STG Soundlabs Oscillator

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

STG Soundlabs Oscillator

Post by suitandtieguy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:03 am

Hey guys. Most of you know me, most by voice, many are my friends.

Last year I put everything into a new power supply design, and before that was done gave even more of myself to make a VCO happen in time for NAMM.

it was ambitious. i wanted to combine a completely modern analogue VCO core which didn't need HF compensation with a digital tuning system to allow for octave and semitone controls on potentiometers instead of rotary switches, and an integrated drift generator to model the behaviour we imagine the devices of our past actually having.

here is the fruit. it is currently working:

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

this is what the layout will look like in Moog format. it will be done at the same time as the final eurorack version:

just like Digital Attenuators, this is an STG Soundlabs specification and a WMD engineering job. you guys know this is going to work.

Those of you who trust me, who know i will deliver this, take a look at this link. I think it is going to be about 295 USD retail when all is said and done, and if you're willing to wait with me, you can have as many as you want for 245 USD per:

http://stgsoundlabs.com/products/vco_mu.htm
http://suitandtieguy.com
http://stgsoundlabs.com
suboptimal wrote:... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:01 am

Nice to see these coming to 5U! Really enjoyed the dive bomber tuning of the second vid. Seems like a fun choice for a 1mu vco.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:21 pm

always great to have new osc..! and 1u !
great work!

the spread does sound very good.. moreso than other osc..?
does the 'modulation' mod the pwm or the 'spread'?
shame you cant have both.. or switch.?.:)

as with a lot here I would like to hear them A/B with other osc and no effects..
:tu:

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Yeah I am looking forward to some comparisons to other OSC. I like the idea of the drift. I might just "invest" in it anyway. Of course that will push me to needing another cabinet now that I will be filling in the rest of my current open spaces with a STG Time Suite. But that's ok, more fun to be had.

jupiter8
Wiggling with Experience

Re: STG Soundlabs Oscillator

Post by jupiter8 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:29 pm

suitandtieguy wrote:this is what the layout will look like in Moog format. it will be done at the same time as the final eurorack version:
And by that time you have corrected the typo on the panel, right?

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:54 pm

jupiter8 wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:this is what the layout will look like in Moog format. it will be done at the same time as the final eurorack version:
A new word.. I quite like it.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:59 pm

jupiter8 wrote:
:doh: Man, I had to stare at that for a long time and research a couple words just to figure out this "mystery"! :roll:

From https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... misspelled

to synchronize: Oxford British spelling (and likely American spelling too)
to synchronise: non-Oxford British spelling
to syncronize: computing or proscribed alternative of synchronize
to syncronise: misspelling of synchronise

Anyways, module looks and sounds great, Suit! :tu:

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:40 am

well i guess your first reaction to the most advanced analogue VCO in Moog format can be "I don't like how he spells hard sync" :guinness:
http://suitandtieguy.com
http://stgsoundlabs.com
suboptimal wrote:... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:48 am

I may get a few of these too. I have two of the Euro versions on order but this will be a great addition to the 5U.

The “spread” and “modulation” doesn’t affect PWM. Suit & Tie Guy offers the pulse divider module which will be a good way to do that along with the Wave Folder module. Combining all STG modules is going to be a lot of fun.

The sub-oscillator and sync function is another unique aspect of the design which I’m curious to explore.
:stg: :stg: :stg:

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:50 am

Looking forward to this!
Trying to build up my 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

Conjure
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Conjure » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:12 am

Awesome

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Sounds and looks really great :tu: Now you can get a full synthesizer (VCO, VCF, VCA, EG, mixer and sequencer and more) from :stg: :nana:

A few questions:
Is control input 1 V/oct?
Is modulation input exponential FM?
Is syncronise hard sync? (Edit: Answer above, it is hard sync)

I suppose the Pulse Matrix is the perfect companion module if you want PWM.

kcd06
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kcd06 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:22 pm

"I don't like how he spells hard sync"
Theres a lot in life for which one might recieve criticsm*, and this is likely the sort that can be readily accommodated/sent to committee for evaluation and response. Also, two of these could fit nicely in the space currently occupied by a FSFX Braids osc....

*yes, this was deliberate

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:02 pm

I'll take one (for now)... monies sent.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Synth Con Meo wrote:Yeah I am looking forward to some comparisons to other OSC. I like the idea of the drift. I might just "invest" in it anyway. Of course that will push me to needing another cabinet now that I will be filling in the rest of my current open spaces with a STG Time Suite. But that's ok, more fun to be had.
I'm with you on the new cabinet. My STG stuff has ballooned to the point that it will not fit into a single cab anymore.

I think I might try to section the sequencer stuff in one and the sound modules into another. I want to hear a VCO, Wavefolder, EG's, Digital Attenuators, Mixer, filters (PL-LPF and Sea Devils), Gate Delay and (soon) a Pulse Matrix working on a few sounds.

Eric is giving us a complete synth voice finally after all these years and it is done in epic fashion.

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:18 pm

It's good to see Suit & Tie Guy has been busy making progress in a musical way towards the ultimate "Radiophonic" setup. The new VCO is a final cherry on the sundae.

Back-In-The-Day (over a decade ago) there was this 5U treat without an oscillator. This system has come a long way since then. Thank you STG Soundlabs!

[video][/video]

Learning to Wiggle

Post by 50050500 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:44 pm

Any further (bowel) movement on this intriguing, refreshingly minimalist device? First person accounts? Moar soundz?

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:37 am

suitandtieguy wrote:Hey guys. Most of you know me, most by voice, many are my friends.
I spoke to S&TG once, for twenty minutes, after he repaired my Mankato filter (for free). As far as I am concerned, he and I are bonded by blood, in this life and the next.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 am

The demos sound great!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

modmax69
Common Wiggler

Post by modmax69 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:28 pm

I just ordered a couple, really like the sounds on the demos

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:31 pm

modmax69 wrote:I just ordered a couple, really like the sounds on the demos
I also ordered a couple a while back. :party: I wonder when they will start shipping? :hyper:

modmax69
Common Wiggler

Post by modmax69 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
I also ordered a couple a while back. :party: I wonder when they will start shipping? :hyper:
Today. I hope :yay:

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:50 pm

that looks pretty cool!

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:07 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
Me too. Some in MU and Euro. I wouldn't worry too much. It is usual to take time with STG but I have never been let down by the delivery or (especially) the quality. Anything worth while is worth waiting for. :stg:

I have many vco's which use rotary switch pots for octave setting. These can be problematic with glitchy behavior. Some have a "course" knob for wide sweeping (which is great too if you hav the time for a tuner) but this one has a beautiful course encoder knob to dial in the octave and semitone switching and a very useful detuning knob for color. Nothing else like it out there period!

Oh, and by the way... you should get yourself a Sea Devil's filter if you want the ultimate metallic and vintage 70's sound.

modmax69
Common Wiggler

Post by modmax69 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:20 am

kindredlost wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Me too. Some in MU and Euro. I wouldn't worry too much. It is usual to take time with STG but I have never been let down by the delivery or (especially) the quality. Anything worth while is worth waiting for. :stg:

I have many vco's which use rotary switch pots for octave setting. These can be problematic with glitchy behavior. Some have a "course" knob for wide sweeping (which is great too if you hav the time for a tuner) but this one has a beautiful course encoder knob to dial in the octave and semitone switching and a very useful detuning knob for color. Nothing else like it out there period!

Oh, and by the way... you should get yourself a Sea Devil's filter if you want the ultimate metallic and vintage 70's sound.
I have the Sea Devil's filter. It's one of my favorites. Hopefully soon after Knobcon these VCO's will start shipping

Return to “5U Format Modules”