Noise with Software

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Sketches
Learning to Wiggle

Noise with Software

Post by Sketches » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 am

Hey,

new round these parts but seems kinda cool. Not sure if this is more suited to the software section. Wondering how many of you guys are doing noise music with purely software. Drones and the likes and what you are using to do it. Been getting into Reaktor quite a bit recently.

Anyone got some good samples of some cool Noise you have been making in the box?

Sketches.

rozzbud
Common Wiggler

Post by rozzbud » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:48 pm

audiomulch is a classic

Sketches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sketches » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:08 am

Yeah have been looking at Audiomulch, may well give it a go. The interface certainly looks nice.

thesubtleknights666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thesubtleknights666 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:22 pm

http://soundcloud.com/the-subtle-knights

All these tracks were made using PPOOLL and some samples. If you'd like some knowledge on the program feel free to ask!

mmelnick
No melody, no harmony

Post by mmelnick » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:10 pm

I do only power electronics and bloop wiggling and I use audacity, protools once In a while and frequently audiomulch. It can screw audio up in ways nothing else can.
matthewmelnick.com
metrono.me
bloodofazombie.com
darksidenyc.com
myworld.ebay.com/brooklyn_collectables

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:31 pm

another vote for audiomulch!

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:35 pm

Fennesz is mainly guitar plus Reaktor

Sketches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sketches » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:35 am

thesubtleknights666 wrote:http://soundcloud.com/the-subtle-knights

All these tracks were made using PPOOLL and some samples. If you'd like some knowledge on the program feel free to ask!
Some very cool stuff there :tu: Just checked out the PPOOLL site, luckily I have Max 6 ready to go so I will certainly give this a try over the weekend. Looks like a pretty deep program but the manual seems pretty good, may hit you up for some tips :tu:

slow_riot Fennesz is really cool and being a guitarist too I may try mangling some guitar through it at some point.

Seems like I will need to get stuck into Audiomulch too, seems lke the popular choice.

Thanks all.

thesubtleknights666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thesubtleknights666 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:42 am

Fennesz actually uses (or used to at any rate) LLOOPP (predecessor to PPOOLL) as his only live software http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/06/i ... rformance/

There is a screen shot of his setup on the PPOOLL website.

amsonx
Grey Man Patcher

Post by amsonx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:08 am

+1 for Audiomulch
FS (EU) Roland R8 MKII perfect condition

richard wrote:
"we just need some mutlinational to grab the copyrights over the sine wave and we are all fucked"

Oldstench
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Oldstench » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:39 am

I'm a Reaktor junky. Reaktor + ValhallaDSP plugins = instant drone bliss.

oljud
DOG

Post by oljud » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:08 am

I've used MaxMSP alot. The tutorials are good, but unless you're good at that kind of stuff you might find yourself having a hard time. Check if you can find courses in Max, or PD. SuperCollider is seriously cool too but I can't use it (yet).

Also useful: Nord Modular G2 Demo.

Oh and as always try feedback. You need tapin~ and tapout~ for that in MaxMSP. Or gen~ (another thing I haven't checked out yet...)

Of course DAWs can be fun too. Reason is patchable and if you skip the whole midi bit it can make good noise. Reaper has quite flexible routing too (though you need to switch on the feedback option) and the most useful thing ever: automatically muting the sound over a selectable volume. It's saved my ears many times (300 decibels? MM LOVELY)

krz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by krz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:15 am

Max/msp. Pure Data. Super collider.
Camel synths.

slovo
Care Bear of Fury

Post by slovo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:42 am

I use a lot of different tools, but I've been surprised at how much crazy shit you can do using only Reaper, its included plugins, and parameter modulation. My closest collaborator is using this configuration and gets great mileage. Me I just turn all the distortions up to 11 and randomly record the output.
(ignatius) "it's like Point Break meets Schindler's List"
AIRSEA - Creepy noises to protest air pollution

Sketches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sketches » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:21 am

oljud wrote:I've used MaxMSP alot. The tutorials are good, but unless you're good at that kind of stuff you might find yourself having a hard time. Check if you can find courses in Max, or PD. SuperCollider is seriously cool too but I can't use it (yet).

Also useful: Nord Modular G2 Demo.

Oh and as always try feedback. You need tapin~ and tapout~ for that in MaxMSP. Or gen~ (another thing I haven't checked out yet...)

Of course DAWs can be fun too. Reason is patchable and if you skip the whole midi bit it can make good noise. Reaper has quite flexible routing too (though you need to switch on the feedback option) and the most useful thing ever: automatically muting the sound over a selectable volume. It's saved my ears many times (300 decibels? MM LOVELY)
Yeah currenlty playing with MaxMSP, I am a software developer so I am pretty comfortable with the set-up just not found the time to delve too deep yet. Gen seems like a very cool addition to the package.

djijk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by djijk » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:36 am

I do noise with software. http://soundcloud.com/independentlabel/ ... -interest/

I made it entirely with audacity and apps I programmed, ApplPi (http://archive.org/details/ApplPi) and OriginalSynth (http://originalsynth.sf.net). I made a version of ApplPi that processes mic input but it's not free at this point.

glitchpop
Fuck! Building synthesizers is art

Post by glitchpop » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Pd and SuperCollider. Go open source :yay:

executiveBlaster
Wiggling with Experience

Post by executiveBlaster » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:45 am

Ableton Live! So flexible, it's stupid. Generally favors rhythm, but that's not always a bad thing. Gets a bad rap as DJ software, but I stand firm behind it as an amazing instrument.

+a million for supercollider and max and pd. supercollider is really nuts, and has a steep learning curve, but it's baaaaad to the bone. max and pd are great for hardcore sample manipulation.

rockthomas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rockthomas » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Especially after M4L, Ableton has a huge amount of flexibility.

neilbaldwin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neilbaldwin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:55 pm

I'm adding a vote for Aalto. This track is pretty much all Aalto, the interesting bits anyway:

http://soundcloud.com/neilbaldwin/02-fo ... our-errors

krz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by krz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:07 am

Nothing quite like Ableton except for two things. They're OK- but not as good as the Elektron Octatrak...realtime pitch transposing, for sure and sometimes the realtime beat matching leaves a bit to chance- depending on the source samples. And having a (Novation?) controller or two helps alot. Or whatever your controller of choice is? imo 100% mousing around isn't condusive to creative workflow. Started getting physical pain(s) with just MBP & Live 8- til I got a trackball and a controller!

diasporos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by diasporos » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:02 am

I second Ableton Live as an improv instrument.

Logic is my go-to to cut samples etc, then load them into slots in Ableton and use an AKAI APC-40 and a Launch pad as controllers to trigger the samples live. Took the cue from dj 'controllerism' guys like Moldover, but I do it with messed up rhythms and samples, not a steady beat. Works great for me.
Order out of nothingness.

legionhwp
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Noise with Software

Post by legionhwp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:33 am

I just did my first noise Show with the Moog Animoog app. It is the wolf's balls for crunching, modulating, noise. I've never been a fan of live software because of the one parameter/mouse interface or i'd have to program a complex controller. using the IPAD i have basically the same knob/slider live interface as any of my previous hardware synths and I frequently held notes down, tweaked, knobs, or added modulation all at once in real time.

ani moog has a bit crusher, filter, overdrive, multistage envelope, tactile programmable keyboard, delay, *AND* looper built in. It is perfect for sound sculpture/noise shows IMO. on top of all of that you have an oscilloscope and animated visual feedback window which is incredibly useful. I like Reaktor for it's visual interaction but using a full touch tablet takes it to an entirely new level.

my setup was as minimal as I've ever done and it soudned massive: Ipad, Bugbrand WOM, DIY plink box, and boss DD20 delay into a little mixer with an effect send. Animoog was the heart and center of everything and I made a batch of user presets which i scrolled through during the set.

A quick photo only really significant because of the tShirt I was wearing for the gig :nana:

Sketches wrote:Hey,

new round these parts but seems kinda cool. Not sure if this is more suited to the software section. Wondering how many of you guys are doing noise music with purely software. Drones and the likes and what you are using to do it. Been getting into Reaktor quite a bit recently.

Anyone got some good samples of some cool Noise you have been making in the box?

Sketches.
Making the Extraordinary from the Ordinary
Creative Electronic Instruments and Art:
Http://DAEDSound.com

Streaming and Downloadable Organic Electronic Music From the Past 20 Years:

Http://DavidTalento.Bandcamp.com

neilbaldwin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neilbaldwin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:53 pm

WIth the Animoog, does it have MIDI capability or do you need to buy that as an 'in-app purchase'?

legionhwp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by legionhwp » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:54 pm

I believe Animoog now comes standard with full midi cc support. Initially it didn't have that but they made a free update this year.

[EDIT: just checked. Animoog not only has full midi support but it's fully customizable. You can assign any dial or parameter by going into a "midi learn" mode (similar to Reaktor).]

The only additional thing I'd like to see is a hold button. That said, the customizable keyboard and looper go a long way to making that no so necessary too :)
neilbaldwin wrote:WIth the Animoog, does it have MIDI capability or do you need to buy that as an 'in-app purchase'?
Making the Extraordinary from the Ordinary
Creative Electronic Instruments and Art:
Http://DAEDSound.com

Streaming and Downloadable Organic Electronic Music From the Past 20 Years:

Http://DavidTalento.Bandcamp.com

Return to “Synth Noise”