The "Show Us Your Filters" Thread

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:51 am

Is there a difference between the Fonik PS3100 and the MOTM-410??

//M

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 pm

MosLab 904A (old style face plate not shown)
Oakley Croglin (Durality not shown)
Arrick Q107
Grove Audio PM Resonator
ImageImageImageImage

To be honest I have been using a Euro Doepfer A-106-5 SEM VCF a lot with my MU, until I decide on a Moon 517S and Oakley Journeyman or Moon 505.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:44 am

Dr Gris wrote:Is there a difference between the Fonik PS3100 and the MOTM-410??

//M
ive no idea to be honest. although having a quick look at the schematics the motm one uses a different vactrol. im not too good at reading schematics tho so not really sure about differences

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:09 am

Paradigm X wrote:
Dr Gris wrote:Is there a difference between the Fonik PS3100 and the MOTM-410??

//M
ive no idea to be honest. although having a quick look at the schematics the motm one uses a different vactrol. im not too good at reading schematics tho so not really sure about differences
Ok. Thanks!

I have two of the MOTM-410 and playing an old stringmachine thru them is crazy fun!

//M

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:23 pm

I just picked up the Happy Nerding FunVCF. The 1 MU form factor and the fact it is essentially 2 filters in one was a big selling point. I have been trolling Polivoks videos for awhile so I hope I am not disappointed! Unfortunately, I have my rig down for some house cleaning and rearranging....10 modules sitting on shelves with out space in the case! :woah:

On a side note, I ordered a Moon M505 from Noisebug a week ago and was super excited when I got it last Saturday. Much to my surprise the module showed up damaged. Specifically, the Regen pot circuit board was broken. Upon further inspection it seems that the module got compressed in the location of the Moon power port and broke the pot. The odd thing is that both the internal package from Moon and the external packaging from Noisebug were flawless. Long story short, I called Noisebug the day I got it and explained the situation. Great customer service and support...they offered to refund the cost of shipping it back to them and would send out another! Good stuff from a "boutique" retailer. Just wanted to pass along a good experience!

DrReverendSeance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DrReverendSeance » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Great thread! Thanks Flarless. It is very useful having all these filters plus comments in one place.

My system is small with three filters
- MOTM-490 micro VCF
- MOTM-440 low pass
- CGS Serge Voltage Controlled Slope (can I include this as a filter???)

I really like the MOTM-490, The basic filter sounds deep and dark with a little LFO modulation. The resonance self-oscillates really quickly which I find tricky

The CGS VCS is a fun to use as a filter: by adjusting the rise and fall times you can move from filter to harmonizer to random distortions.

Reading this thread, I will probably want to build some of the Oakley filters soon (SVF and Journeyman maybe).

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:14 pm

josaka wrote:.... Q150 is underrated.. (and you are not even feeding it back !)....
Huba-Swift wrote: Q150 Ladder Filter: I just realized that I never have thought to feedback it :bang: what am I doing? I'm going to do that right now...
I'm obviously missing something here ... but I can't figure out just what it would be .... that said ...

.... how do you do a feedback loop with a filter that only has one output?

Using a mult? Or??

I mean, doesn't "feeding it back" mean running the output back into the unused input, then ultimately out again to the next destination?

So how do you get the overdriven sound out of the filter when it only has one output? Again, I just know I'm going to give it one of these ....

:doh:

.... once someone clears this up.

But I just can't make it work without two outputs. Visually speaking.

:despair:

I use feedback loops in Dot Com mixers .. A LOT ....uhm ... a LOT ... uh-LOT - aaaaalotalotalot. But I run one of the bus outs back in to one of the "3rd channel" inputs, then use the "main output" to ultimately get the sound out of the mixer. (BTW, this works bitchen!).

So ... with the Q150 .. how do you make that work, unless you're using a mult to split the feedback loop, but if that's the case, then it's a quasi-feedback loop.

:help:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
But I just can't make it work without two outputs. Visually speaking.

So ... with the Q150 .. how do you make that work, unless you're using a mult to split the feedback loop, but if that's the case, then it's a quasi-feedback loop.

:help:
Yup, you send the output to a mult, one mult out goes to the VCA or wherever else you want to send the filter output, and the other mult out goes back to a spare filter input. It's not a 'quasi-feedback loop', it's just a feedback loop - using a mult to do this is exactly the same as using one of two filter outputs to do this. No difference.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Ok, thanks.
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:53 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:Ok, thanks.
DITTO :tu:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:32 pm

..... and you should try experimenting with passing the feedback signal through various modules to mess it up a bit (or a lot) before you patch it back to the spare filter input. Like a clipper or overdrive, maybe a little wavefolding, etc. Also try inverting it. By altering the feedback signal and playing with the feedback level, you can get all sorts of new filter sounds out of the same filter.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Dave Peck wrote:..... and you should try experimenting with passing the feedback signal through various modules to mess it up a bit (or a lot) before you patch it back to the spare filter input. Like a clipper or overdrive, maybe a little wavefolding, etc. Also try inverting it. By altering the feedback signal and playing with the feedback level, you can get all sorts of new filter sounds out of the same filter.
Ok, NOW we're talkin' !!

To split the signal (rather than just using a mult) I'd run the VCF's output to a Q147 Distributor. Now, with the distributor taking ownership of the VCF's output, it may not only be split into three separate and fully discrete signals, but each of those signals may be inverted (or not)!!

Additionally, the Q147 has an option, there is a 2 pin header round the back that when the pins are shorted the Q147 produces 200% of it's input to all 3 of it's outputs. (A toggle switch would be an appropriate modification .. wink wink).

So if the Q150's output were patched to a Q147's input, there would be 3 signal paths to play with. Signals that could be individually inverted, and boosted up to 200% of their input level.

I just knew there had to be a better way than simply using a mult. The Q147 makes for a damned fine "mult".

I have 2 on hand, one is committed, one is available .. that is until now!

The committed one, I use it just after the PRE-VCF Mixer's output to split the signal 3 ways .... 1 goes to VCF1, 2nd goes to VCF2, and the 3rd goes straight to VCA input mixer for that "straight through" lead sound. A simple toggle switch between VCF1 and VCF2 permits parallel or series routing of the filter connections, the switch either sends VCF1's output to VCF2 input for series filtering, or it sends VCF1's output off to the VCA input mixer for parallel filtering.

BUT ... now add that other Q147 I have for use in feedback pathways for VCF2 (Q150) and I finally know what to do with the second bus of the VCA input mixer! I knew I'd been dragging my feet on finalizing that set of routings for some reason! THANK YOU (member) *DAVE PECK FOR TRIGGERING THAT INSPIRATION THIS MORNING!!!!!!!!!

Thankythankythankythankyouthankyou .... HAA!!!!!!!! (whew .. taking a breath here....)

Yea, them Q147s are really something sweet. I've ordered and waiting on one of those newfangled Q114++ mixer/distributor/inverter/switcher/helocopter/blender/welder modules. Straight away I want to add a 5-way rotary to each channel for access to all 6 functions per channel without goofing about with jumper links around the back.

Ho-boy ... I'm off the rails again. So .. yea ... back to the Q147/Q150 feedback fiddly-winker stuff. Q150 out -- Q147 in -- 3 paths to mangle -- add a mixer to bring it all back together -- back in to 2nd Q150 input.

Right on! :tu:

... see what happens when you trigger a maniacal DIYer? ...

HA! :nana:

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:03 pm

The Q147 really looks like a damn useful module! I can't believe I don't have one yet. Worse, I can't believe I didn't add one to the order I just placed with Dotcom (and has already shipped).

Thanks for the tip. Later this afternoon I plan to take some of this great info and have filter fun time :nana:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Gizmo
Common Wiggler

Post by Gizmo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 am

My collection is not as fancy as other posters, but I really like the Oakley COTA (Krisp1 build) for its versatility, ranging from liquid to "impulse pop" to clean harmonic filtering. Also, I built the two static filters with low expectations, but continue to be amazed at how simply useful they are, especially the HPF for taking out unwanted low audio components (especially with spring reverb which otherwise can suffer from muddiness).

From other posts I get the impression that the Fixed Filter Bank is not very popular, and it is mentioned here only once. It does demand a lot of time and patience, but I have used it convincingly to model hollow body resonances, as well as for more unusual audio modifications. The Dotcom FFB can totally squelch the frequencies in each band.

Dr Gris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dr Gris » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 am

Nice!
I also really like my COTA and I'm waiting on a Fixed Filter Bank from Flareless :nana:

//M

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Gizmo wrote:My collection is not as fancy as other posters, but I really like the Oakley COTA (Krisp1 build) for its versatility, ranging from liquid to "impulse pop" to clean harmonic filtering. Also, I built the two static filters with low expectations, but continue to be amazed at how simply useful they are, especially the HPF for taking out unwanted low audio components (especially with spring reverb which otherwise can suffer from muddiness).

From other posts I get the impression that the Fixed Filter Bank is not very popular, and it is mentioned here only once. It does demand a lot of time and patience, but I have used it convincingly to model hollow body resonances, as well as for more unusual audio modifications. The Dotcom FFB can totally squelch the frequencies in each band.

That Q107A yours looks nicer than it does on the Dot Com website.

And as for the Dot Com Q127 Fixed Filter Bank ... if I could only scratch up 4 more spaces! In it's stead, what I will have to end up doing is using DIY'd "send and return" jacks in strategic locations within the signal flow of my synth, send the VCOs to some sort of VCA ... then off to a rack mounted EQ, then back again to be reintegrated into the modular signal path via some sort of Euro instrument interface. A sortof little detour out of the modular cabinet, out to outboard EQ(s), then back in to the modular cabinet to resume the signals' travels within the modular.

That's my only recourse to replace the Q127 FFB in my own situation, otherwise I'd be right there in the FFB camp with you! I am totally out of space, so much so that I am having to conjure up DIY panels that allow me to combine more than one circuit in the space of one circuit.

I'm nearly done working out a 5 space panel for my VCF bank that squishes 7 spaces of modules into 5 spaces. (My "VCF bank" ... HA! As if! .... it's only a Q107 and a Q150 with some added mixers and such). Otherwise I'd expand my filter collection. The COTA is very interesting to me, but it's impractical to add to my already cramped system.

You have a plenty "fancy" setup there, man!

Gizmo
Common Wiggler

Post by Gizmo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:And as for the Dot Com Q127 Fixed Filter Bank ... if I could only scratch up 4 more spaces!

Yeah, no doubt about it, the FFB is a hog. But you found a practical alternative. You always seem to have creative approaches and clever ideas for saving space, extending functionality and simplifying things.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:49 am

Flareless wrote:The Q147 really looks like a damn useful module! I can't believe I don't have one yet. Worse, I can't believe I didn't add one to the order I just placed with Dotcom (and has already shipped).

Thanks for the tip. Later this afternoon I plan to take some of this great info and have filter fun time :nana:
It is handy. I mostly use it to make my three ADSR's seem like more. You likely saw that it also puts out voltage if unpatched, so it's a nice cv source/offset.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:51 am

@MM - very cool use!

I really like the Fixed Filter Bank! It's far more subtle allowing you to gently tweak segments of the frequency spectrum.

Each FFB has its own unique and very cool characteristics. The one I have is the Yusynth. Yves' FFB has the excellent feature of outputting odd and even frequency controls out separate jacks. When used with a Yusynth VC Panning Mixer you can make some very interesting nature sounds.

http://soundcloud.com/lowerwestsidestudio/windy-drone
Last edited by Flareless on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm

My filter selection is pretty humble/repetitive. I have 4 Dotcom Q107's, 2 with filter mixers, a Yusynth Minimoog filter (thanks again, DR), a newly arrived Q150, and a STG Sea Devils filter. The Moon modulation banks keep things fun--particularly love it with the SDF--and the Q107's are often patched together, for stereo effects, processing in series or parallel, homemade variable width notch filters, a sort of VC bandpass filter bank, etc. The lonely Q107 is saving a place for the forthcoming Moon 517. Whenever that is released, the Q107 can rejoin his brothers on their row. Oh, I guess the Cynthia and Megaohm LPG's and my Zerosum Intertia Destructor Beams should be listed as well, but they were off in their own little corners at photo time.

ericD13
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ericD13 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:19 am

bwhittington wrote:The Moon modulation banks keep things fun
What is this modulation bank ?
Never heard of this :(
"Unfortunately it took me forty years to conclude that nothing is possible outside DoReMi."
P. Schaeffer

Lots of 5U modules to sell in europe :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=219781

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:55 am

ericD13 wrote:
bwhittington wrote:The Moon modulation banks keep things fun
What is this modulation bank ?
Never heard of this :(
Sorry, that wasn't their real name. 590fm Filter Bank Input Module. They are the big square modules in the first pic in front of each filters. They provide a 4-channel mixer for the filter audio input and a 12 channel mixer for the cv input that can connect to the Moon cv bus. They take up lots of space but being able to dial in little bits of cv from so many sources can add a lot of texture to a patch. Or completely kill it of course. :hihi: A bit like adding pins on a Synthi.

josaka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by josaka » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:13 pm

bwhittington wrote:
How different do these sound from each other..?

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Pretty different, really. The Q150 has so many slope settings that can give its filter sweeps a range from warm glow to a somewhat brittle growl (not at all in a bad way). It can leap into self-oscillating pretty quickly, which is not my favorite characteristic. It has a much more pronounced amplitude reduction with high resonance. After experimenting with the Q150's jumpers, its factory defaults seem the most Moogy to me, but it's range goes a good bit beyond that.

The Yusynth filter has fewer of those slope options, but its tone is very pleasing. Warm, maybe slightly fuzzy in a good way compared to the Q150. Maybe somewhat less aggressive, also in a good way. It's resonance is very, very different. Much more pleasing settings before self-oscillation. Very nice when overdriven with feedback. Mine behaves somewhat erratically if you manually sweep the resonance. I suspect I may have a dirty pot, but I kind of like it that way. Ladder filter with quirky squiggles . . . very nice.

I do not know the specifics, but I understand there to be different transistor arrays one can use in building these, so they could vary from unit to unit. Mine was gifted to me during a visit with the ever-kind kindredlost. He had built two, two different ways, and kept the one he liked most, so that might skew the worth of my already subjective impressions. But I have enjoyed this filter a lot.

Both are nice and both of them get you in the ballpark of what you are expecting from a transistor ladder filter. Both sound somewhat similar to my Minimoog reissue, while also sounding . . . somewhat different. No one would miss their differences in a side by side listen.

trentpmcd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trentpmcd » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:25 pm

Digging this back up since I received a third filter while I was away for Thanksgiving.

Here is a quick look at the entire system pre-new module:

Notice the hole on the top row? Half of it has been filled. So now we have:

Left to right:
dotcom Q107. I like it. Mostly use it as a high pass before the Q150 or as a bandpass. This week I've been doing a lot of A-B-C between the three and have gotten a new appreciation for this one.
dotcom Q150. Nice ladder filter and my bread and butter filter. Someday I may want to get a little closer to old-school Moog, but may have to get a complete Mos-Labs voice or something similar....
Krisp1 built Oakley Croglin (The new one): When I saw the Krisp 1 sale, I went this way because I liked the sound and figured it would be different. It is! Been having a blast playing with it this week. It has its own, unique sound that I can find a million and one uses for.

So there is still a hole up there in my filter section. Most likely an STG, but haven't decided between Sea Devils and Post Lawsuit. And then, there is a lot of room to the right of that. I may have to add a couple of more before the cabinets are filled ;) (I like filters ;) And if you look at the top photo, I like EGs too....(hint, I'm using 2 from my Voyager in this patch))

Return to “5U Format Modules”