strettara: narrow road

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

strettara
mufferthucker

strettara: narrow road

Post by strettara » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm

narrow road.mp3
(11.75 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

Luke2020

Re: strettara: narrow road

Post by Luke2020 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:04 pm

:D

that works... mellow.

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:12 pm

very nice.

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Like it!

Brings to mind 'Different Trains I'; not derivative, just the feel. Very cool.
[And for some reason, I'm feeling the need to replay Koyaanisqatsi.]

...Is this your new toy (C15)?

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:19 pm

Ooh, this is nice!

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:21 pm

Really enjoyed both listens. Some info regarding goals and process would be appreciated.

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:54 pm

Really nice track, drawing some very complimentary comparisons from Hippo1, although personally I much prefer your track to Different Trains (part 1). Not sure its up there with anything from Koyaanisqatsi, but what the fuck is? A slightly easier on the ear Philip Glass would not be a bad niche to occupy that's for sure! :lol: :tu:

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:36 am

Thanks for the kind words.

As I mentioned in another thread, Steve Reich's music has consistently moved me since I first encountered it in the mid Seventies. I'm very aware that these tracks (Fair Dinkum and this one) are pastiches and in fact they are intended to be, in the sense that I think it's only possible to learn to make music if you follow in someone else's tracks and learn their language. So no claim to any sort of originality.

It's worth considering that in the old days, a composer like Reich would have spawned a school which would have created music in this vein for a few decades with identifiable regional variants and probably quite a few excellent composers whose work was still in a "Reichian style". Today any such thing would be denigrated as derivative and copying. I don't really hold with that at all.

The biggest challenge for me at the moment is form. Philip Glass's music, from what I can see, follows a sort of evolved rondeau form: a number of segments that repeat intermittently, without thematic development as such. Steve Reich seems much more sophisticated and I have to say I have yet to understand what he's up to formally. Certainly one element is to create a set of ambiguous tonal centres tied together with dissonant chords and then move between them. But (with the exception of Drumming) I don't have a clear view of how he organises his work on a large scale. I should really get a study score of one of his major works and dig into it (I think he's published by Boosey).

As for process, I basically just record snatches of ostinatos and melodies into Reaper with the C15 and then cut them up and arrange them, which is what gives me ideas for more things to add, etc. Plundering Reich's vocabulary wholesale and learning to use the daw at the same time :lol:

Glad you enjoyed it.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

Luke2020

Post by Luke2020 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:52 am

fwiw, the reich influence is obvious right from the beginning,enough to wonder if it was out of phase, and giving up on caring due to poor listening skills.what was interesting about it for me was how quick and excitable the tune is, in contrast to how mellow it evolves. perhaps that is reflected in the choice of tone?

knowing no music theory and having no solfege.

Return to “Your Tunes Here”