Random Source's TKB

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

chiavere
Common Wiggler

Re: Random Source's TKB

Post by chiavere » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:47 pm

To clarify, it’s only quantized via the keypad output jack, but you can tune it and play with the keypads however you want using the A-D CV outs - you could even play up to 5-note chords with the keypads and all the outs if you wanted to get really nuts - here’s a TKB (THC, not R*S) sample I made (not chords, though, hahaha!) :

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6LkXOlhKL ... 3yzody5vaf

qwoned
Common Wiggler

Post by qwoned » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 am

thanks! yeah for some reason I initially confounded the semitonal-quantization of the KEY output with the unquantized voltage A-D out. I noticed your IG clip when posted and it helpfully served to corroborate what others clarified here for me. TKB is a very high acquisition priority for me—still need to get my voice and control panels first, however. but who cares! thanks again!

chiavere
Common Wiggler

Post by chiavere » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:17 am

qwoned wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 am
thanks! yeah for some reason I initially confounded the semitonal-quantization of the KEY output with the unquantized voltage A-D out. I noticed your IG clip when posted and it helpfully served to corroborate what others clarified here for me. TKB is a very high acquisition priority for me—still need to get my voice and control panels first, however. but who cares! thanks again!
:tu: Cool - happy to help, and looking forward to hearing what you get up to with your Serge!

qwoned
Common Wiggler

Post by qwoned » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:45 pm

chiavere wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:17 am
qwoned wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 am
:tu: Cool - happy to help, and looking forward to hearing what you get up to with your Serge!
my most recent record was all Serge, completed right before I had to sell it—published on CO-DEPENDENT:

chiavere
Common Wiggler

Post by chiavere » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:19 pm

qwoned wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:45 pm
my most recent record was all Serge, completed right before I had to sell it—published on CO-DEPENDENT:
Great, will check it!

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:03 am

Mine just arrived today ! What a beast ! Here's some acid :

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:52 pm

:party: :party: :party:

The Junglechrist wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:03 am

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Post by Brian2020 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:36 pm

The Junglechrist wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:03 am

Looking forward to seeing the TKB in future videos. Thanks for sharing that clip.

Edit: Wow, this looks like it would be even more fun to jam with than I imagined

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:08 am

Hello everyone ! Here is a new one in my Wired Brain channel Patch From Scratch series with two 0-Coast controlled by a single R*S TKB, it's a very fun setup to explore !

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:30 am

I have a quick question - if you press 2 or more keys at the same time, are the combined voltages added to the appropriate row output jack? I use the swamp currently and looking for the same functionality of multiple combined button / pad presses.

dksynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dksynth » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:15 am

mudlogger wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:30 am
I have a quick question - if you press 2 or more keys at the same time, are the combined voltages added to the appropriate row output jack? I use the swamp currently and looking for the same functionality of multiple combined button / pad presses.
If I recall snippets here and there they implemented a priority encoder so no more multi-note freak outs. On the TKB pressing multiple pads causes a noisy jumping around. On the Swamp/Programmer/CGS style multiple notes give you different voltages. “Someone” I know could probably build you a 16 step swamp style with touch pads ;)

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:22 pm

dksynth wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:15 am
mudlogger wrote:
If I recall snippets here and there they implemented a priority encoder so no more multi-note freak outs. On the TKB pressing multiple pads causes a noisy jumping around. On the Swamp/Programmer/CGS style multiple notes give you different voltages. “Someone” I know could probably build you a 16 step swamp style with touch pads ;)
Thanks - if it's a note stealing / priority 1 note kind of deal with combined presses on the TKB, then that wouldn't work for me. I'm looking for something like AND type logic instead of OR type. I'll stick with what I have, and maybe mod the buttons on my Swamp. You can see here how I play it. It's a very specific way that I don't want to change as it gives me a large combination of voltages depending on different combined button presses. This is off my "In Blue" Serge improv album

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:42 am

mudlogger wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:22 pm
dksynth wrote:
mudlogger wrote:
Thanks - if it's a note stealing / priority 1 note kind of deal with combined presses on the TKB, then that wouldn't work for me. I'm looking for something like AND type logic instead of OR type. I'll stick with what I have, and maybe mod the buttons on my Swamp. You can see here how I play it. It's a very specific way that I don't want to change as it gives me a large combination of voltages depending on different combined button presses. This is off my "In Blue" Serge improv album
Good time to see this. A very good point, mudlogger.
Need to re-assess the programmer SEQ modules with this in mind. I want at least one of each type. Thanks.

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:47 am

New Patch From Scratch with the TKB and Mantra over here :

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fonik » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:49 am

dksynth wrote:
mudlogger wrote:
There is a jumper on the rear to set the TKB to "classic" mode w/o key priority.
Big Boss at fonitronik.de
Tech Buddy at Random*Source/Serge

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:53 am

Double post
Last edited by mudlogger on Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:59 am

In classic mode, does pressing multiple pads sum columns to the appropriate ABC and D outs? I am assuming yes in Classic mode. Also does it do it, without causing what people have described as “noisy jumping around” There’s no noise jumping at all with multiple Swamp presses but then again it doesn’t have pressure control and wondering what the interference is. The way I play the Swamp is press 3 or 4 columns at the same time, holding them like chords and changing the knob voltages at the same time. So the pulses and cv’s are summed and I’m mixing cv columns on the fly, sometimes whilst the sequencer is clocked, sometimes not clocked.

dksynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dksynth » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:18 am

fonik wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:49 am

There is a jumper on the rear to set the TKB to "classic" mode w/o key priority.
oops

:google

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:42 pm

Hey there TKB people ! Here another shot from a 0-Coast + TKB session :

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:28 am

New Patch From Scratch taking advantage of the vertical clock to make a 64 step sequence with the TKB, modulating various things around in the Mantra :

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:07 am

New Patch from Scratch online at Wired Brain, with a fun touch sequencing madness on the super awesome Mantra + TKB combo :

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:24 am

Back on the TKB vs 0-Coast for this new Patch From Scratch:

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”