EMS Synthi waiting list

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

woVERTICES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woVERTICES » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:53 pm

...and pics of the newborn, please Chris...

Best,
John
www.johnjpotter.com

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:17 am

I'm sending my check for £150 off today, oh well, if I'm still alive when it arrives great, if not I'll tell my executor to pay for it and donate it to a deserving wiggler here...

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:51 am

woVERTICES wrote:...and pics of the newborn, please Chris...
Best,
John
www.johnjpotter.com
I get delivery this week but Robin sent me some pics a few days ago... here's one.
Look's pretty fine I think. I can't wait to get it up and running - I still have a pile of my original VCS3 Dope Sheets from the 1970s to try out.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:28 am

Looks good Chris, re the filter mods, I can see the 18/24db mod clearly - is the other one the slew/unslew or the resonance mod?

I was suprised how much I use the slew/ unslew mod for tightening filter envelopes but a little disappointed in the 18/24 db mod as it seems have less effect on the sound than another filter I've used which has 18/24 db outputs.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:32 am

chamomileshark wrote:Looks good Chris, re the filter mods, I can see the 18/24db mod clearly - is the other one the slew/unslew or the resonance mod?
I was suprised how much I use the slew/ unslew mod for tightening filter envelopes but a little disappointed in the 18/24 db mod as it seems have less effect on the sound than another filter I've used which has 18/24 db outputs.
Yes the other switch is unslew.

momo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by momo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Nice pics! How hard did you have to twist Robin’s arm for him to agree fitting that prestopatch??!

mrfang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrfang » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:59 pm

momo wrote:Nice pics! How hard did you have to twist Robin’s arm for him to agree fitting that prestopatch??!
It's offered to everyone but now costs £215. :waah:
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak, Bastl Knit Rider, ARC Artificial Neural Network.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Bastl SoftPop, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400.

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:58 pm

mrfang wrote:
momo wrote:Nice pics! How hard did you have to twist Robin’s arm for him to agree fitting that prestopatch??!
It's offered to everyone but now costs £215. :waah:
I didn't... he offered it.

But he used to include a different type (to quote Robin "white-ended bright green") he now uses a more muted green without the white ends - which I prefer.

gone

Post by gone » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:50 am

chriscarter wrote:
I get delivery this week but Robin sent me some pics a few days ago... here's one.
Look's pretty fine I think. I can't wait to get it up and running - I still have a pile of my original VCS3 Dope Sheets from the 1970s to try out.
Looks very nice, indeed, Chris.
Enjoy!

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:53 pm

Very nice, Chris! Happy patching.

Lofisynthguy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lofisynthguy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:20 pm

:tu:

demian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by demian » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:21 am

I was the last person on the waiting list, and my synthi is being shipped today.
Here is a picture Robin send to me some weeks ago.

I have choosen to keep the Synthi A completely original without any modifications, partly because of esthetically reasons and partly i don't think i need any modification actually. Although, the prestopatch connector looks stunning on the picture above although i probably would never use it, i maybe wish i had choosen that option too, but it is now to late for it.

Still very happy it will finally arrive. :-)

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:53 am

demian wrote:I was the last person on the waiting list, and my synthi is being shipped today.
Here is a picture Robin send to me some weeks ago.
I have choosen to keep the Synthi A completely original without any modifications, partly because of esthetically reasons and partly i don't think i need any modification actually. Although, the prestopatch connector looks stunning on the picture above although i probably would never use it, i maybe wish i had choosen that option too, but it is now to late for it.
Still very happy it will finally arrive. :-)
Wow the very last one! I guess that's the end of an era then?

Yes I got the presto patch included (just in case), though honestly I haven't used it yet. But I must say how pleased we are with our Synthi (I share it with Cosey - she's named it Synthia), it sounds wonderful.
We just had Steve at Digitana (what a great guy) build us a small Synthi CV interface for it. They make a nice colour coordinated matching combo.

doepferiano
Wiggling with Experience

Post by doepferiano » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:41 am

don't know if it's last one, because I have an extra suitcase and I'm in list too ... :D

mrfang
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mrfang » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:10 am

There are several of us who provided our own Spartanite cases and are still waiting. Soon!
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak, Bastl Knit Rider, ARC Artificial Neural Network.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Bastl SoftPop, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:01 pm

I thought Robin only had a few cases left like two centuries ago. The last one just shipped eh? Time to leave my spot for a VCS3 in a will to my nephew.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:48 am

chriscarter wrote:
woVERTICES wrote:...and pics of the newborn, please Chris...
Best,
John
www.johnjpotter.com

There is nothing like an original Synthi, nothing, end of story, forget the sound, all the imitators pale into insignificance in the presence of these things, they are just soooooo beautiful.

demian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by demian » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:33 am

mrfang wrote:There are several of us who provided our own Spartanite cases and are still waiting. Soon!
Well, my Synthi was from the last batch of 4 which has been made by EMS is what is told me, and i was the last one on the waitinglist. (for Synthi's with parts from EMS own stock i suppose) It could perfectly be true that some more Synthi's will be made if you deliver your own case and have an agreement ofcourse, i don't know anything about that)

I also wonder how many Sealectro patchpanels are still available by EMS or do they switch to an own developed version of it?

merchant
Common Wiggler

Post by merchant » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 am

Just want to say....Beeeautiful!

I'm on the list, but missed out on the Synthi due to the lack of suitcases. Had to 'settle' for a VCS.

If it arrives (Godspeed Robin!) perhaps a short-term swap could be arranged with a nearby wiggler.

I've ordered every mod going, barring Prestopatch. Maybe I'll regret that. Certainly have time to change it.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 am

A few years ago I asked Robin if he could supply with a spare matrix to refurbish a rare 16x16 matrixing panel module. He replied that he prefered to keep his stock for the new units but planned to have new ones done in the future, and kindly offered me a used one that was ok for me, so I don't know if he got the new ones in the meantime, but he was obviously still able to have some new matrices made to the same specs as the old Sealectro ones.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:55 am

demian wrote:Well, my Synthi was from the last batch of 4 which has been made by EMS is what is told me, and i was the last one on the waitinglist.
Kind of funny. He told me that my unit received in early 2017 was from the last batch of 5 he was producing. Hopefully more continue to trickle out as cases are available. Such a beautiful sounding synth.

demian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by demian » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:12 am

bwhittington wrote:
demian wrote:Well, my Synthi was from the last batch of 4 which has been made by EMS is what is told me, and i was the last one on the waitinglist.
Kind of funny. He told me that my unit received in early 2017 was from the last batch of 5 he was producing. Hopefully more continue to trickle out as cases are available. Such a beautiful sounding synth.
It could still be correct, batches of 5 are different batches than batches of 4.

Maybe now batches of 3 will be done.. :mrgreen:

Anyway, my Synthi is less than 150km away from me, tomorrow will be a great day! :banana:

Synthoholic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synthoholic » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:29 am

No. 133 9/17/13 (dep. received; 2 year projection to catch up with backlog)
No. 116 3/24/14
No. 93 3/23/15
No. 68 3/13/16 (projected delivery before end of 2017)
No. 64 1/25/17 (No. 25 DKII List)
No. 59 9/9/17 (25 DKII List)
No. 49 8/23/18 (25 DKII List)

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:45 am

Would love to see a inside picture of a new Robin made Synthi A ;)

cheapmachines
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cheapmachines » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 am

Last estimate for mine is mid-September, good to see some have made it out into the wild :)

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”