Serge Euro Support

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Serge Euro Support

Post by southphillysynths » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Currently thinking of re-doing my set up drastically in the next few months.

I currently have 12U of Euro and a LW panel. I'm thinking I will sell out of Euro almost entirely and expand to ~3 panels of serge or more.

My question is if anyone is supporting Serge systems with a small amount of Euro. For example I have some Doepfer Utilities (joystick, clock divider, envelope follower, spring reverb, filters) that I could covert to bananajack and use alongside my Serge panels.

The only issue is, I don't really want to keep a euro system at all to avoid the slippery slope of acquiring more Euro and diverting my focus from Serge. It is much cheaper to adapt a few doepfer modules like filters and utilities than have a whole custom panel built in Serge to cover the same function.

Any help/insight into this is greatly appreciated!!
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Serge Euro Support

Post by the bad producer » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:44 pm

I think you prompted me to think about this recently! I was thinking I could just get a 4u panel (full 17”, rather than modules) made for the things I wanted to keep. It’s pretty easy to bananafiy most doepfer stuff, but you do have to take the module apart - if doing that why not just put the module back on a new panel?! I thought about filling the 1U extra with utilities etc...

aethyr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aethyr » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:48 pm

I prefer fixed systems, its too fiddly to try this, buy and/or trade that. The financial impact of trying a new panel can keep your system from growing at an alarming rate. Back on topic!

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:57 pm

the bad producer wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:44 pm
I think you prompted me to think about this recently! I was thinking I could just get a 4u panel (full 17”, rather than modules) made for the things I wanted to keep. It’s pretty easy to bananafiy most doepfer stuff, but you do have to take the module apart - if doing that why not just put the module back on a new panel?! I thought about filling the 1U extra with utilities etc...

I have indeed! Thank you as always for the insight! It would be easy to keep one row of euro with the above mentioned doepfer stuff and bananify them, but part of me really wants to commit to just making that into another full panel. Especially the joysticks, could be worth having just one boat for the LW individual module format...
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:36 am

aethyr wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:48 pm
I prefer fixed systems, its too fiddly to try this, buy and/or trade that. The financial impact of trying a new panel can keep your system from growing at an alarming rate. Back on topic!
That is exactly what I want to avoid, the constant possibility of a quickly changing/growing system!
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

tele_player
Common Wiggler

Post by tele_player » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:56 am

This idea popped into my head recently: a Serge panel that has a cutout for mounting, maybe 50-60 HP of Euro, and fill the rest of the panel with banana adapters, attenuverters, whatever is needed to use Euro. Behind the panel, some power distribution to energize the Euro modules from Serge power.

There are lots of interesting, fairly cheap, Euro modules.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:29 am

Right, I'm very familiar with Euro and have been in the format for ~8 years. I just feel like I will find more excuses to get more Euro rather than focus on my Serge if I have both you know?
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:45 am

I have R*S serge eurorack format modules with a few Doepfer/Manhattan Analog utilities as support (everything with eurojacks and power). For my taste, having and playing the Serge makes me want to configure that as a definite system and not as a separate thing-- interoperability with Eurorack generally is fine, but the workflow is so different, you know? Like the appeal of serge for me is the patch programming so most other modules are not required so I have things like very vanilla clock dividers/mixers, an A152 (to make the sequencer addressable/other switch functions).

So my experience has largely been the opposite: the inclusion of serge has made me push out other eurorack!

Biom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biom » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:54 pm

A highly relevant topic, I think, as euro is a strong argument and includes Elby and RS for now, unlike 10 years ago, when going 4u was the only option (which is also great).
luketeaford made a good point and southphillysynths's question isn't rare these days, I guess.
Most definitely the 4u instrument is more playable and tactile, while euro is more personalised and easier to gig with.

In my experience Doepfer or Intellijel (especially 1U) utilities along with some powerful, innovative sequencers would not do any harm at all, whether it's Serge or anything else. There always be euro modules that is hard to get rid of.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”