Pots on Manis Iteritas Magnus as attenuators?

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

minipusice
Common Wiggler

Pots on Manis Iteritas Magnus as attenuators?

Post by minipusice » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:13 am

Hi there,

anyone knows if pots work as cv attenuators on Manis Iteritas Magnus? For example, if i put a square LFO in a SMASH input jack, will the SMASH pot attenuate the LFO's cv when turned ccv?

Thanks in advance!
Karlo

ranix

Re: Pots on Manis Iteritas Magnus as attenuators?

Post by ranix » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:19 pm

people always look at me weird when I say I don't like euro panel conventions even with noise engineering stuff, but this is a great example. What the heck is a SMASH input? What a worthless label. The label should convey the function. Let's see what the manual says? Hmm...
Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 6.18.37 PM.png
Oh, it's all so clear now...

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:29 pm

ranix wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:19 pm
people always look at me weird when I say I don't like euro panel conventions even with noise engineering stuff, but this is a great example. What the heck is a SMASH input? What a worthless label. The label should convey the function. Let's see what the manual says? Hmm...

... what the hells the matter with you son? .... everybody knows what ~smash~ is .... god yer stoopid.

:mrgreen:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. as of Dec 8th 2020 on a break for a bit .. contact me via bamco60@hotmail.com if needed.
WELCOME TO 2021 .. THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

MrNezumi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrNezumi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:10 pm

On most NE modules the pots offset (cv plus level) when the jacks are in use. My BIM eats up a few attenuators when in use. I assume the MIM is the same.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:14 pm

ranix wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 pm
.. I mean what else should we expect from a module called the Experidood Floppyanus DelTaco Bugnatious? (that's latin for ~noisey ass rattlebucket stankshooter~ to you and me kids!).

:despair:

8-)

5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. as of Dec 8th 2020 on a break for a bit .. contact me via bamco60@hotmail.com if needed.
WELCOME TO 2021 .. THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

Thorsday
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thorsday » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:12 am

Noise Engineering definitely overlooked 5U users'
expectations... Front panel esthetics and functions labeling really miss the mark. Only saving grace is the sound.

MrNezumi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrNezumi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:23 am

OK Boomers. Get out of the way and let the next generation of 5u users through. If knobs that aren’t in a straight row and two knobs with unique names have you this upset just take your heart medicine and sit in your rocking chair.

KipKubin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KipKubin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:12 pm

BIM into a Yusynth Arp2600 filter - one of the most rewarding musical modules out there. I still haven’t used it for percussion.

Sugarfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sugarfree » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:11 pm

MrNezumi wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:23 am
OK Boomers. Get out of the way and let the next generation of 5u users through. If knobs that aren’t in a straight row and two knobs with unique names have you this upset just take your heart medicine and sit in your rocking chair.
If you don't care about the small details of a good, user-friendly design, don't put it on a generational difference. Millennials can be as brilliant and meticulous as any generation before.
Black Knobs are dead!

ranix

Post by ranix » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:49 pm

I am a millennial

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:35 pm

So to answer the OPs question, in THIS case, it would appear that the pot associated with the "smash" input does not behave like a CV attenuator, it is a distortion amount control.

MrNezumi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MrNezumi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Sugarfree wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:11 pm
MrNezumi wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:23 am
If you don't care about the small details of a good, user-friendly design, don't put it on a generational difference. Millennials can be as brilliant and meticulous as any generation before.
I care about small details of a good, user-friendly design; I just don’t agree with you about what exactly that is.

Smash is just fine as the nomenclature for the knob/jack’s function. And the manual clearly states that it functions similarly to a wave folder but is actually a modulus-function algorithm that manipulates the waveforms. I am positive of this (<- math joke about modulus-functions). The non-traditional nomenclature describes non-traditional functions. And perhaps starts new traditions for labeling modulus-function algorithm knobs/jacks.

All of the above will be moot for most younger generations (and more adaptable people from older generations) because they will go online and check out videos of NE modules which clearly demonstrate each knob/jack/function. They will see the knob turn and hear the result. The “smash” will be self evident and easily accepted.

I own three (plus an expander) NE Eurorack modules. I think the jagged graphics are unattractive but they have never interfered with my understanding or use of the modules. The 5u versions however look great and have a user-friendly interface. They are perfect for what 5u needs these days - innovation that nods to the past without getting bogged down by it.

Thorsday
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thorsday » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:07 am

@MrNezumi... I'm not a Boomer. I'm a Millenial. I think the latest incarnations of Krisp1 and Corsynth have gotten on par with STG Soundlabs, Moon Modular, and Happy Nerding in representing the standard for modern Moog Unit/5U panel esthetics. I wish all the manufacturers went away from powder coat, and Noise Engineering also needs to mask the sides...

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:29 am

Thorsday wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:07 am
@MrNezumi... I'm not a Boomer. I'm a Millenial. I think the latest incarnations of Krisp1 and Corsynth have gotten on par with STG Soundlabs, Moon Modular, and Happy Nerding in representing the standard for modern Moog Unit/5U panel esthetics. I wish all the manufacturers went away from powder coat, and Noise Engineering also needs to mask the sides...
Funny - I have selected modules for my system based on the sound. Any looks/labeling difference between manufacturers haven't been a consideration.
I have 4 NE modules and until I read the "mask the sides" comment, I never noticed that about those 4, or if I did, it never registered as a difference/issue. I had to get up and look at my system to see it.

I will say that layout/ergonomics of 5U (versus my foray into Euro) is what I like given my larger hands/fingers so modules that cram too much into a 1U or 2U panel are less desirable versus any particular labeling.

Thorsday
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thorsday » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:34 am

I have Cursus and Ataraxic. I bought them in spite of looks...

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:35 am

Thorsday wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:34 am
I have Cursus and Ataraxic. I bought them in spite of looks...
I have those as well. If you like them, I highly recommend the Basimilus.

Thorsday
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thorsday » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:38 am

I had Basimilus... I sold for more Crank. Seriously. Euro manufacturers attenuator pots are as profound as Mesa//Boogie active EQ.

Freaky Steve
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Freaky Steve » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:13 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:29 pm
ranix wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:19 pm

... what the hells the matter with you son? .... everybody knows what ~smash~ is .... god yer stoopid.

I like how he picks the smash button to make fun of when it has a knob called profundity.

Sugarfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sugarfree » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 pm

I bought Manis and Basimilus despite the looks but replaced the ugly knobs. Do you remember, that the NE original panel design was even more... "different". They don't sell it anymore.
262x537_18776.jpg
262x537_18776.jpg (31.01 KiB) Viewed 287 times
Black Knobs are dead!

Sugarfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sugarfree » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:51 pm

oldgearguy wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:29 am
Thorsday wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:07 am
Funny - I have selected modules for my system based on the sound. Any looks/labeling difference between manufacturers haven't been a consideration.
I have 4 NE modules and until I read the "mask the sides" comment, I never noticed that about those 4, or if I did, it never registered as a difference/issue. I had to get up and look at my system to see it.

I will say that layout/ergonomics of 5U (versus my foray into Euro) is what I like given my larger hands/fingers so modules that cram too much into a 1U or 2U panel are less desirable versus any particular labeling.
The masked sides in 5U serve a practical purpose. They mark the beginning and end of panels, which matters on-stage in poor lighting conditions.
Black Knobs are dead!

Return to “5U Format Modules”