What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: What is it about the musical genre "noise" that you find appealing?

Post by KSS » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:50 am

Pyrrhix wrote:Yes, but I have a very simple definition of music: sounds assembled intentionally and/or listened to intentionally.
I like your definition! :tu:

Unborn Gore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Unborn Gore » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:12 pm

Pyrrhix wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:37 am
carbonhazard wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:13 am
Is noise a musical genre though?
Yes, but I have a very simple definition of music: sounds assembled intentionally and/or listened to intentionally.
My question is:

What is it exactly that dictates that music has to be ordered according to the traditions that we know?

Some rhythms and repetitions are l o n g. You could be listening to something most people consider to be “noise”, but perhaps the beats aren’t in beats per minute.

What if they are in BPH (hour) or BPD (decade)? What if you stop listening, of your own volition, before the cycle completes itself? Is your attention span the barometer for what qualifies as music?

We are so much smaller than we think we are.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:52 pm

@Unborn Gore
There's nothing in Pyrrhix's definition regarding time scale. Only intent.

I'm 100% with you. Ever since the moody's said -in the 60s- "Vibrations reach on up to become light, and then through gamma, and out of sight,
Between the eyes and ears there lies, the sound of color and the light of a sigh."

GGW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by GGW » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:15 pm

KSS wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:50 am
Pyrrhix wrote:Yes, but I have a very simple definition of music: sounds assembled intentionally and/or listened to intentionally.
I like your definition! :tu:
I like that as well.

I've been using:

Music: The artistic arrangement of sound

Unborn Gore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Unborn Gore » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:37 pm

KSS wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:52 pm
@Unborn Gore
There's nothing in Pyrrhix's definition regarding time scale. Only intent.

I'm 100% with you. Ever since the moody's said -in the 60s- "Vibrations reach on up to become light, and then through gamma, and out of sight,
Between the eyes and ears there lies, the sound of color and the light of a sigh."
Surely you are correct. But I wasn’t arguing the point.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:51 pm

Me either. Only pointing it out.

carbonhazard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by carbonhazard » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:26 am

Pyrrhix wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:37 am
carbonhazard wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:13 am
Is noise a musical genre though?
Yes, but I have a very simple definition of music: sounds assembled intentionally and/or listened to intentionally.
i like to think more as sound than music, altho there's plenty of noise with enough musical qualities to qualify as music easy. if "sound art" didn't sound so pretentious, i'd say that would be the best description but since using it with a straight face would make me seem like an insufferable snob i won't use it in a social context, hah. sound art or assembled sound, sound sculpture maybe? idk, it all sounds stupid but i find the process of making noise so different from making traditional rock music that it's hard to consider them as the same thing. music as a term kind of refers to an established tradition, meaning that music is made by pre-set rules based on age old traditions. noise can be (mostly) free of those rules (or not), so i kinda put in in a different context.

in the end who cares

comesect nocisum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by comesect nocisum » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:44 am

noise is the music of true lovers.
sounds are waves moving in air.
music came from rock n roll angels, with songs about underwear.

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:04 pm

I think noise for me hits me in a really instinctive and raw way. Sounds that come at you with an absence of tonality and defined "timbre" or harmonics has a really different emotional/psychical effect. It's like a moment of allowing all my emotions to come at me at once and letting go of myself to absorb it all. Noise - and it doesn't have to be loud, harsh noise - sometimes glitchy sounds I run through a high pass filter also reminds me of my cells disintegrating and loosening up themselves from my body, again, creating a space where the sonic experience allows me to abandon my usual state of being.

Hope that wasn't too wanky. It is pretty much how I feel about making/hearing noise compositions.

teleport
Common Wiggler

Post by teleport » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:23 am

Riffing here, a few gut reactions

Noise, as a singular form - (which could be considered distinct from music, and not even necessarily sonic), (if these categories having any meaning or worth perhaps it is as far as being what they are about ) ... is activity which is about the medium itself. That medium can be a lot of things, the psycho-social environment, the mechanics of the production technology, the dynamics of the natural world, the acoustic space that it exists in in the moment of creation, the structure of bio-mechanical perception and physio-emotional responses.

These are all territories that could be covered equally by cinema or literature or pop-music or orchestra - and any of those formats could be executed via noise - but noise involves a certain stance or focus of an attentive lens that takes into account the mediums qualities in ways that other schools largely consider invisible.

Return to “Synth Noise”