how many of you noise makers here use eurorack?

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

how much eurorack do you use for noise art?

I use only eurorack
22%
I do not use any eurorack
12%
I use mostly eurorack, but also use other sources (more than 50% euro)
40%
I use mostly other sources, but also some eurorack (less than 50% euro)
20%
I have an even balance (50% euro, 50% other)
6%

Total votes: 50

bouzoukijoe1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

how many of you noise makers here use eurorack?

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:49 pm

hi all,

curious to see how many of you noise artists use euro and how much of your systems are made of euro modules, if any at all? I guess that maybe most noise artists use a variety of different sound sources beyond modular synths.

bouzoukijoe1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:40 am

thanks to the participants thus far

kvnvk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kvnvk » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:28 am

no eurorack or modular at all, though I did have a brief flirtation with a few of the pAia 9700 series modules and Blacet Dark Star Chaos back around '99-2000.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Modcan A, Little Boy Blue, and pedals/amps/mics/whatevers.

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Lately I've been building noise machines into eurorack format for convenience.

Yeah there is always some pedals. How does that count in your poll?

bouzoukijoe1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:05 pm

nice. I kind of wish the Boy Blue was slightly cheaper. seems like a fun instrument.
falafelbiels wrote:Lately I've been building noise machines into eurorack format for convenience.

Yeah there is always some pedals. How does that count in your poll?
I suppose that counts as non-eurorack. I consider the eurorack option more like off-the-shelf instant synths with "known boundaries" that you just purchase. in other words, they are made and designed to do specific things (and thus you create within those boundaries).

I've always considered pure "noise instruments" as having very unknown boundaries. that's kind of the gist of what I'm getting at -- trying to see how many people use "canned" instruments vs. no-holds-barred/no rules devices.
Last edited by bouzoukijoe1 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reppiks
Obscure Intergalactic Destroyers!

Post by reppiks » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:05 pm

i'm deliberately limited myself to my Eurorack system exclusively for making noise, i enjoy the creative challenge plus it helps keep costs and space to a (reasonable) minimum!

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:09 pm

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:nice. I kind of wish the Boy Blue was slightly cheaper. seems like a fun instrument.
I do think it's worth its asking price for what you get (2x discrete saw VCOs, preamp, envelope follower, plus a 3x1 mixer with intermodulation distortion).

Plus it sounds fantastic.

bouzoukijoe1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:16 pm

on the other hand I guess there is always the argument that if you have the right eurorack modules, you can still have more options than any musician who exclusively uses "noise machines" or non-instruments. maybe.

not that it's about this vs. that. both options are great. I guess I'm just curious what the breakdown is among purists and non-purists if that even exists around here.

I find non-synths sometimes harder to control, and thus more difficult to use because of the unpredictability. although I guess it varies from device to device.

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:32 pm

my power electronics setup is slowy being overun with eurorack...i think in towards the fututre im looking at maybe two cases, several effects, a small mixer and possibly my boss dr220 drum machine
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

ringstone
antipodean experimentalist

Post by ringstone » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:43 pm

This is my crazy noise project:

Die-Burial-Rot

It focuses on improv with a small number of (self-DIY'd) Euro modules at a time. Sometimes there's a bit of pre-processed sound that's run through the Euro, and sometimes a bit of post-processing. The most satisfying pieces I think are the ones that are just one single pass of improv with little or minimal processing. Very liberating (and not too serious!).

Cheers
Blair

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm not really at all a noise artist although I like to get noisy sometimes.
I can make a tremendous racket with a 6U Euro case including
the Doepfer A-138M Matrix Mixer. Get some cross modulating
feedback loops going with a couple of audio processors and bingo!
I guess that's the way I would go because I like to keep
my cabling fairly self contained.
So I'll vote the first option.

bouzoukijoe1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:53 am

ringstone wrote:This is my crazy noise project:

Die-Burial-Rot

It focuses on improv with a small number of (self-DIY'd) Euro modules at a time. Sometimes there's a bit of pre-processed sound that's run through the Euro, and sometimes a bit of post-processing. The most satisfying pieces I think are the ones that are just one single pass of improv with little or minimal processing. Very liberating (and not too serious!).

Cheers
Blair
that's some good stuff! I agree with the single pass improvs. there's something about just going by your gut and being in the moment that really prioritizes the right things and makes it feel less predictable than super composed stuff. really a joy to do. definitely satisfying.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:07 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:on the other hand I guess there is always the argument that if you have the right eurorack modules, you can still have more options than any musician who exclusively uses "noise machines" or non-instruments. maybe.
Or the right any modules...

Anyway, I treat the LBB as just another set of modules in my setup. Integrates and cross patches like a champ. I totally don't think of it as just a "noise box".

For example, here it is sequenced and patched with my old banana Frac setup (into a Borg filter — caution: no noise ahead).

http://soundcloud.com/parasitk/little-b ... uence-demo

crochambeau
Common Wiggler

Post by crochambeau » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:00 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:trying to see how many people use "canned" instruments vs. no-holds-barred/no rules devices.
Makes me feel better about my "no" vote, however, EVERYTHING has rules. It's just that some are buried under a stratification of blurred lines.

Making noise an inverse of bureaucracy, with just as many slip streams and pitfalls.

reppiks
Obscure Intergalactic Destroyers!

Post by reppiks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote: I consider the eurorack option more like off-the-shelf instant synths with "known boundaries" that you just purchase. in other words, they are made and designed to do specific things (and thus you create within those boundaries).

I've always considered pure "noise instruments" as having very unknown boundaries. that's kind of the gist of what I'm getting at -- trying to see how many people use "canned" instruments vs. no-holds-barred/no rules devices.
I disagree: eurorack can be far from an instant synth with known boundaries. In fact, for me it's the very fact that it is NOT instant, and that it can create so much unpredictability in the sounds, that makes it such a spontaneous joy to create and discover noise with. I think this depends a lot on the user's approach, system, etc. I got into modular precisely to get away from canned instruments.

bouzoukijoe1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 pm

@reppiks -- true true, although I guess the way I was looking at it, even if euro can actually cover more ground and in theory has less of a boundary than found or hacked instruments, synth functions are much more well-behaved than we would like to think. in some ways, there is still a canned aspect (sort of). not canned as in unable to be customized, but canned as in it's designed to still operate within boundaries.

for example, in the real world, there is drift and chaos, but in euro, the modules are not really made to do these things (maybe with the exception of Ian Fritz's chaos stuff). it usually requires extra effort and sometimes aren't as effective as naturally occurring drift, interference, chaos, etc. feedback and overdrive might be the most effective tricks, but luckily those are easier to do in euro. but even when it comes to random, modules like the Noisering prove to be not truly random (not sure about the other random modules).

although I guess for "interference" as a behavior, there are ways to induce it even in euro. hm... but true drift you can't really do unless you start messing with the power supply or oscillator innards.

I thought this was the reason why instruments like the Ekdahl Moisturizer were popular -- because they could be more unpredictable than typical synth modules.

krz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by krz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:27 am

"Euro-crack"? As in addiction. I've avoided computer games so far...

skullservant
Caveman Dirgescapes //

Post by skullservant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:01 pm

I'd been using a Flower Electronics LBB extensively for my noise stuff for the past few months. Before that I was patching Moogs together as a pseudo-modular synth, and before that I had made various drone synths etc along with using Trogotronic stuff. Everything has since sold and I've just started my first 3U rack. The first module being a Trogotronic M666. I'd had limited experience with the table top version, but I'm excited to try out the M666!
DIRGE // PUTRID AROMATICS
putridaromatics.bandcamp.com

Putrid_phil
Common Wiggler

Post by Putrid_phil » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:31 am

I'm using all modulars so far but i've got a drone commander and a baby box on hold :mrgreen:
But obviously, my main goal is to get my animoo ASAP :hail: :hail:

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:14 am

I like sending Eurorack into Max/MSP for noise. But I'm also enjoying using a microphone, a trumpet, and my voice to make noise. The microphone works in the same way as a microscope... there are tons of little alien bugs swimming around in pond water, just as there are tons of huge, terrifying, complex sounds that are too quiet for our ears to hear. Try rubbing a microphone on a music stand, into a very short (<75ms) delay... sounds like the end of the world...

Return to “Synth Noise”