Which Banana Jack Do You Prefer and Why?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Which Banana Jack Do You Prefer and Why?

Post by KSS » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:49 pm

Just what the thread title says.

johnstilton
Common Wiggler

Re: Which Banana Jack Do You Prefer and Why?

Post by johnstilton » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:13 pm

D0CFB5E1-96F5-4BA0-B140-465A2F86EBF3.jpeg
I like these because I was able acquire most of them for free! They are nice because you just trim some wire to length and strip the ends and the plastic cap threads onto the metal post securing the wire. These are not stackable though.

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Post by Brian2020 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:10 pm

Not a very inspired answer but I like Johnson banana jacks with Buchla and the ones sourced from Rapid that are used by BugBrand within a BugBrand system. I like the various characteristics (sometimes different from each other) of those types/brands and I REALLY like banana jacks in a system or format to be consistent (ocd maybe...it just makes me happier if the naners match).
Getting ready for a couple diy projects of different formats where banana jacks will be used so this subject is relevant as it’s been on my mind.

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Post by Brian2020 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:11 pm

Wait, is the male or the female piece considered the jack?

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:35 am

Depends on where you’re from.. in the us, a plug goes into a jack. In the uk a jack goes into a plug. (I think)

I guess socket would be more of a universally understood term for the female side.?

ITT/Pomona for me. Go for the best. Get nos on eBay if Mouser prices scare you.
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:01 am

revtor wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:35 am
Depends on where you’re from.. in the us, a plug goes into a jack. In the uk a jack goes into a plug. (I think)

I guess socket would be more of a universally understood term for the female side.?

ITT/Pomona for me. Go for the best. Get nos on eBay if Mouser prices scare you.
I don't usually say jack (unless maybe talking about guitar leads, but that is something I try and avoid), a plug goes into a socket IMO :hihi:

Emerson/Johnson (or Cinch now?) are the ones I like anyway

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:55 am

Jacks are female. Sockets are female. Banana plugs are male.

Saying "Jack into 'some' thing"* is the closest I've heard to anyone conflating a jack-socket with a plug. For example, I've heard "Jack into that mixer over there!"
"Jack" in that phrase is being used as a verb, not a noun.

*please spare us the potential adolescent responses.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Appreciate the replies!

Can anyone say more about WHY they prefer one or the other?

Consistency within a system and adherence to a given format's typically chosen mfr has been mentioned. Price=quality was hinted at in one reply.

Are there any other criteria used in your selection of one banana jack over another? <--Understanding that the plug may be part of a reason to choose a certain jack. If so, I'd like to hear about it.

hox3d
Common Wiggler

Post by hox3d » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:06 pm

Cinch are the ones I use, because... Because ;)
No special reason, colors are nice and while they are not cheap, they are not expensive.
I've been looking at an alternative (Schutzinger for instance) but one can hardly beat this quality/price ratio (I think).
Matte-fueled habits

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:30 pm

KSS wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:02 pm
Are there any other criteria used in your selection of one banana jack over another?
i spent years using crappy ones, and when I got some 'good' ones the thread on the socket barrel was at least an inch long and it took forever to screw them on, when you are using thousands it matters! I liked the colours of the cinch ones, and the shorter thread (actually that is useful when doing panel PCBs too), and the fact that one could dye them, but that's not a massive issue as I could probably dye the old ones I used.

I did buy loads of the ones that come in about 5 parts, they were useful for big projects as they were cheap, but not great in other ways. They did yellow (age) over the years but I kind of liked that! These below, actually forgot you could mix and match the parts so as you can see could have red/white etc

This also reminds me how much I love those non-stacking banana plugs!
tumblr_psw3beaCyZ1qlogs6o1_1280.jpg

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:21 pm

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:34 pm

The main reason I use my ones (other than price & availability - well, initially, I now get them custom made) is that I can PCB mount the barrel onto the main parallel PCB - so then I have a complete 'circuit block' which slots straight in to the faceplate & gets fixed with pot nuts & the caps of the banana sockets. Easy to put together, easy to take apart if necessary.

I did use other Rapid ones initially, a bit more like the Emerson ones, but these have to be mounted to the panel & then somehow connected to the circuit - I guess you can make this join removable but.. I saw it as a limitation to disassembly.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”