CZ Rider
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:35 am

davebr wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:55 pm
I will say I've never seen anyone with a ponytail play a Moog.
Pony tail, 69 Moog, properly patched, and 88 keys. My favorite place to be.
:bananaguitar: Image

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:33 pm

My hair is longer than it has been since I was in high school, and right now it is somewhere between Franz Liszt and Rick Wakeman in the early to mid-1970s (That's Wakeman in the 70s - Liszt would be in the 50s (1850s) ;) ) If I go much longer without a haircut, I will need a ponytail!

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:27 pm

blw wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:27 am
And possibly having a sequined cape hanging in the back of their closet.
I mean, who doesn't?

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:19 pm

Rob_C wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:36 pm
hsosdrum wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:33 pm
dslocum wrote:
BUMP!!

You could comment on how you became acquainted with her, or something of that type, even if you don't want to quote her reply.
I didn't want to start a running WC slam-fest in the forum, but answered a couple PMs. So on further thought, I'll post one of my PM replies - as I feel it's quite respectful of Wendy and her privacy - and the others mentioned of course.

--------

Wendy & I were introduced a few years ago at a little soiree after the AES show in NYC at Laurie Spiegel's place. Quite the honor to be invited. Larry Fast did the intro. Among those there were Michelle Moog, Marc Doty, Richard Factor (Eventide Clockworks), Craig Anderton and Wendy's SO - among others I can't recall.

We sent out for Thai food and had a great night. Wendy & I sat privately in a corner and chatted about all sorts of stuff, including the first time I met Bob for about 45 minutes. She's actually pretty cool - though VERY private. We really hit it off.

Since then we've been in occasional email contact. Quite the sense of humor. She was most impressed with my Voder project and offered several kudos along the way for which I'm most appreciative.

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :party:
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

Return to “5U Format Modules”