Random Source's TKB

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fonik » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:14 am

No kit this time, however, just drop R*S an email, I believe we can work it out.
Big Boss at fonitronik.de
Tech Buddy at Random*Source/Serge

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:29 pm

fonik wrote:finally:
randomsource TKB order page

I think in any case one should contact R*S about configurations.

Are you plenty of pcb, s and panels ? Or do i have to hurry up selling things to buy it now?
It just came out when i'm ran out of cash.

I hope you hace them in stock next month

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fonik » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:14 am

even though this is a small batch, the TKB is not a single run and will constantly be re-stocked.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:07 am

fonik wrote:even though this is a small batch, the TKB is not a single run and will constantly be re-stocked.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:30 am

fonik wrote:No kit this time, however, just drop R*S an email, I believe we can work it out.
I'd be in for a kit, if they decide to do one.

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:37 pm

GrantB wrote:
fonik wrote:No kit this time, however, just drop R*S an email, I believe we can work it out.
I'd be in for a kit, if they decide to do one.
Me two!

dksynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dksynth » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:58 pm

according to what was said on FB, no kit or DIY version is planned.

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fonik » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:08 am

The new Serge/R*S TKB in action:

[video][/video]

JesperP
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JesperP » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:56 am

fonik wrote:The new Serge/R*S TKB in action:

[video][/video]
Beautiful! :nana: I had a go on the new TKB at Patch Point and it shure is a lot of fun. I'll most likely be getting one for my R*S 3u banana Serge.

fonik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fonik » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:49 pm

TKBs with internal PSU

bitone
Common Wiggler

Post by bitone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:26 am

Love the internal PSU route!

Any possibility of silver touchplates kn the future? :hihi:

Either way amazing work

dsf
Common Wiggler

Post by dsf » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Great job.
Diy option would be amazing, 1600 is imposible to cope for me. Bet there are many in this situation willing to put the hours.

teezdalien
Common Wiggler

Post by teezdalien » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:33 pm

dsf wrote:Great job.
Diy option would be amazing, 1600 is imposible to cope for me. Bet there are many in this situation willing to put the hours.
I agree.. While I love the R*S Serge modules and would love to add one of these tkb's to my system.. it's just far too costly for me as well. I get that it's likely justified, but would love to see a cheaper DIY version become available.

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:23 am

Yes, DIY option would be excellent. Even perhaps for a larger group of people (customers) than the ready made..!

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:14 am

batchas wrote:I forgot (thanx Seb!): the KEY output is now trimmed to 1 semitone and that's awesome.
I was wondering if anyone could you clarify this a bit more? does this mean that voltages out of the A, B, C, D outputs will all by quantized in semitone steps?

swannodette
Learning to Wiggle

Post by swannodette » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:23 pm

I was wondering if anyone could you clarify this a bit more? does this mean that voltages out of the A, B, C, D outputs will all by quantized in semitone steps
I believe this applies *only* to the KEY output. This is what I remember when I tried it at PatchPoint in Berlin.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:35 pm

swannodette wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could you clarify this a bit more? does this mean that voltages out of the A, B, C, D outputs will all by quantized in semitone steps
I believe this applies *only* to the KEY output. This is what I remember when I tried it at PatchPoint in Berlin.
Yes it´s just for playing the touch keyboard.

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:44 pm

swannodette wrote:
excuse my ignorance, but which one is the "Key" output? I know that A,B, C, D outputs correspond to the CV's set at eac step for each row. Image

qwoned
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qwoned » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:54 pm

FatRocky wrote:
swannodette wrote:
is it just me or is this an arbitrary structural decision? moreover, isn't such quantization contrary to the entire ethos of Serge design? "giving musicians the opportunity to symbiotically connect with electronics unadulterated with 'musical concepts'" …?

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:57 pm

qwoned wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
swannodette wrote:
is it just me or is this an arbitrary structural decision? moreover, isn't such quantization contrary to the entire ethos of Serge design? "giving musicians the opportunity to symbiotically connect with electronics unadulterated with 'musical concepts'" …?
the original did it too so I guess since Serge designed it its aligned with his ethos
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

qwoned
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qwoned » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:09 pm

rico loverde wrote:
qwoned wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
swannodette wrote:
the original did it too so I guess since Serge designed it its aligned with his ethos
f. okay. obviously I didn't know this! thank you for informing me. disappointing nonetheless…

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:14 pm

qwoned wrote:
rico loverde wrote:
qwoned wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
swannodette wrote:
f. okay. obviously I didn't know this! thank you for informing me. disappointing nonetheless…
I'm having a hard time imagining a quantization scheme for the KV out that imposes less of a musical concept than 16 equal steps. Did you have something in mind?

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:22 pm

GrantB wrote:
qwoned wrote:
rico loverde wrote:
qwoned wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
swannodette wrote:
I'm having a hard time imagining a quantization scheme for the KV out that imposes less of a musical concept than 16 equal steps. Did you have something in mind?
if you don't run it as a sequencer you could still set each pads voltage via the 16 pots, like you would on a pressure points etc...in that sense there would be no quantization per key press. in that case you would use outputs A,B,C,D and if you want the semitones use the keyboard mode. Serge covered all the bases!
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

dksynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dksynth » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Personally I have always set my key output to be a much higher spread than semitones, and I treat it as more of a "positional" value for use in my patch than as pitch values.

When I need it to be a tempered output I just use an attenuverter on whatever it is controlling to cut it back to a musical width.

qwoned
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qwoned » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:04 pm

dksynth wrote:Personally I have always set my key output to be a much higher spread than semitones, and I treat it as more of a "positional" value for use in my patch than as pitch values.

When I need it to be a tempered output I just use an attenuverter on whatever it is controlling to cut it back to a musical width.
sounds good to me! I've realized I neglected to consider using the ABCD outputs as KEY CVs, which bypasses the quantization—as rico loverde so astutely pointed out.

re: "16 steps": Grant B: '16' to me has, at least, a strong connotation of 4/4 metrics, or at least even metric values as an arbitrary yet robustly sedimented Western musicological tendency. obviously Buchla tried to counter this early on with the 5-step programmer etc, so I'm not exactly expecting that, and you're right: it still remains generic enough to not necessarily impose a particular music over another. but it is a sufficient condition to do so, perhaps…[/b]

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”